NDB IAPs... going... gone

Old August 24th 05, 08:22 PM
Dave Butler

xyzzy wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"xyzzy" wrote in message

GPS's have a lot to do with NDBs. An approach-certified GPS is a
legal substitute for an ADF.

It is in many cases, but an NDB approach isn't one of them.

A distinction I did not know. thanks for the clarification!

xyzzy:

It's a question your flying club's chief instructor likes to ask... so now you
know. :-)

Dave
Old August 24th 05, 09:09 PM
xyzzy

Dave Butler wrote:

xyzzy wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"xyzzy" wrote in message

GPS's have a lot to do with NDBs. An approach-certified GPS is a
legal substitute for an ADF.

It is in many cases, but an NDB approach isn't one of them.

A distinction I did not know. thanks for the clarification!

xyzzy:

It's a question your flying club's chief instructor likes to ask... so
now you know. :-)

Let me get through the instrument checkride first, then I'll worry about
him!

--
"You can support the troops but not the president"
--Representative Tom Delay (R-TX), during the Kosovo war.

Old August 31st 05, 01:36 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Some, perhaps many, NDB approaches had a GPS overlay approach that
could be legally flown with an approach approved GPS. When the NDB
went away so did the approach procedures, including the GPS overlay
approach. Ref SDL AZ.

Looks more like the NDB or GPS-B approach became the RNAV (GPS)-D approach
with the decommissioning of the NDB.

Old August 31st 05, 08:50 PM
Andy

The SDL NDB previously located at KSDL provided an approach to KDVT.
That approach procedure is gone. The RNAV approaches to KDVT do not
provide practice for holding at the IAF/FAF. I'm based at KDVT.

Andy

Old September 1st 05, 04:18 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

The SDL NDB previously located at KSDL provided an approach to KDVT.

So no more NDB or GPS RWY 25L approach. Instead there's now an RNAV (GPS)
RWY 25L approach. What's the problem with that?

That approach procedure is gone. The RNAV approaches to KDVT do not
provide practice for holding at the IAF/FAF. I'm based at KDVT.

The IAF for the RNAV (GPS) RWY 25L approach to DVT is CIPLU, there is a
charted holding pattern at that fix.