GoogleGroups Acting Hinky?

Old April 28th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default GoogleGroups Acting Hinky?

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:18:19 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in :

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:25:23 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in :

... When they see multiple GoogleGroups
accounts being opened by a user with the same IP address, I would hope
they will have a clue about what's going on.

IP addresses can be spoofed.

Some folks have dynamic IP addresses--it's not always
the same for the same user on the same computer.

Marty

That is true. I overlooked that fact. But it's still no excuse for
not terminating the account from which spam is injected into the news
stream in my opinion.
Old April 28th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:

Sure they do. They not only have your IP address, they have the
information (username, password, etc) you used to create your
GoogleGrups account.

If I create a new account and spam with it on Google I just open a new
account when they close the old one.

So you're saying, that it's okay for GoogleGrups not to terminate the
accounts of those who have posted spam from their Usenet gateway,
because there's a possibility of another account being opened from the
same IP address? I disagree. When they see multiple GoogleGroups
accounts being opened by a user with the same IP address, I would hope
they will have a clue about what's going on.

Supernews on the other hand requires me to pay with a credit card or my ISP pays them.

Therefore Supernews has a _disincentive_ for terminating the accounts
of those subscribers who use their Supernews account to inject spam
articles into the news stream. Yet Supernews acts responsibly, and
terminate the accounts of their subscribers who fail to adhere their
terms of use agreement, unlike GoogleGroups.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Google could do a better job but USENET
is a fairly small section of their business where at SuperNews and
others it is their business.

As far as the IP address goes, I can change it by simply unplugging my
cable modem and plugging it back in.
Old April 29th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

none -- not one -- about your own piloting experiences.

So one has to submit those first to read and post here?
Who says so? YOU? *haha*

If you want credibility and a reputation for honesty and authenticity,
then yes, you need to post about PILOTING on rec.aviation.piloting.
That *is* what this newsgroup is purportedly all about, after all.

Honestly, Marty, sometimes it seems like someone sucked all the oxygen
out of Austria...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 29th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Honestly, Marty, sometimes it seems like someone sucked all the oxygen
out of Austria...

I shouldn't do this, but I can't resist...

Jay: Did you see a recent Tonight Show when Jay Leno said a survey found
the most sexually satisfied people where in Austria?

(at least, I'm pretty sure he said Austria...)

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 5th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:55:32 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in :

Seems to me that Google is providing services that are free to
end-users by selling other services to customers.

Of course, that is true. But if it weren't for the content provided
by us, that revenue stream would dry up. Perhaps we should be
entitled to royalty fees. :-)