Program Letter time again

Old January 9th 14, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin S.

Default Program Letter time again

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:47:36 AM UTC-6, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.

See you on the grid,

Pat & JJ

My operating limitations require a letter. The Houston FSDO now has a template or form they want you to fill-out for the program letter. Beginning last year, they said they want all the program letters on their form. After a little back and forth, I simply put all the same text that I previously had in my form of letter into their form of and it was accepted.
Old January 9th 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My (approved) program letter contains the following statement which, I
believe, protects me:

Proficiency flights without geographical restrictions are authorized when
made in preparation for participation in sanctioned meets and pursuant to
qualify for Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI) or Soaring Society
of America, (SSA) awards.

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:03:54 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I suspect there are many pilots of experimentals who forget to submit
anything. Does anyone have any stories of what has happened to them or
others that they know who had a problem because they did not submit a
letter? I am not asking for permission not to send one, just interested
in what can happen if you don't...

Bruno - B4

Sacramento FSDO has jumped me for not submitting a letter (once when they
lost it).
I believe it is close to a meaningless drill for sailplanes, but with real
meaning when flying a MIG-21 licensed experimental racing & exhibition. The
real problem would be if you were to have an accident at a location not
shown on your program letter. The Feds might find that your aircraft was
being operated illegally and your insurance could refuse to cover the loss.
JJ

Old January 9th 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:47:36 AM UTC-8, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.

See you on the grid,

Pat & JJ

I bought a new to me sailplane and it holds an experimental "Exhibition" airworthiness certificate the limitation were written in 1979 nothing like limitations written today (8130.2 G) and I had a hard time letting go. No where in my Limitations did it say I needed a Program Letter. I knew when I called my PMI at the local FSDO he was going to make me have new limitations written up and I was right. I tried to get around this by just asking about who I should send my program letter to and a slight mention that I just bought this sailplane and now I am caught up in the dark world of the Federal Aviation Administration. I hope I will not have to educate my local FAA Dark Lord about sailplanes, and I pray to God that I have every thing back in the cockpit by the time the first Cu pops, I also have a funny feeling I will get a new airworthiness certificate for "Air Racing" instead of "Exhibition", I could have just flown all year and pleaded ignorance...my sailplane would not have known the difference...my insurance man probably would not have caught this...to late now.... to be continued...I am sure I am doing the right thing.....ignorance, what is wrong with that?
Old January 9th 14, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:37:26 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I bought a new to me sailplane and it holds an experimental "Exhibition" airworthiness certificate the limitation were written in 1979 nothing like limitations written today (8130.2 G) and I had a hard time letting go. No where in my Limitations did it say I needed a Program Letter.

So, why did you let go? I have a plane that has the old, unlimited expiration, experimental, Exhibition and Air Racing Certificate. The certificate and limitations were lost somewhere along the way. I got the FAA records on the airplane, and took them to my local FAA office. I explained that I have this plane, and the certificate has been lost. Told them I would like to get the original certificate re-issued, replacement copies of what is on the records. They issued a new copy of the airworthiness certificate and operating limitations, with changes to a couple of paragraph numbers of the FARs that have changed since 1979. Did not get the new requirement of a Program Letter.

Maybe there is a benefit to living in Wichita, The Air Capital of The World.. So we claim.

Steve
Old January 9th 14, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:47:36 AM UTC-8, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.

See you on the grid,

Pat & JJ

Well it turns out that I did not have to let go, one FAA dark lord said one thing and when I talked with the other FAA Dark Lord in charge of the FSDO phone today he said just send in the program letter and that was all he needed or wanted... there is a God after all. Back to my winter tune up.
Old January 9th 14, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:31:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Well it turns out that I did not have to let go, one FAA dark lord said one thing and when I talked with the other FAA Dark Lord in charge of the FSDO phone today he said just send in the program letter and that was all he needed or wanted... there is a God after all. Back to my winter tune up.

If the limitations on your plane don't require a letter, then you don't have to send one in. Period. No matter what your local guy says. If your airworthiness certificate and limitations were issued back in 1979, then you probably don't have the requirement to submit a letter. I recommend you read your plane's limitations. If there is no requirement to send in a letter, don't do it. Don't ask the local FSDO if you need to, either. You are not doing anything wrong by complying with the requirements of the plane's airworthiness certificate.

Sorry, but I just get frustrated when people think "He had to do it, so I do to. Now, how do I do that?"

Steve
Old January 9th 14, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

If you are subject to sending in a program letter, maybe this will help.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I think you can just download as a Word doc or other type that you might want to work with.

It's a nearly blank version of what I send in every year. Change the events and the address and you are probably well on your way.

For our FSDO in Fresno, this is sufficient and it takes me 30 seconds every year to change the date on my copy and email it to the FSDO.

Hope this helps,

Morgan
Old January 10th 14, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just couldn't help putting in my two cents. I have two gliders, each handled by a different FSDO. I dutifully FAX in my program letters every January. Most years they claim not to have received them when I ask about it. So today I called each FSDO to ask how they would like me to send them the letters. Got put into voice mail each of the two times I called each office.. I left a detailed voice-mail each time. At the end of today I got just one call back that was left on my voice mail and it was as if I never left a message. The person was asking me to call back to discuss exactly what I wanted.

Service. Availability. Good communications.
Old January 10th 14, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 6:47:36 AM UTC-8, JJ Sinclair wrote:
I was searching through my computer files for something when I came across a file named Program Letter.................Oh, yeah! The FAA wants me to send them this years agenda by 30 Jan. Its easy, just make the indicated changes on the e-form and hit send.

See you on the grid,

Pat & JJ

You are correct Steve, if your limitations do not mention sending in a program letter then don't and my limitations do not require a program letter. If you were issued limitations today you would need to send in a program letter, period, because now limitations are all written IAW 8130.2 G. The beauty of these older limitations is the ability to do modifications that affect flight, winglets and so forth with nothing more than a log book entry. For me I know my FSDO people on a personal basis, do I need to send in a program letter? no, did I yes, but like you said stick to what your limitation say no matter when they were written. But read your limitations and remember your Experimental Airworthiness is only valid if your limitations are attached along with your program letter, that is if you need one. Old glass kicks ass.
Old January 14th 14, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:06:26 PM UTC-5, Tom K (TK) wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8ofpcxfpc...er%20Blank.doc

Neat! Thanks for the dropbox post.

I've made a copy for Google Docs users, if anybody wants to take and copy it for their own purposes.

(Also, you have some typos in Section 3, "Soaring Society of American")

https://docs.google.com/a/pietbarber...Rp2Um6tpw/edit