A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tow hitch on Mercedes ML 350 Bluetech

Old April 2nd 15, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Tow hitch on Mercedes ML 350 Bluetech

I was quoted $3,500 to $4,000 by the Mercedes Benz dealer to install a factory tow hitch on to a ML 350 Bluetech 2011! I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and if so, where did you go to have the work done and were you happy with it? I live in Southern Cal.
Old April 2nd 15, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 9:03:04 PM UTC+13, wrote:
I was quoted $3,500 to $4,000 by the Mercedes Benz dealer to install a factory tow hitch on to a ML 350 Bluetech 2011! I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and if so, where did you go to have the work done and were you happy with it? I live in Southern Cal.

One, of course, should always ask about tow hitches *before* agreeing to buy the car itself, not after taking delivery.
Old April 2nd 15, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 4:03:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I've done 5 hitch installs (2 on Honda Odysseys and 3 on various flavors of VW). eTrailer is the go-to place to figure out what's involved. For the ML350 here are the parts required at minimum:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2011308187

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Wiri...eid=2011308187

In round figures, $300-$400 worth of parts if you include towbar and ball etc. However, the installation is more tricky than most:

- The hitch requires lowering the exhaust and trimming some plastic and possibly heat shields. When eTrailer says a 10/10 in difficulty and 1:40 to install, figure 2 hours of shop time minimum.

- The wiring requires a separate power supply routed to the front of the vehicle plus the usual tapping into circuits. Figure 2 hours here to be conservative.

So, I would guess that an aftermarket shop that bills out at $120/hr for labor would probably quote you somewhere either side of $1,000 including ordering the parts for you.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old April 2nd 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You bought a Mercedes for goodness sakes.

If you had a Yugo the cost would be much much lower.
Especially if you find some duct tape on sale.
Old April 2nd 15, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

I bought a Mercedes SUV a few months ago and I negotiated installation of a tow hook as a part of the deal. It still cost me a lot to put the tow hook in but not near the $3,000 quoted.

To put a hitch on a Mercedes SUV there is a lot of work involved, both mechanical and electrical while the option at the factory costs only $500.

I talked to a few people and I decided not to even try the aftermarket route as some reprogramming of a computer was also required.

On the plus side the vehicle is the best tow vehicle I ever had (other than the motor home). It is unbelievably stable, feels very solid even towing 18 m glider trailer.

I suggest find a deal who can do it cheaper. Call around. Find one that is less busy.

Old April 2nd 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle
external usenet poster

I put a hitch on my Mercedes E350. It's nearly invisible, and came complete with the electrical interface that keeps the computer happy. Highly recommended.

Here's the link for the ML hitch: http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/mercedes-gl/

-John, Q3

Old April 3rd 15, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 3:03:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:

- Funny, after visiting my local MB dealer, I installed one by myself last week on the 2013 ML, for the very same reason. Bought the hitch on internet for about $350. Don't know where do you live but typical large city has some sort of mechanical shop specializing in European cars. Go there, installing a hitch really isn't a big deal.
Old April 3rd 15, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am driving my fourth Mercedes ML. Fantastic tow vehicle.
Only one had the hitch installed by the dealer as part of the purchase.
The hitch costs about $350 from the dealer.
There is a wiring harness that used to be part of the tow hitch kit but last time was a separate item.
Hitch just bolts in BUT...and this is a BIG BUTTT...you must cut out part of the rear bumper plastic to allow the hitch to protrude. That is where half the cost of installing the hitch system comes from. If you cut it wrong it is a big bill. The wiring harness is just plug and play but you have to thread it thru existing holes in the body and reseal.

With all the tinkering and the risk of screwing up the rear bumper facia... I would just pay the dealer next time.