how do you pronounce Grob?

Old February 8th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default how do you pronounce Grob?

I hear most people pronounce Grob with a B on the end. But I dont think
it is actually a B but rather an esset which is a letter in german that
looks like a B but is pronounced as a hard S. So Grob should really be
pronouced Gross.

Old February 8th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hear most people pronounce Grob with a B on the end

Thatīs the correct pronounciation.

So Grob should really be pronouced Gross.

There could be jokes about "Gross" leading to "gross weight", but they are
not pronounced that way ;-))

Michael

Old February 8th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
"Michael Huber" wrote:

I hear most people pronounce Grob with a B on the end

Thatīs the correct pronounciation.

So Grob should really be pronouced Gross.

There could be jokes about "Gross" leading to "gross weight", but they are
not pronounced that way ;-))

The funnier joke is that grob is the Russian word for coffin.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old February 8th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is it "Grow"b?
Is it "graw"b?

Old February 8th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Is it "Grow"b?
Is it "graw"b?

I've heard it pronounced "led swan"
;-)

Shawn
Old February 8th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've had a look at Grob's web site. The b at the end
of the word is just an ordinary b and there is no umlaut
on the o.
Therefore you should pronounce Grob almost exactly
as you would in English, with a short 'o' sound. It
is not Grobe or Gross!

The old Grob Twin Astir acquired the nickname of 'The
Concrete Swan' in the UK.

Derek Copeland
------------------------------

Old February 8th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Derek Copeland wrote:
I've had a look at Grob's web site. The b at the end
of the word is just an ordinary b and there is no umlaut
on the o.
Therefore you should pronounce Grob almost exactly
as you would in English, with a short 'o' sound. It
is not Grobe or Gross!

The old Grob Twin Astir acquired the nickname of 'The
Concrete Swan' in the UK.

Derek Copeland

That was it! Concrete or lead, I've had many great flights in the 102
and 103.

Shawn

Old February 8th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In message , Shawn
writes
Derek Copeland wrote:
I've had a look at Grob's web site. The b at the end
of the word is just an ordinary b and there is no umlaut
on the o.
Therefore you should pronounce Grob almost exactly
as you would in English, with a short 'o' sound. It
is not Grobe or Gross!
The old Grob Twin Astir acquired the nickname of 'The
Concrete Swan' in the UK.
Derek Copeland

That was it! Concrete or lead, I've had many great flights in the 102
and 103.

The CS on the 102 definitely stood for Concrete Swan

Robin

A very happy Astir owner, well ex now but I loved her whilst I had her.

Shawn

Is it 'Grow'b?
Is it 'graw'b?

I've heard it pronounced 'led swan'
;-)

--
Robin Birch
Old February 8th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shawn wrote:
Derek Copeland wrote:

I've had a look at Grob's web site. The b at the end
of the word is just an ordinary b and there is no umlaut
on the o.
Therefore you should pronounce Grob almost exactly
as you would in English, with a short 'o' sound. It
is not Grobe or Gross!

The old Grob Twin Astir acquired the nickname of 'The
Concrete Swan' in the UK.

Derek Copeland

That was it! Concrete or lead, I've had many great flights in the 102
and 103.

Shawn

Is it 'Grow'b?
Is it 'graw'b?

I've heard it pronounced 'led swan'
;-)

Generally pronounced to rhyme with "rob" around here.

Maybe the earlier models are slow in roll and the tail is "heavy". But I really
like the G103 Twin Astir, feels a little like a Mercedes Benz. All that momentum
makes it a lot more comfortable than something like a K13 in strong conditions.
In weak conditions it does emulate a well thrown brick...

Maybe I just don't know better, but I like 'em.
--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57

Grob Self Launch R.W. Carpenter Soaring 2 March 28th 04 03:00 AM
Grob 103 SL R.W. Carpenter Soaring 2 March 21st 04 10:21 PM
Help with Grob Needed Scott Soaring 5 January 11th 04 05:07 AM
Help, Need Complete Front Canopy for Grob 103 Carl Buehler Soaring 0 December 28th 03 02:15 AM
Grob 103 bulletin becomes AD Mike Borgelt Soaring 0 October 3rd 03 12:47 AM