F/A-18 external stores load

Old December 9th 04, 12:30 PM

Default F/A-18 external stores load

I have got some questions concerning F/A-18A/C/D ordnance load, and
maybe somebody could help with that:

1. In an article about F-16 I have found some data about the maximum
load for each weapon station (even with differences for different
G-forces - 5G and 9G as far as I remember).

All sources say the maximum ordnance load for the Hornet is 17,000 lbs
(7700 kg), but is it the real maximum load, or only the sum of
possible maximum loads for every station?

What is, for example the max load for each of four wing stations - I
believe not less than 3,000 lbs (6 Mk82 bombs), but the ejector racks
tend to weigh a bit also, so maybe 3,500 lbs?

2. Is F/A-18C capable of carrying fuel tanks on OUTBOARD wing
stations?

I saw a photo of an F/A-18C from VFA-81 carrying four tanks under the
wings, but that was the only case. Are these stations tanks-capable
but usually plumbed? Somebody used them for ferry flights?

3. In an old film ("The Final Countdown", starring USS Nimitz and
CVW-8) I saw Mavericks carried in triples under the wings of A-6Es.

It was probably too early (about 1981) for the AGM-65F version, and
the missiles were painted white. So could that be AGM-65E (Marine
version), or did Navy use AGM-65A/B (essentialy the USAF version)?

I thought USN/USMC preferred AGM-62 Walleyes instead of TV Mavs?

Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo
Old December 10th 04, 06:45 AM
Joe Delphi

It was probably too early (about 1981) for the AGM-65F version, and
the missiles were painted white. So could that be AGM-65E (Marine
version), or did Navy use AGM-65A/B (essentialy the USAF version)?

I thought USN/USMC preferred AGM-62 Walleyes instead of TV Mavs?

The AGM-62 Walleye is a TV-guided glide bomb from the Vietnam era.

The AGM-65 Maverick is a powered weapon (has a motor) and is more recent
technology.

JD

Old December 11th 04, 04:03 PM
Pechs1

Since ya metioned it, yes Fox Farrell almost flew into the water in this
moovie, 'Final Countdown'.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 27th 04, 08:59 AM

..Gif movie and Jpeg of the F-14 sequence:

http://finalcountdown.mine.nu/images/100feet.gif
http://finalcountdown.mine.nu/images...ddogfight3.jpg