Boston Visit

Old August 20th 04, 03:21 PM
PaulH

Default Boston Visit

What's the preferred area GA airport for Boston? I need to spend some
time downtown but also want to visit Cape Cod.
Old August 20th 04, 04:34 PM
Peter MacPherson

There are many GA airports around Boston and also on the cape.
Are you looking for an airport close to Boston and another on the
cape that you can fly to, or one airport that is fairly close to both?

Pete

om...

Old August 20th 04, 09:00 PM
Steve Foley

I've been told Hanscom (KBED) is one of the best GA fields for visiting
Boston. Be aware of really high landing fees (fines) for 2300-0700
operations.

om...

Old August 20th 04, 10:10 PM
Dan Truesdell

If you can get a ride to the train station (about 2 miles), Mansfield
(1B9) is great. It's a nice commuter train ride into South Station.
Somewhat busy uncontrolled field, but good location to launch from for
the cape. I believe BED has bus service, but unless it has changed in
the last many years, the service was sporadic.

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old August 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Peter MacPherson

The landing fees at BED are not just at night anymore. They charge
landing fees all the time now. The FBO's will also charge you a
pretty good fee for tie down. Also, since this airport is part of
Massport, you will need a prop lock(or such) or you will have to
"rent" one. Also, gas is over $4/gallon. I would avoid BED as a
transient, there are cheaper places to go.

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
I've been told Hanscom (KBED) is one of the best GA fields for visiting
Boston. Be aware of really high landing fees (fines) for 2300-0700
operations.

om...

Old August 21st 04, 02:53 AM
Ron Natalie

"PaulH" wrote in message om...
What's the preferred area GA airport for Boston? I need to spend some
time downtown but also want to visit Cape Cod.

On the Cape side of things, your best bet is Norwood. The FBO there is
top notch and it's convenient for going into town or to the cape. They have
Avis rent-a-cars.
Old August 21st 04, 02:15 PM
Steve

Norwood is a good airport. Plymouth, http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPYM ,
might be a better bet. It's closer to the cape, and there is a commuter
train from Plymouth to Boston (South Station),
http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/sche...?line=plymouth .

Old August 22nd 04, 03:38 PM
Jeremy Lew

Although OWD is a fine airport, if you're visiting the Cape on a weekend, I
would highly recommend flying to one of the on-Cape airports (Falmouth,
Hyannis, Chatham, Provincetown) rather than driving. The highway traffic
getting on and off the Cape is usually atrocious during the summer. That's
one of the main benefits of having a PP license around here! Besides that,
it's a nice flight, and only about 30-45 minutes from the Boston area
airports.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

om...