New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS

Old June 26th 05, 11:27 PM
Charles Oppermann

Right now, I think the Garmin G1000 is going to be better supported than
the system in the Cirrus.

And just what makes you think that ? I think you are confused, or maybe
you
work for Garmin's marketing department.

I don't work for Garmin. My opinion is based on the adoption rate of the
G1000 and my own experiences flying the SR-22 and aircraft with the G1000.

The KAP-140 is an excellent 3-axis autopilot.

Sure it is, if you don't like GPS roll steering, and you enjoy retesting
your static system every time you pull it out for repair or adjustment.
The
KAP-140 is a two axis autopilot and the variant that comes in the 182 is
two
axis with altitude preselect, not 3 axis. At least on the Cirrus the
autopilot's altitude preselect is on the PFD.

I mis-spoke, you are of course correct that the KAP-140 is a 2-axis system.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with regard to the static system in my
plane. Can you go into futher detail?

Old June 26th 05, 11:57 PM
Meat Eater

I don't work for Garmin. My opinion is based on the adoption rate of the
G1000 and my own experiences flying the SR-22 and aircraft with the G1000.

Surely you mean the C182 with the G1000.

My point was that your statement is one - sided since Cirrus makes a lot
more SR-22s than Cessna makes C182s. Granted, Cirrus doesn't give you an
option, but based on how many are sold, saying the Garmin will support the
G1000 more or better than Avidyne will support their Entegra is baseless.

The KAP-140 is an excellent 3-axis autopilot.

Sure it is, if you don't like GPS roll steering, and you enjoy retesting
your static system every time you pull it out for repair or adjustment.
The
KAP-140 is a two axis autopilot and the variant that comes in the 182 is
two
axis with altitude preselect, not 3 axis. At least on the Cirrus the
autopilot's altitude preselect is on the PFD.

I mis-spoke, you are of course correct that the KAP-140 is a 2-axis

system.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with regard to the static system in

my
plane. Can you go into futher detail?

The KAP-140's static pressure sensor is inside the instrument panel mounted
computer unit. The static plumbing goes to the back of the autopilot tray.
That means any time you pull the KAP-140 out, like if it needs replacement
or adjustment, you're also breaking open the static system, which means you
have to do a static leak test. It's not a big deal as long as you never
need to pull the KAP140 out, but in my experience, you will. I haven't
found the STEC autopilots to have any better reliability, but at least
you're not forced to static leak check every time since they use a separate
sensor.

Old June 27th 05, 01:56 AM
Charles Oppermann

I don't work for Garmin. My opinion is based on the adoption rate of the
G1000 and my own experiences flying the SR-22 and aircraft with the
G1000.

Surely you mean the C182 with the G1000.

Actually I meant flying the SR-22 with their system (which I did in a
pre-certified model at the Cirrus factory in August 2002) and flying the new
G1000 in a C182T.

My point was that your statement is one - sided since Cirrus makes a lot
more SR-22s than Cessna makes C182s. Granted, Cirrus doesn't give you an
option, but based on how many are sold, saying the Garmin will support the
G1000 more or better than Avidyne will support their Entegra is baseless.

I don't think it's baseless - Garmin is a much bigger company and has been
very aggressive in adding functionality to their existing models, which have
been standard and optional equipment on many different models for quite
awhile now.

I'm not knocking Avidyne in the slightest - although my experience with the
software on the pre-certified model was mixed. It's just that I feel
Garmin's dealer and service structure is more established. It's a gut feel,
I haven't done research in this area.

plane. Can you go into futher detail?

The KAP-140's static pressure sensor is inside the instrument panel
mounted
computer unit. The static plumbing goes to the back of the autopilot
tray.
That means any time you pull the KAP-140 out, like if it needs replacement
or adjustment, you're also breaking open the static system, which means
you
have to do a static leak test. It's not a big deal as long as you never
need to pull the KAP140 out, but in my experience, you will. I haven't
found the STEC autopilots to have any better reliability, but at least
you're not forced to static leak check every time since they use a
separate
sensor.

Interesting, thanks.

Old June 27th 05, 02:09 AM
Peter Clark

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:57:13 GMT, "Meat Eater" wrote:

I mis-spoke, you are of course correct ument panel mounted

computer unit. The static plumbing goes to the back of the autopilot tray.
That means any time you pull the KAP-140 out, like if it needs replacement
or adjustment, you're also breaking open the static system, which means you
have to do a static leak test. It's not a big deal as long as you never
need to pull the KAP140 out, but in my experience, you will. I haven't
found the STEC autopilots to have any better reliability, but at least
you're not forced to static leak check every time since they use a separate
sensor.

IIUC, the 172/182 KAP140 install (at least ones done at the factory)
have a second static port dedicated to the autopilot, it's not plumbed
into the port that feeds the standard (or ADC/backup instruments in
the case of the G1000) instruments.

Old June 27th 05, 02:27 AM
Tim B

When (if ever) will Cirrus offer the Turbo with the electronic engine
control? It seems right up their alley (technology plus cruise performance)
to offer it except for maybe the insurance issues.

I hope they will decide to compete with the Columbia 400.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Cessna and Cirrus brought one of each to the Angel Flight fly-in at PNS
yesterday, and I got the sales pitch from each rep. No test flights,
alas.

Both are highly desirable airplanes, of course, but I was surprised at how
closely I rated them as a potential buyer:

* Speed: Cirrus wins big: 40+ KTAS faster. The Cessna rep. claimed 135
for the Skylane, which seems a bit pokey for an airframe that has
supposedly had an extensive aerodynamic cleanup.

* Cost: 182 wins big: ~$100k lower sticker price and $3.5k insurance
premium vs. $8k(!) for the SR-22. The Cirrus guy said mine might be as
much as $1.5k lower since I have 1,000 hours, an instrument rating and
600+ hours of retract time.

* Useful load: Slight edge to the 182; 1213 lbs. vs. 1150 lbs.

* ROC: Cirrus wins big; 1,400 fpm vs. 923 fpm.

* Takeoff/Landing performance: 182 wins big. Although they are pretty
close on takeoff, the Skylane is 1,000' better landing over a 50'
obstacle.

* Interior: Very slight edge to Cirrus. It's a bit roomier, and the
accessibility of controls and switches without a yoke in the way is very
good. The 182 was very nice inside, too. The redesigned instrument panel
puts the switches easily to hand, and they have nice big handles and
labels. The no-nonsense metal panel is a great improvement over the old
plastic crap - overall, the interior gives the impression of utility and
durability. With the seat at max. vertical adjustment, the view over the
glare shield seems a bit better than in older Skylanes.

* Avionics: A tie. The displays looked terrific in full daylight. The
182 does not have XM weather on the Garmin MFD yet, but Cessna says it
will be added at no cost when it's available. For now, 182s are delivered
wit a B/K KAP-140 autopilot; later models will have a new Garmin ap built
into the G-1000.

So if I were of a mind to plunk down a few hundred large for a new piston
single, I might have trouble choosing between these two very nice rides.
The SR-22 is more airplane, but it's a lot more money, too. Cessna has
done a fine job modernizing the 182, IMO, and I'd be very happy to own
one.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 27th 05, 02:34 AM
Matt Barrow

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Cessna and Cirrus brought one of each to the Angel Flight fly-in at PNS
yesterday, and I got the sales pitch from each rep. No test flights,
alas.

For about the same money I'd rather have a Lancair Columbia 350.

http://www.flycolumbia.com/Aircraft/...ficationsC350/

(And no parachute required).

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 27th 05, 02:35 AM
Matt Barrow

"Charles Oppermann" wrote in message
Both are highly desirable airplanes, of course, but I was surprised at

how
closely I rated them as a potential buyer:

* Speed: Cirrus wins big: 40+ KTAS faster. The Cessna rep. claimed 135
for the Skylane, which seems a bit pokey for an airframe that has
supposedly had an extensive aerodynamic cleanup.

But it's still the same basic airframe. There is only so much you can do.
The Cirrus has a composite body that is lighter and much more aerodynamic
with less drag.

And it's 300 HP vs 235.

Old June 27th 05, 02:41 AM
Matt Barrow

"Tim B" wrote in message
When (if ever) will Cirrus offer the Turbo with the electronic engine
control? It seems right up their alley (technology plus cruise

performance)
to offer it except for maybe the insurance issues.

I hope they will decide to compete with the Columbia 400.

Compare the Lancair 350 to the Cirrus SR-22 and what do you get?

Old June 27th 05, 03:22 AM

Dan Luke wrote:
Cessna and Cirrus brought one of each to the Angel Flight fly-in at PNS
yesterday, and I got the sales pitch from each rep. No test flights,
alas.

Both are highly desirable airplanes, of course, but I was surprised at
how closely I rated them as a potential buyer:

* Speed: Cirrus wins big: 40+ KTAS faster. The Cessna rep. claimed 135
for the Skylane, which seems a bit pokey for an airframe that has
supposedly had an extensive aerodynamic cleanup.

The Stearman flies slowly enough that one has time to enjoy the view as
the world slips by at 100 mph - The Stearman wins!

* Cost: 182 wins big: ~$100k lower sticker price and $3.5k insurance
premium vs. $8k(!) for the SR-22. The Cirrus guy said mine might be as
much as $1.5k lower since I have 1,000 hours, an instrument rating and
600+ hours of retract time.

One could buy a Stearman for the $100G's. The Stearman wins again!

* Useful load: Slight edge to the 182; 1213 lbs. vs. 1150 lbs.

The Stearman is a load unto herself. I've cracked a rib trying to move
her around on the ground (really, and it was stupid and it *hurt*!).
In a previous life, she was fitted with a huge hopper to spray crops.
I'm not sure what a few hundred gallons of insecticide weighs, but...
The Stearman wins AGAIN!

* ROC: Cirrus wins big; 1,400 fpm vs. 923 fpm.

Swinging that beautiful wooden prop and with 220 roaring HP... uh, go
back up and reread about enjoying the view again. You'll be very close
to it for a long time.

* Takeoff/Landing performance: 182 wins big. Although they are pretty
close on takeoff, the Skylane is 1,000' better landing over a 50'
obstacle.

The Stearman has a wing that kinda gets in the way when you land.
Since one can't even see the 50' obstacle, why worry about how close
you can land to it?

* Interior: Very slight edge to Cirrus. It's a bit roomier, and the
accessibility of controls and switches without a yoke in the way is very
good. The 182 was very nice inside, too. The redesigned instrument
panel puts the switches easily to hand, and they have nice big handles
and labels. The no-nonsense metal panel is a great improvement over the
old plastic crap - overall, the interior gives the impression of utility
and durability. With the seat at max. vertical adjustment, the view
over the glare shield seems a bit better than in older Skylanes.

What's an "interior"???

* Avionics: A tie. The displays looked terrific in full daylight. The
182 does not have XM weather on the Garmin MFD yet, but Cessna says it
will be added at no cost when it's available. For now, 182s are
delivered wit a B/K KAP-140 autopilot; later models will have a new
Garmin ap built into the G-1000.

The "display" is viewed over the nose and is framed by airplane wings
and flying wires. My "autopilot" is really cute and sits in the front
cockpit. No contest on either point, boys.

A few other important things you forgot to talk about:

Landings - In the Stearman, everyone and their grandmother will flock
to watch when you enter the pattern, and the Stearman has a
not-undeserved reputation for being... interesting.... when she comes
back to Earth. You will absolutely, positively, concentrate during
every landing to polish-and-shine your landing technique. Or else.

Engine Starts - What's it take to start a Cirrus? Punch a few buttons,
wiggle a knob, and it rolls over and runs. Bah! The Stearman requires
priming the engine (it's at the front of the plane, about 12 feet
forward of the cockpit, btw), then running around to the cockpit to hit
the starter before that gas all boils away. One good chug, then BAWHAM
and CHUGG and POOOFF! and a humongous cloud of smoke announces that
real aviation is about to take place. Unless you miss something a
little bit and she doesn't start. In that case, you get to unstrap and
climb back out and walk back around the wing and prime her again....

Then there are the bugs. OK, you might win on that one. :-|

-Dave Russell
N2S-3

Old June 27th 05, 05:18 AM
Jay Honeck

Then there are the bugs. OK, you might win on that one. :-|

-Dave Russell
N2S-3

Boy, you got that right, Dave. I'd take a Stearman over both the 182 and
the SR-22.

A Lancair 400? Well, I sat in one today, and Mary had a hard time pulling
me out -- so *that* would be a tough call...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA