Tow hitch on Mercedes ML 350 Bluetech

Old August 21st 15, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Tow hitch on Mercedes ML 350 Bluetech

This is precisely why I paid Mercedes dealer to install my hitch. Yes, it was expensive, but I negotiated the install price before purchasing the vehicle. This worked well at the end of the month as they were motivated to sell the vehicle.
Old August 21st 15, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why in the world did you not just have the factory hitch installed?
You buy a Mercedes with a factory solution and you go to U-Haul!

You know, there is more to a to a tow hitch on a Mercedes than connecting to a trailer. It uses the light system to tell the computers that there is a trailer attached. That modifies the braking system and much more.
Old August 21st 15, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Because you can get a better deal when you buy from a dealer's lot as opposed to when you custom order. A dealer can put a factory hitch when you buy from the lot except it costs more than the factory option, about 1,300 more but the lower initial price more than covers that cost.
Old August 21st 15, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 6:04:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Why in the world did you not just have the factory hitch installed?
You buy a Mercedes with a factory solution and you go to U-Haul!

You know, there is more to a to a tow hitch on a Mercedes than connecting to a trailer. It uses the light system to tell the computers that there is a trailer attached. That modifies the braking system and much more.

Eventually I hope to have this problem with a GLK250.
Do Mercedes USA dealers have the proper trailer light package for their vehicles? Not the 4-pin system that is illegal in most of the World...
Jim
Old August 21st 15, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You know, there is more to a to a tow hitch on a Mercedes than connecting to a trailer. It uses the light system to tell the computers that there is a trailer attached. That modifies the braking system and much more.

I've never been completely satisfied with the factory tow hitch/lighting on my 2014 ML350. As you say, it interacts with the lighting and braking, but at least in my case in strange ways:
- I regularly get 'check trailer left/right rear light/brake light' warnings, and dutifully check them only to find they're OK
- more seriously, something odd happens with braking on steep downhill gradients causing the vehicle/trailer combination to feel quite unstable. It feels like the ABS is being activated on one side. Time to visit the dealer.

48

Old August 21st 15, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Yes
Old August 21st 15, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 12:02:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 1:03:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I was quoted $3,500 to $4,000 by the Mercedes Benz dealer to install a factory tow hitch on to a ML 350 Bluetech 2011! I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and if so, where did you go to have the work done and were you happy with it? I live in Southern Cal.

I got my hitch installed at Uhaul and I just want everyone to beware. I have a brand new 2015 ML350, after they installed the hitch I've had a constant rattle under the vehicle. I had another Uhaul location take a look at it and they state that the heat shield was trimmed and the way that they trimmed it they cannot repair it. I filed a claim with RepWest, their insurance company, and my claim was denied. Now, I've been trying to get a hold of the location that installed the hitch and have not received a call back after a couple attempts.

Avoid the headache. It's just been one issue after another with Uhaul. Hind sight is 20/20, definitely a lesson learned. Now just trying to figure out how to fix my new car. So frustrating and upsetting.

Not sure which version of the tow hitch did you use, but generally speaking for all of them (including the original MB one), it is required to cut a part of the heat shield out.
Rule of thumb, with your MB product - make sure you know the skills of the mechanic/technician working on your car. That also applies to the typically simplest maintenance. Someone earning a minimum wage at these discount tire shops: nationaltire/uhauls/etc. is not qualified to touch anything more complicated than toyota camry, and even with simplified cars they seem to struggle. For instance, someone pulling a pollen filter out of your car can damage several other parts if you don't have the right tools and you don't particularly care...
Old August 21st 15, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 13:51:41 -0700, gkurek wrote:

Rule of thumb, with your MB product - make sure you know the skills
of the mechanic/technician working on your car.

Probably non-PC, but...
When I drove a Landrover from UK to Nepal and back in the late 70s before
that route closed forever, we had an excellent guide book, written by an
ex-Indian Army Brigadier, that contained the cryptic rule:

'Never let gorillas near your motor'

and a chapter or so later the information the "Gorillas live in garages
in the middle east". Well, that was about right. Indian mechanics were
amazing and could fix anything with some old spanners and a screwdriver
or two. One even rebuilt my speedometer, which had seized, while I
waited. He did an excellent job. However, on the way home a gorilla
managed to strip the union on a new clutch slave cylinder while fitting
it. I should have listened to the Brigadier and fitted it myself....

I've not found many gorillas in the garages of UK and Europe but I guess
its useful to know that they're alive and well in the USA.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 28th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

They're quoting $3,500 - $4,000 for a job which, parts and labor at a fair markup and decent profit included, should be about $1,000 - $1,500 tops. Basically the dealer is telling you to drop your pants, bend over and if you want lube, it will cost extra.