Has the FAA changed its policy, or have I managed to become a National Security Threat?

Old February 21st 05, 02:34 AM
Steve Leonard

Default Has the FAA changed its policy, or have I managed to become a National Security Threat?

I got a bounce-back from the FAA when I tried to register my newest
sailplane acquisition. Seems I did not sign below my written name on
the Application for Registration. My bad. I printed my name and sent
it back to them.

I got a call this evening from the gentleman I bought the plane from.
It seems he got a letter from the FAA saying they understood he had
sold the aircraft and as a matter of National Security, he is to send
in the old registratioin withing 20 days of receiving the letter.

I do not yet have the registration with my name on it, nor did the FAA
issue me a letter to keep with the plane to be a temporary
authorization to continue operating the aircraft. We both suspect the
old registration is in the plane (as it should be), as he did not keep
it and I do not have it with any of the other papers for the plane.

So, have any of you sold an airplane in the last two or three months,
not sent the registration in saying you sold the plane, and gotten a
letter saying you must return the registration "To Preserve National
Security"? Or have I made their "special" list?

Steve Leonard

Old February 21st 05, 02:47 AM
David Laitinen

I received the same letter after I turned my registration over to the
insurance company after my glider was totaled in a hurricane. I just
responded that I no longer had it and gave them the info on the new 'owner'.
Haven't heard anything else since. I suggest he do the same.

Dave Laitinen

oups.com...

Old February 21st 05, 03:04 AM
Bob K.

Same. Twice.

Bob K.

Old February 21st 05, 05:43 AM
Steve Leonard

Ah, must be a "vee tail" thing!

Steve
HP-14 N4736G
HP-11 N4778G

Bob K. wrote:
Same. Twice.

Bob K.

Old February 21st 05, 06:29 AM
jphoenix

Steve,

There was an NPRM about one year ago that stated the FAA registry in
OKC was going to get tough with people who did not sign the
registration forms. They would just send the forms back period. That
means only that the registration you sent in un-signed was not, and
never was, valid.

You can search the Federal Register website if you want to read it, but
it's pretty boring.

To fix it, you fill out another one, sign it, send it in with another
five bucks and that's the end of the story. The new, signed, pink copy
of the registration is good for 90 days.

If you do not have the new permanent registration after ninety days,
call OKC and stir up some dust, then fill out a new registration form,
**sign it** and that's your new, pink, temporary, registration. For
another ninety days.

If the registration form (temporary, pink in color) is un-signed and
you get ramped - well, bad day at black rock.

Moral of the story is to sign the registration.

In the past they Okeeday City registry folks, (nice people really)
ignored the fact that some were un-signed and simply processed the
registration anyhow. Somebody got in trouble because of some lawsuit or
something and that was the end of that.

Nothing more complicated than that. Even us Feds have trouble with the
Federales - ask me about the shenanigans with my IA someday.

Jim Phoenix

Old February 21st 05, 06:39 AM
Wayne Paul

Off subject; however, does anyone know the whereabouts of the HP-11 Dick
Schreder flew in the 1963 World Soaring Championship?
http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/adobe%20pdf/1963%20WGC.pdf

I believe it is N851Z.
http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/NNum...Numbertxt=851Z

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Steve Leonard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ah, must be a "vee tail" thing!

Steve
HP-14 N4736G
HP-11 N4778G

Bob K. wrote:
Same. Twice.

Bob K.

Old February 22nd 05, 12:02 AM

Steve, don't feel bad. I sold a glider late last year and the exact
same thing happened to me. I too did not realize I had a reporting
requirement to tell the FAA I sold the glider. However if I remember
correctly, the registration has language printed on the back that tells
you to do just that. I'll bet yours has similar language. In
addition, the letter you got from the FAA also probably gave you the
option of replying by saying you did not have the registration in your
posession.
Respectfully,

Old February 22nd 05, 12:54 AM
Bob K.

Ah, must be a "vee tail" thing!

Well, it's more of a capitalization thing than anything else...

Bob Kuykendall

Old February 22nd 05, 04:12 AM
jphoenix

I can't believe you guys violated the capitalization rule. That's gonna
be hard time and maybe Guantanamo for you guys.

I don't mind running afoul of the FAA registration police as much as I
despise the state tax police - every time I change my address, the tax
snoops troll the FAA registry database and I get the tax inspectors
sending me very harshly worded (and occasionally misspelled) letters
stating how much they think I owe them.

I don't know how Steve stays out of tax prison with that collection of
gliders!

Jim