Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

Old May 20th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberman[_2_]

Default Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

On May 19, 9:21*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
BDS writes:
what do you think you will notice first and
probably before anything else, and what will you do about it?

It will probably sound different if it fails. *In some cases engine indicators
on the instrument panel may reveal a problem first. If anything goes wrong
with the engine(s), I'll land at the next available airport.

ANSWER HIS QUESTION ABOVE. WHICH ENGINE INDICATORS

I am sure curious myself on what you say.

Or is it you do not know aircraft systems?????????????????????

Old May 20th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

A Lieberman writes:

ANSWER HIS QUESTION ABOVE. WHICH ENGINE INDICATORS

For a piston airplane, tachometer, manifold pressure, CHT and EGT, engine
monitor if I have one (I do in the Bonanza).
Old May 20th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tina

Well, let's remember it takes one example to refute an absolutist
argument.

There is not a rated pilot here who will argue with this: In IMC or
VMC, he or she, relies very much on the sensation of the reduction of
yoke pressure for trimming the airplane. We of course depend on all
available inputs to determine the attitude of the airplane, but we
trim entirely by feel.

One could also invoke a Clintonism technique: it depends on what you
mean by physical sensations -- eyes are a sensory input, too.

On May 19, 9:04 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Tina writes:
It seems to me the better pilots use all the clues they have
available, the physiological ones as well as those presented by the
panel, to maintain a sense of the airplane's attitude.

Not under IFR. Under IFR, only the instruments count.

It worries me that so many pilots here are trying so desperately to justify an
extremely dangerous practice. Dudley is being very diplomatic. Under IFR,
sensations don't count at all, ever. Only instruments count. Countless
pilots have died because they refused to accept this. All training and
literature ceaselessly emphasize the importance of this. And yet some people
still argue against it, because they want to believe that they can fly by the
seat of their pants in all conditions. These pilots should take care to
always remain VFR in VMC, because it is clear that they would endanger
themselves under IFR in IMC.

We react to 'bumps' and the like long before the instruments indicate their
effect.

Not if you are doing things right. First, you've been scanning the
instruments constantly, so any change they indicate is immediately noticed.
Second, the bumps must be ignored, so there is nothing to react to when they
occur.

No instrument in our airplane will tell us we are picking up ice, but a
flashlight out along the leading edge will.

That is not a sensation in the context of this discussion. Sensations here
clearly mean physical movements, and people here are trying to justify using
physical movement sensations in the aircraft to fly it, while giving the
instruments only secondary priority. That's not the right way to fly IFR.

At night no instrument will tell us we are in a cloud, but the anti-collision
lights will.

Under IFR, you don't need to know. Your instruments tell you where you are
and where you're going. If you're in IMC, you obviously have visible
moisture, and you can check the temperature to see if you're at risk for
icing.

When getting close to MDA, and including the windscreen in your
instrument scan so you can transition to visual is not an
instrumentation issue.

You are not at MDA during most of the flight. If you can see outside, you're
not in IMC. If you are in IMC, you use only your instruments.

If it were not for the physical effects, the
wind noise, the way the control feel changes with airspeed, and the
like, we might just as well be flying sims.

If you don't like flying by instruments, then fly only VFR in VMC. If you
cannot get away from the desire to depend on physical sensations to fly, don't
go anywhere near IMC. Yes, it's a lot like a sim, the only difference being
that in a sim you feel nothing (unless it's a motion sim), and in real life
you feel something. However, whether you feel nothing or something, you still
fly by instruments, period.

Except of course sims
don't take us to other destinations, and it's the going to some other
place that really drives our particular use of general aviation.

If you don't rely on your instruments in IMC, you'll never reach those other
destinations.

Old May 20th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell[_2_]

"Tina" wrote in message
Well, let's remember it takes one example to refute an absolutist
argument.

There is not a rated pilot here who will argue with this: In IMC or
VMC, he or she, relies very much on the sensation of the reduction of
yoke pressure for trimming the airplane. We of course depend on all
available inputs to determine the attitude of the airplane, but we
trim entirely by feel.

One could also invoke a Clintonism technique: it depends on what you
mean by physical sensations -- eyes are a sensory input, too.

Very well put.

This whole thread sounds like nothing more than a word game, fueled by nit
pickers.

Who flies anything, especially IMC, without making use of all input.

If the sound of the engine is laboring, the wind noise is low and the
controls are mush - a ASI reading 150 knots should be ignored.

Much to do about nothing. Just a bunch of folks feeding MX.

Old May 20th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

A Lieberman writes:

Everything I read on Mx threads, he's traveled the world, from the
Grand Canyon tour to the most complex Bravo airspace we probably
haven't encountered in our lives.

I flew from KSAN to KLAX yesterday in my sim, in zero visibility, and
I lived. Obviously I had no physical sensations to count upon, and yet
somehow I managed to get to my destination and land.

All you did is set the autopilot and stroke your joy stick. And I'm not
talking about the joy stick attached to your computer, moron.

Old May 20th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Buster Hymen

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

writes:

Read my post. I already said what I fly. You got my tail number,
it's on that as well.

I'm not familiar with the specific aircraft you fly.

You don't know **** from shinola about any REAL aircraft.

Old May 20th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.simulators
Buster Hymen

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

You are not at MDA during most of the flight. If you can see outside,
you're not in IMC. If you are in IMC, you use only your instruments.

Wrong again, dip ****. You don't even know the definition of IMC. Go back
to your simulator groups, asshole.

Old May 20th 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
terry

On May 20, 11:05*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
A Lieberman writes:
Everything I read on Mx threads, he's traveled the world, from the
Grand Canyon tour to the most complex Bravo airspace we probably
haven't encountered in our lives.

I flew from KSAN to KLAX yesterday in my sim, in zero visibility, and I lived.
Obviously I had no physical sensations to count upon, and yet somehow I
managed to get to my destination and land.

Next time you go there Mx do you reckon you could get me a souvenir
cloth badge, Ive been collecting them for years, and I havent got
KLAX. I'll pay of course and add $5 for your trouble. Was that the
2 or 4 seat sim?
Terry
Old May 20th 08, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Tina" wrote in message

@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com..
.
Well, let's remember it takes one example to refute an absolutist
argument.

There is not a rated pilot here who will argue with this: In IMC or
VMC, he or she, relies very much on the sensation of the reduction of
yoke pressure for trimming the airplane. We of course depend on all
available inputs to determine the attitude of the airplane, but we
trim entirely by feel.

One could also invoke a Clintonism technique: it depends on what you
mean by physical sensations -- eyes are a sensory input, too.

Very well put.

This whole thread sounds like nothing more than a word game, fueled by
nit pickers.

Who flies anything, especially IMC, without making use of all input.

How would you know, wannabe boi?

Bertie
Old May 20th 08, 10:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

BDS writes:

In your simulated Baron, what is the first indication you are likely
to notice if an engine begins to fail, regardless of the reason for
the failure? I am not talking about after the failure, but rather as
the failure begins to occur - what do you think you will notice first
and probably before anything else, and what will you do about it?

It will probably sound different if it fails. In some cases engine
indicators on the instrument panel may reveal a problem first. If
anything goes wrong with the engine(s), I'll land at the next
available airport.

What a maroooooon.

Bertie

Apology re mxsmanic terry Piloting 96 February 16th 08 05:17 PM
I saw Mxsmanic on TV Clear Prop Piloting 8 February 14th 07 01:18 AM
Mxsmanic gwengler Piloting 30 January 11th 07 03:42 AM
Getting rid of MXSMANIC [email protected] Piloting 33 December 8th 06 11:26 PM
Feeling aircraft sensations Ramapriya Piloting 17 January 12th 06 10:15 AM