A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Home Built
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Letter from Jess Meyers



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 6th 04, 03:53 AM
Badwater Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Letter from Jess Meyers

Jess uses AOL and can't post to the ng easily. He can, however, read
the posts. He just wrote this to me over email and asked that I pass
it on to this group.


Subject: Letter to Corky Scott
To:

Bill, a letter I sent to Corky this evening

----Jess

__________________________________________________ ___

Mr. Scott, my name is Jess Meyers of Belted Air. I understand all of
the trashing both ways. We bought the project from Glenn Smith and
Bill was flying it. Our insurance could not afford two pilots at the
time. Bill's valid points were taken, corrections made, and a long
test period was carried out. We did have sprockets that were broached
improperly, the units recalled. At the same time Gates belt factory
had traced problems, if you can believe this, to people sweating or
infusing a saline solution into the belt matrix. We have since
switched manufacturer's.

Mr. Phillips is one of a kind, and I'll be the first to admit that I
have questioned a lot of his judgment. We are still out on some things
but all in all he is an honest person. You don't have to guess where
you are with him. Please don't get upset with some of his rantings.
His wife did a very good job of photography for the Kitplanes article,
and when the air to air shoot was scheduled for the article his father
passed away and it became unavailable.

Mr. J.Muretta did what I would call a overview article. Not wanting to
carry on but if you or your friends are under 200 lbs and want to fly
in the plane we offer to have you bring your own GPS and come fly with
us anytime so you may draw your own conclusions.

Jess Meyers
Belted Air Power
Ads
  #2  
Old July 6th 04, 05:45 AM
Bruce A. Frank
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

This is an interesting letter from Jess, but un-necessary for any reason
I can see. Corky just re-posted a post BWB made years ago.

It doesn't appear that Corky has a problem with Jess' engine or PSRU.
Heck, Corky is using a Ford with a Blanton based PSRU.(certainly related
technology) All I can see going on is Corky being tarred for remembering
and then posting one of Bill's old comments.

I'd love to take that ride, but can't meet that 200 lb limit. 8^D

Badwater Bill wrote:

Jess uses AOL and can't post to the ng easily. He can, however, read
the posts. He just wrote this to me over email and asked that I pass
it on to this group.

Subject: Letter to Corky Scott
To:

Bill, a letter I sent to Corky this evening

----Jess

__________________________________________________ ___

Mr. Scott, my name is Jess Meyers of Belted Air. I understand all of
the trashing both ways. We bought the project from Glenn Smith and
Bill was flying it. Our insurance could not afford two pilots at the
time. Bill's valid points were taken, corrections made, and a long
test period was carried out. We did have sprockets that were broached
improperly, the units recalled. At the same time Gates belt factory
had traced problems, if you can believe this, to people sweating or
infusing a saline solution into the belt matrix. We have since
switched manufacturer's.

Mr. Phillips is one of a kind, and I'll be the first to admit that I
have questioned a lot of his judgment. We are still out on some things
but all in all he is an honest person. You don't have to guess where
you are with him. Please don't get upset with some of his rantings.
His wife did a very good job of photography for the Kitplanes article,
and when the air to air shoot was scheduled for the article his father
passed away and it became unavailable.

Mr. J.Muretta did what I would call a overview article. Not wanting to
carry on but if you or your friends are under 200 lbs and want to fly
in the plane we offer to have you bring your own GPS and come fly with
us anytime so you may draw your own conclusions.

Jess Meyers
Belted Air Power


--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"
| Publishing interesting material|
| on all aspects of alternative |
| engines and homebuilt aircraft.|
*------------------------------**----*
\(-o-)/ AIRCRAFT PROJECTS CO.
\___/ Manufacturing parts & pieces
/ \ for homebuilt aircraft,
0 0 TIG welding

While trying to find the time to finish mine.
  #4  
Old July 6th 04, 03:47 PM
John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Back in 1975 I weighed 225 lbs and cut out candy bars and regular soda's
but still drank beer and had regular US Navy meals (read high fat) I
started running 5 miles a day (about one hour) very slowly and in 2 months
I lost 55 lbs to 170 lbs overall. 29 Years later I weight 160 lbs and have
been running and enjoying life ever since!
John



I walked 1.5 miles every night and cut out saturated fats and sodas (I was
addicted to Pepsi) although I still drink diet sodas which could be
another topic in itself. If you cut out 500 calories a day you can lose 1
lb. a week, it is really easy to do.

Jerry (My RV-6 performs much better now) Springer


  #5  
Old July 6th 04, 04:32 PM
Stealth Pilot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:45:46 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:



I'd love to take that ride, but can't meet that 200 lb limit. 8^D

Bruce it has taken me half a degree in nursing to get this all worked
out. so far I've lost nearly 10 kilos and my pilot's medicals are
getting easier. much easier.

your, my, everyone's body generates energy through the krebs cycle.
it can feed raw materials to the cycle from 3 sources.
sugars
fats
protein.

the body metabolises sugar first because it is easy, then it
metabolises fats and if none of the two are available it metabolises
protein for energy.

if you want to lose weight you need to reduce your fat intake and
increase your body's burn off of fat as an energy source.

most of us have too much sugar available in our systems for the body
ever to need to metabolise fats so the dietary intake is just stored
away for a rainy day. (you get bigger and bigger)

in my case I had all the factors in place for weight loss but didnt
lose a zot until I worked out that my sugar intake had to be reduced.
10 cups of coffee a day with white and two sugars, plus a coke or two
adds up to a small mountain of sugar each and every day.

ok to lose weight you need to reduce your sugar and fat intake.
you then need to exercise to burn off sufficient energy that the body
needs to metabolise fats to provide the needed energy.

using short muscles doesnt burn much energy but increases blood
pressure levels which has its own problems so arm exercises arent
recommended.
using the long muscles of your body burns more energy and does not
increase blood pressure as much.
so walking or swimming are the best exercises that you can engage in
to lose weight.

when you are using your muscles, use at a gentle pace keeps the
metabolism in the muscles aerobic which sees fat metabolism.
If you use your muscles so hard that they ache, the ache is caused by
the build up of lactic acid which signals that your body has switched
to anaerobic metabolism. during anaerobic metabolism no fat is
metabolised.

regular long walks at a pace which does not see muscle ache but
elevates your body metabolism so that at the end of the walk you are
just raising a sweat is just perfect for fat burn off.

regular weight loss involves a healthy diet, reduced sugar intake,
reduced fat intake and aerobic exercise of the long muscles of your
body. it is that easy.

it has taken me half of a 3 1/2 year degree in nursing to get it all
worked out. no hokum, no fad diets, nothing to buy.
I have 2 kilos to go and I am back to 73 kg from 84 kg.
(84kg is 184lb or 13 stone, 74 kilos is 11.5 stone.)

try it. you might just get a free aeroplane ride as a reward :-)

Stealth Pilot
Australia


  #6  
Old July 6th 04, 06:51 PM
Jerry Springer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Stealth Pilot wrote:



regular long walks at a pace which does not see muscle ache but
elevates your body metabolism so that at the end of the walk you are
just raising a sweat is just perfect for fat burn off.

regular weight loss involves a healthy diet, reduced sugar intake,
reduced fat intake and aerobic exercise of the long muscles of your
body. it is that easy.

it has taken me half of a 3 1/2 year degree in nursing to get it all
worked out. no hokum, no fad diets, nothing to buy.
I have 2 kilos to go and I am back to 73 kg from 84 kg.
(84kg is 184lb or 13 stone, 74 kilos is 11.5 stone.)

try it. you might just get a free aeroplane ride as a reward :-)

Stealth Pilot
Australia



Stealth you are so right, I know from experience that what you say works. I lost
80 lbs over the last two years doing just what you say. Also Carbs need to be
watched as they turn to sugar. I am not talking about the extreme low carb diets
that Akins suggest, personally I think those are VERY dangerous diets to your
health.

I walked 1.5 miles every night and cut out saturated fats and sodas (I was
addicted to Pepsi) although I still drink diet sodas which could be another
topic in itself. If you cut out 500 calories a day you can lose 1 lb. a week,
it is really easy to do.

Jerry (My RV-6 performs much better now) Springer


  #7  
Old July 6th 04, 07:50 PM
Jim Weir
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In 1991 I lost 200 pounds.

140 pounds of her, and 60 pounds of me. (AIDS = Aviation Induced Divorce
Syndrome)

{;-)


Jim




Jerry Springer
shared these priceless pearls of wisdom:

-I walked 1.5 miles every night and cut out saturated fats and sodas (I was
-addicted to Pepsi) although I still drink diet sodas which could be another
-topic in itself. If you cut out 500 calories a day you can lose 1 lb. a week,
-it is really easy to do.
-
-Jerry (My RV-6 performs much better now) Springer
-

Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup)
VP Eng RST Pres. Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor
http://www.rst-engr.com
  #8  
Old July 6th 04, 09:55 PM
Matt Whiting
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Badwater Bill wrote:


Mr. J.Muretta did what I would call a overview article. Not wanting to
carry on but if you or your friends are under 200 lbs and want to fly
in the plane we offer to have you bring your own GPS and come fly with
us anytime so you may draw your own conclusions.

Jess Meyers
Belted Air Power


That's a bummer. I still weight 225, although I'm down from 235 and
working towards 210. I don't think I'll ever see 200 again... :-(


Matt

  #9  
Old July 7th 04, 02:38 AM
Badwater Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:55:41 -0400, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Badwater Bill wrote:


Mr. J.Muretta did what I would call a overview article. Not wanting to
carry on but if you or your friends are under 200 lbs and want to fly
in the plane we offer to have you bring your own GPS and come fly with
us anytime so you may draw your own conclusions.

Jess Meyers
Belted Air Power


That's a bummer. I still weight 225, although I'm down from 235 and
working towards 210. I don't think I'll ever see 200 again... :-(


Matt


Ahh, don't worry about it Matt. Come in the late autumn and they'll
download some fuel so you can fit your fat ass into it. My fat ass
test flew it for a long time and I weighed 230 when I did it.

In fact I talked with Jess last night and I think I'm going back on
the insurance. I'll take you for a ride when you come.

During flight-test, when I needed a data collector, I took Tom Jones.
Tom is a giant man in spirit but only weighs about 130 or so (that's
why the puke won so many motorcycle races in the olden days).

In fact Bill Harold and Tom are about the same size. Dr. Harold or
Tom easily fit into the thing with my gelatinous, bloated, fat ass in
the left seat. I'm sure that you'll fit fine.

Come on over here when the temps go back down and we'll get you up
even if I have to fly it.

Now, that's a concept. Here's the question:

Are YOU willing to fly with BWB as PIC? Do you have the guts? Do you
have the stamina? Hell, I might go berserk and take you to Miami on a
test flight....or maybe Costa Rica. Can you accept what might happen
to you? Are you The Man?

Only kidding. I think you are serious and you should examine this
firewall forward. I'll tell you one thing however, don't change any
of it. Build it just like Jess and Tom and Bill tell you to build it.
If you are a tinker-er and you want to screw with things, this is not
it. IF you build it as they tell you to build it, most likely it
will work fine. Don't modify anything. Go by the plans. They've
spent years perfecting all this stuff. Don't put your opinion into
the loop.

I say this because we've seen the whole spectrum of builders. I
talked with a guy today who's helping me with my Legacy. He told me
he overheard a conversation at Osh last year when a builder cornered
Burt Rutan and Mike Melville between booths as they were going to
lunch.

The guy asked his question of them both and Burt shook his head no,
"Build it exactly by the plans."

Then the guy says, "But if I cut this piece and do that what will
happen?"

Burt said, "Don't do that. Build it by the plans."

The guy came back with another question, sliding around the first
question with another concept and Burt said, "Build is EXACTLY as the
plans say to build it."

Then the guy stopped and thought for a moment and had another come
back, "What if I cut the skin and put in some foam and then E-glass it
to conform....."

Mike jumped in at that point and said, "Build it exactly as the plans
say to build it."

Then both Burt and Mike walked away knowing they had an idiot on their
hands.

Tom Jones heard Burt say to another individual, "Look you can do
anything you want to do in this category and go fly it. However, if
you modify it in any way that is not in accordance with the plans,
then it's YOURS, it's not my design."

I'm in a good mood tonight and I'm sort of philosophical while I'm in
this "Good" mood, so I'm going to give you guys some advice.

Don't ever modify anything from the plans if you build a kit or a
plans-built airplane. You don't know what the designer has done to
keep weight to a minimum and allow maximum strength for given part,
like a wing or a tail, etc. Don't modify anything. It's all been
CAD-CAM designed by computers and you don't have the thousands of
dollars (or hours) available to you to check all the scenarios of your
modification.

Another thing. If you strengthen a certain area you transfer load and
stress to that area. That is complicated to explain but let me try
just briefly. If you fix a 6 foot 1 inch diameter balsa-wood dowel to
a bench by clamping it's end to the bench, you might be able to put a
1pound weight out at the other end and the thing will flex and bow and
carry that load. This is because you are using the entire piece to
carry that load. If you clamp the same piece of wood so that only 4
inches protrude from the bench and you put a 1 pound weight on it, it
will shear off at the point where it meets the bench.

This is what happens when you abitrarily strengthen a certain area of
a wing or any other part of an airplane. You concentrate the loads to
that area.

Think of it this way: A willow bends in the wind. If you tie it down
a foot from the top of a branch, the wind might shear if off.

So, in building a homebuilt airplane, all this comes into play. Don't
second-guess what the computer calcs have done. Don't shore up one
area because YOU think it's weak there. It may be designed to be weak
at that position.

Harmonics is another issue. If you change things, you change the
resonance frequencies of the structure. That's the last thing you
would ever want to do.

So, BWB's advice for the day it DON'T CHANGE A ****ING THING. Build
the thing exactly like the designer and kit manufacturer tells you to
build it. After you build 50 of them then you might have a right to
have some input.

BWB

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vernon Peckham's letter about Jerry Rooks RH Home Built 1 May 11th 04 03:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.