Next step in the 175B, insurance companies are a pain! CS prop question

Old August 19th 03, 05:11 AM
Wayne

Default Next step in the 175B, insurance companies are a pain! CS prop question

Well, sent my info to the insurance, they got back to me, through one of
the other partners, and said they needed more information. They wanted to
know how many hours I had in a 175B, I said I had none, but shouldn't the
172 count? It's the same except for the CS prop. So I gave them what they
wanted, and they said that I was covered now for dual until I got 2 hours
and a sign off. Went and did that tonight, now I'll fax them a copy of the
signoff and away I go! I hope. I won't be suprised if they want something
else though.

Love the plane though, man what a difference from a 150. 15 years older
than what I was flying and so much nicer. I only wish it had a back window
so I could hold centerline better.

Still a little weired out about the CS prop though. Read what I could
find and it seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion on what is
right and wrong. Some say climb at 24MP and 2400 RPM prop. Cruise at 23
squared. The tach has a red area marked and is noted that you shouldn't run
in that range for an extended period, it's around 1700-2000 RPM's I think.
What's up with that? Vibration? Harmonics? I was also told to use full prop
if under 100MPH or under 15MP. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Wayne

Old August 19th 03, 05:19 AM
BTIZ

squared. The tach has a red area marked and is noted that you shouldn't
run
in that range for an extended period, it's around 1700-2000 RPM's I think.
What's up with that? Vibration? Harmonics? I was also told to use full

prop
if under 100MPH or under 15MP. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Wayne

Yes, harmonics and vibrations, there are many aircraft that have similar
limitations, the C177 comes to mind, and also some 3 bladed Arrows.

Full Prop if under 100MPH? not sure about why that one.. but I'm sure the
idea of going to full prop (high RPM) when under 15in MP, you are most
likely below the "prop governing range" and want the best performance, if
your under 15in MP you are either "throttled back" for descent, or very high
MSL.

enjoy the plane..
BT

Old August 19th 03, 04:04 PM
Ron Natalie

"Wayne" wrote in message ...

Still a little weired out about the CS prop though. Read what I could
find and it seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion on what is
right and wrong. Some say climb at 24MP and 2400 RPM prop. Cruise at 23
squared. The tach has a red area marked and is noted that you shouldn't run
in that range for an extended period, it's around 1700-2000 RPM's I think.
What's up with that? Vibration? Harmonics? I was also told to use full prop
if under 100MPH or under 15MP. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Get you to your POH. Do NOT listen to old wives tales especially when it
comes to geared engines. Running the GO-300 at incorrectly l low RPM
settings is one of the reason they got a bad name.

Old August 19th 03, 04:06 PM
Ron Natalie

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:sxh0b.5319$Qy4.1728@fed1read05...

Full Prop if under 100MPH? not sure about why that one.. but I'm sure the
idea of going to full prop (high RPM) when under 15in MP, you are most
likely below the "prop governing range" and want the best performance, if
your under 15in MP you are either "throttled back" for descent, or very high

Bad idea in geared engines to run the prop forward in descents. There's always
a tiny amount of play in the gearbox. You don't want to spend a lot of time
with the prop driving the engine.

Old August 20th 03, 03:43 AM
Wayne

Yeah as well and diving and running the engine rpm up from the dive. But
mine has an O-360, not the old O-300. The POH isn't so easy since it's a
mod. The 100MPH and 15MP came from an O-360 manual if I remember right.
Wayne

Old August 20th 03, 05:06 AM

On 18-Aug-2003, "Wayne" wrote:

Still a little weired out about the CS prop though. Read what I could
find and it seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion on what
is right and wrong. Some say climb at 24MP and 2400 RPM prop. Cruise at 23
squared. The teach has a red area marked and is noted that you shouldn't
run in that range for an extended period, it's around 1700-2000 RPM's I
think.
What's up with that? Vibration? Harmonics? I was also told to use full
prop if under 100MPH or under 15MP. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

The STC covering the engine change should have included a supplement for the
POH (actually, it's probably an "Owner's Manual" on an old Cessna). This
supplement should include a new set of performance charts that allow you to
figure, among other things, percentage of power at given MP/RPM settings.
Which to use? Well, for TO and max performance climb the prop should be at
max RPM. The prop control should also be put full forward after you retard
the throttle to land. (Do it earlier in the pattern and the sudden increase
in engine speed will likely give a start to your passengers.)

For cruise, any recommended MP/RPM combination is fine. You may find that
the engine runs smoother at some settings than at others. Of course, you
should avoid RPM settings in the red arc, which may cause excessive
sympathetic vibrations.

You have probably already been instructed that, in making power changes that
involve both throttle and prop controls, you should pull back on the
throttle first (for reducing power) and push forward on the prop control
first (for increasing power).

-Elliott Drucker
Old August 20th 03, 04:07 PM
Ron Natalie

"Wayne" wrote in message ...
This one's not geared, it was replaced with an O-360

Nevermind.