Any New Names for the F-35?

Old June 8th 04, 10:10 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:23:50 +0200, Nemo l'Ancien
wrote:

Yes, but obviously it could be also a cancelled project...

As could any project.
Old June 9th 04, 12:59 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:12:57 -0400, Air Force Jayhawk
wrote:

...And Harpy has already been used. The Israelis named a missile
that.

Dang. Seems like pretty much everything has been used at one time or
another.

AFJ

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:44:27 -0600, Scott Ferrin wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:52:40 -0400, Peter Kemp
wrote:

On 7 Jun 2004 23:38:08 -0700, (robert arndt) wrote:

Last I heard the names being considered for the F-35 we

- Defender
- Bumblebee
- Gryphon (aka Griffin)... the top choice in 2002/3
- Pegasus
- Hailstorm
- Harbinger
- Valiant

Hurricane - in addition to following the UK "storm" series, the F-35B
is going to provide one hell of a down draft doing a vertical landing
at max landing weight.

Peter Kemp

"Hurricane" is much too agressive. We wouldn't want to offend
anybody. I'm sure there's some species of endagered butterfly we
could name it after.

What would really be funny though is if we let the pilots come up with
something. Kinda like what happened with the F-111. It went for
nearly it's entire career with no official name (is that odd or what).

My personal picks would be Dragon, Harpy, or something else
different. Nothing with a Roman numeral tacked on the end. Or how
'bout the Fang? We've got Stingers, Cobras, Sidewinders, Black
Widows, Scorpions. . . I guess it could be argued that "Fang" would
be more fitting for a missile. I like "Harpy" but you know the PC
fanatics would scream bloody murder. It flys, it's ugly, it's trying
to be many different beasties. . .seems appropriate.

Old June 9th 04, 03:49 AM
Harley W Daugherty

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
Last I heard the names being considered for the F-35 we

- Defender
- Bumblebee
- Gryphon (aka Griffin)... the top choice in 2002/3
- Pegasus
- Hailstorm
- Harbinger
- Valiant

Any others lately?

Rob

Kestrel, a small fast and maneuverable bird of prey.

Harley

Old June 9th 04, 06:51 AM
George

"Harley W Daugherty" wrote in message link.net...

Kestrel, a small fast and maneuverable bird of prey.

Harley

That's about the only one I've heard that follows the USAF tradition
(at least the last three) of naming their fighter planes after birds
of prey. However, if we followed the Air Force trend, it may **** off
the swabbies.
Old June 9th 04, 08:00 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Scott Ferrin wrote:
The thing is the Kestrel has already been used. The Harrier
predecessor/prototype/experimental thing-a-ma-bob was called the
Kestrel. Most of the bird types are taken. You already have Eagles,
Falcons, Hawks, and so forth. I liked it back in the day like
Republic with it's Thunder------ and Grumman with it's cats. It's not
really written in stone that it needs to be a bird. You can tell they
really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to come up with
"Raptor".

We're reused aircraft names in the past: the Corsair comes to immediate mind.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old June 9th 04, 11:51 AM