iPhone for Landout Retrieves - US

Old August 21st 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

Default iPhone for Landout Retrieves - US

Currently I have a Verizon trimode phone [motorola v325]. It did have
the capability to use the analog network in remote areas before that
system was turned off last year. So it had been pretty good at
picking up a signal outside of urban areas/ Soaring=boondocks. Now
that analog is gone are all digital phones about the same?

I wanted to upgrade to a smart phone, probably the iPhone 3s. Does
the iPhone and or AT&T tower network work good for retrieves? Or
would I be better off with a Blackberry or some other smart phone on
the Verizon network?

I suppose having a Spot Messenger make it a bit less critical to get a
phone call trough but after the first spot message a voice call sure
it useful.

Chris
Atlanta
Old August 21st 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:
Currently I have a Verizon trimode phone [motorola v325]. *It did have
the capability to use the analog network in remote areas before that
system was turned off last year. *So it had been pretty good at
picking up a signal outside of urban areas/ Soaring=boondocks. *Now
that analog is gone are all digital phones about the same?

I wanted to upgrade to a smart phone, probably the iPhone 3s. *Does
the iPhone and or AT&T tower network work good for retrieves? *Or
would I be better off with a Blackberry or some other smart phone on
the Verizon network?

I suppose having a Spot Messenger make it a bit less critical to get a
phone call trough but after the first spot message a voice call sure
it useful.

Chris
Atlanta

Hi Chris,

To some extent, I think it depends on which boondocks (Western or
Eastern) you're talking about. FWIW, my Blackberry on the Verizon
network was more-or-less an expensive paperweight from the time I left
Fallon, NV to head south to Yerrington back in June. I had no
signal of any usable quality until we got back to within a relatively
few miles of Reno. This was actually a bit worse than the result
predicted by the Verizon Coverage Map, but it was not unexpected.
Verizon still shows a lot of white space (no coverage) in the
mountains of the western states. Google "mobile coverage" or "cell
phone" on the R.A.S. archives for a thread on this topic recently.

P3
Old August 21st 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Wrobel

On Aug 21, 6:42*am, Papa3 wrote:
On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:

[...]

P3- Hide quoted text -

I was on the Verizon network for 4 years and liked the coverage but
was worried about AT&T's coverage when I went to the new iPhone. To
my surprise, the AT&T coverage was better than Verizon in most areas
that I travel in northern Utah and Southern Idaho. It also worked
better in upstate New York when visiting my parents this summer.
There are always going to be places that you don't get coverage but I
am happy with my choice. In areas that have marginal coverage, a text
will go out when a call cannot be initiated since the text only takes
a fraction of a second to go while the voice needs more reliable
reseption. I also carry a SPOT for those places tha I don't have
coverage.

DW
Old August 21st 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Aug 21, 6:34*am, Dan Wrobel wrote:
On Aug 21, 6:42*am, Papa3 wrote:

On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that when coverage is marginal you can often get a text
message through where a voice call won't, irrespective of carrier.

9B
Old August 21st 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

On Aug 21, 6:42*am, Papa3 wrote:

On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:

[...]

DW- Hide quoted text -

Which brings up the topic. Which provider (ATT, Verizon,Sprint etc)
and where is better today? I am with Verizon, because it appeared to
have greater coverage on the west coast a couple of years ago.
Anything changed???? PeterK
Old August 21st 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Aug 21, 6:42*am, Papa3 wrote:

On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:

[...]

I had a Razr V3 which provided great coverage in the Seattle area
including north of Seattte at altitude, I moved to the iPhone on ATT
and now have marginal coverage. I love the iPhone although I don't
think it is a very good phone, it's the other features that have
value. I've been thinking about getting a Verizon pay-per-use contract
just for the plane at about $100/year. I suspect it is a location
issue and that other areas will be different.

Brian
Old August 21st 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bod43

On Aug 21, 6:42*am, Papa3 wrote:

On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:

[...]

Since no one has mentioned it -
http://www.iridium.com/
Obviously quite costly.

As mentioned SMS or maybe even data (email), sometimes
gets through when voice does not on normal mobile networks.

A possible option might be to see if you can get a phone
that can be used with an external antenna to improve
reception.

Old August 21st 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Aug 21, 8:26*am, chris wrote:
Currently I have a Verizon trimode phone [motorola v325]. *It did have
the capability to use the analog network in remote areas before that
system was turned off last year. *So it had been pretty good at
picking up a signal outside of urban areas/ Soaring=boondocks. *Now
that analog is gone are all digital phones about the same?

I wanted to upgrade to a smart phone, probably the iPhone 3s. *Does
the iPhone and or AT&T tower network work good for retrieves? *Or
would I be better off with a Blackberry or some other smart phone on
the Verizon network?

I suppose having a Spot Messenger make it a bit less critical to get a
phone call trough but after the first spot message a voice call sure
it useful.

Chris
Atlanta

I love my iPhone.
But, what's a retrieve ?
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old August 22nd 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

brianDG303 wrote:

Which brings up the topic. Which provider (ATT, Verizon,Sprint etc)
and where is better today? I am with Verizon, because it appeared to
have greater coverage on the west coast a couple of years ago.
Anything changed???? PeterK

I had a Razr V3 which provided great coverage in the Seattle area
including north of Seattte at altitude, I moved to the iPhone on ATT
and now have marginal coverage.

On the ground or in the air? My experience/observation is coverage in
the air really took a hit when the analog towers were turned off.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old August 22nd 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Dave Nadler wrote:

I wanted to upgrade to a smart phone, probably the iPhone 3s. Does
the iPhone and or AT&T tower network work good for retrieves? Or
would I be better off with a Blackberry or some other smart phone on
the Verizon network?

I suppose having a Spot Messenger make it a bit less critical to get a
phone call trough but after the first spot message a voice call sure
it useful.

Chris
Atlanta

I love my iPhone.
But, what's a retrieve ?
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

It's what happens when you push the motor lever forward in the air!

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

iPhone and /G A Guy Called Tyketto Piloting 2 June 17th 08 12:01 AM
iPhone and /G A Guy Called Tyketto Instrument Flight Rules 2 June 17th 08 12:01 AM
iPhone in the air Ramy Soaring 2 June 3rd 08 12:03 AM
E6B for iPhone? C J Campbell[_1_] Piloting 16 September 27th 07 03:54 AM
Evans (Apollo 17) Retrieves Film Canister During Space Walk 7036667.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 9th 07 01:37 PM