Siemens Sells Electric Propulsion Business to Rolls-Royce

Old June 22nd 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Siemens Sells Electric Propulsion Business to Rolls-Royce

https://www.avweb.com/recent-updates...sion-business/

Paris Air Show: Siemens Sells Electric Propulsion Business

Kate O'Connor
June 20, 20191

Serial Hybrid Engine Illustration
Image: Rolls-Royce

Siemens signed an agreement to sell its eAircraft unit to Rolls-Royce
at the Paris Airshow in Le Bourget, France, on Tuesday. Siemens
eAircraft, which develops electric and hybrid-electric propulsion
systems for the aerospace industry, has facilities in Germany and
Hungary and employees approximately 180 people. Siemens reports that
it has been working on electric aircraft propulsion development and
research for about ten years, including projects such as Airbus’
CityAirbus and E-Fan X demonstrator.

“Electrification is set to have as dramatic an impact on aviation as
the replacement of piston engines by gas turbines,” said Rolls-Royce
Electrical Director Rob Watson. “We have already made significant
strides in realizing our strategy of ‘championing electrification’ and
this move will accelerate our ambitions in aerospace by adding vital
skills and technology to our portfolio. It brings us increased scale
and additional expertise as we develop a product range of hybrid power
and propulsion systems.”

According to Rolls-Royce, the two companies will continue to look for
opportunities to work together as part of the agreement. Closing on
the acquisition is expected in late 2019. Financial details of the
agreement have not been disclosed.