XC Sickness

Old July 11th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default XC Sickness

It's sad. Nobody warned me. I used to be happy just flying around
near the airport. I didn't have a truck. I didn't have a "crew", I
always knew where I was going to land.
They don't tell you that you won't be happy just flying around near
the airport after you've flown a little XC.
Does this ease off a bit with time? I'm only half kidding about the
above. Last week I flew my best long distance flight ever, and I was
no-kidding giddy about it for DAYS. Fine, but now I seem to be
obsessed with getting a LONGER flight in. Am I just sick or does it
affect others the same way?

Thx
Jim

Old July 11th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

On Jul 10, 7:51 pm, Jack wrote:
wrote:

...now I seem to be obsessed with getting a LONGER flight in.
Am I just sick or does it affect others the same way?

Yes.

Jack

Look in the Yellow Pages for "Diamond-a-holics..." The number can be
found between "Crack-a-holics" and "Dragster-a-holics."

Your doctor will just tell you to take a couple of 1-26's and call him
in the morning.

....and it might work: distances SEEM* longer in a 1-26...you have to
earn those kilometers...

-Pete

* The corollary is taken from a marriage counselor debunking a
commonly held myth:
"Married men don't live longer than single men...it just
SEEMS longer." ;-)

P.S.: Yes, I'm happily married: to my crew!

....for now.

Old July 11th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 10, 9:43 pm, wrote:
Am I just sick or does it
affect others the same way?

sounds right to me. welcome to the club.

Old July 11th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

...and it might work: distances SEEM* longer in a 1-26...you have to
earn those kilometers...

I've kinda' got my eye on the MG33SL for sale on Wings and Wheels.
Very pretty, 33 to one. Not down there with a 1-26, but more sporting
than my Speed Astir.

Jim

Old July 11th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Jul 10, 10:43 pm, wrote:

Does this ease off a bit with time? I'm only half kidding about the
above. Last week I flew my best long distance flight ever, and I was
no-kidding giddy about it for DAYS. Fine, but now I seem to be
obsessed with getting a LONGER flight in. Am I just sick or does it
affect others the same way?

Thx
Jim

I got back from a 12-day trip to a nationals where we flew 10 of the
days, totalling several thousand kilomers and probably 40 hours. I
promised the wife that I wouldn't even LOOK at the sky for two
weeks. A few days later, the last big cold front of spring pushes
through, resulting in a couple of days with 1000K potential.

Me. "Honey...."

The wife has pretty much figured it out. "You'll just be miserable
moping around the house and making the rest of us miserable. Just go
and..." No need to finish that sentence.

So, another two days of flying, some 1600K and 15 hours more.

Now, I really promise, I won't even LOOK at the sky for two weeks...

P3

Old July 11th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Jul 11, 11:48 am, Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:43 pm, wrote:

[...]

P3,

after 26 years of marriage and 4 years with the current 'mistress in
the trailer', it now tends to be "WELL, are you going to the field and
WHEN can I expect you home to make dinner?" A fair trade-off IMHO.

Chip F.

Old July 11th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

The key to pilot/crew relationship success is "early indoctrination".
I very clearly remember some 33 years ago explaining to my wife Vicki
(then girlfriend) that I could not spend all night talking on the
phone...I had to put another coat of dope on my model plane so I could
fly it the next day with the school model airplane club. We were
both 12 years old!

Now my wife supports my and our son's "Soaring XC Sickness" a full
110% She even answers for me when invited to weekend social
events...."If it's raining, he'll be there."

I know I am very lucky! I love her very much.

Curt Lewis - 95

On Jul 11, 12:56 pm, chipsoars wrote:
On Jul 11, 11:48 am, Papa3 wrote:

On Jul 10, 10:43 pm, wrote:

[...]

Chip F.- Hide quoted text -

Old July 11th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

My good wife frequently points out that she married me for better or worse (21
years ago)- but NOT for every weekend at the club and certainly not for driving
retrieves.

She thus encourages me to spend quality time with the mistress, and even buys
the mistress gadgets to enhance the liaison. Sometimes one wonders whether her
encouragement to go flying is entirely altruistic, but I am not complaining...

Did nobody mention the sickness has side effects including, but not limited to
inexplicable cravings for arcane software, and exorbitantly priced GPS devices
that can't tell you what road you are on, and any number of other fripperies.

Oh - and then L/D envy starts setting in, and sufferers start surreptitiously
collecting vital statistics information and suggestive pictures.

Enjoy it.
Bruce

Old July 11th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

chipsoars wrote:
On Jul 11, 11:48 am, Papa3 wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:43 pm, wrote:

[...]

By the time I had a girlfriend I was using Monokote on my planes, much
to my mother's relief (dope really stinks up a bedroom). My wife has
accepted the time I put into most hobbies, but she did get a bit edgy
when I was flying U/C Fast Combat. Building 50+ planes a year for 5
contests seemed to bother her. At that, I was at least home on the
weekends by early afternoon. With soaring, I don't go to the field at
the crack of dawn, but I'm rarely home before dark.
I wonder what percentage of glider guiders flew models? I flew damn
near every weekend from 1960 to 2001. That's when the soaring
addiction started.....
Jim