IOS App for Skylines?

Old May 2nd 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default IOS App for Skylines?

Why is there no IOS app for skylines?
Old May 3rd 15, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Maybe because this iOS issue remains unresolved?
https://www.facebook.com/skylines.pr...52378401447918

There will also not be a version of XCSoar for iOS due to Apple's restrictive distribution policy which violates the GPL license.

Q:
"Now the question that thousand of pilots who have an IPhone/Ipad must be asking including myself, is the next release of the XCsoar 6.3 version available for Mac IOS Iphone and Ipad etc? I hope so"

A:
"No, it won't. This question has been asked many times already, but due to licensing problems we are simply not allowed by Apple to release a version that would run on iPhone/iPad. The Apple AppStore demands that all applications are ONLY distributed over the AppStore and that conflicts with our open source license which demands that no-one should limit anyone in distributing our piece of software in any way you like. We certainly would like to see it running on iOS devices too, but unless Apples lifts this restriction there is not much that we can do about it... Sorry!"
Source: http://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?t=230
Old May 3rd 15, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I think the time has come for the great talents of the skylines developers to be offered to iOS community even if a data compromise must be endured in the manner the app functions vs android. Please reconsider your stance! I am willing to help develop and/or test.

Old May 3rd 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 7:02:53 AM UTC-7, Karl Kunz wrote:
Since the XCsoar site sends Android users to Google Play to get the software, why do they have a problem with the AppStore. This is just the way that programs are installed on these devices(iOS) and it seems that XCsoar is being MORE restrictive by not allowing one operating system access to an "open source" app.

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:21:34 AM UTC-7, Surge wrote:
Maybe because this iOS issue remains unresolved?
https://www.facebook.com/skylines.pr...52378401447918

There will also not be a version of XCSoar for iOS due to Apple's restrictive distribution policy which violates the GPL license.

Q:
"Now the question that thousand of pilots who have an IPhone/Ipad must be asking including myself, is the next release of the XCsoar 6.3 version available for Mac IOS Iphone and Ipad etc? I hope so"

A:
"No, it won't. This question has been asked many times already, but due to licensing problems we are simply not allowed by Apple to release a version that would run on iPhone/iPad. The Apple AppStore demands that all applications are ONLY distributed over the AppStore and that conflicts with our open source license which demands that no-one should limit anyone in distributing our piece of software in any way you like. We certainly would like to see it running on iOS devices too, but unless Apples lifts this restriction there is not much that we can do about it... Sorry!"
Source: http://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?t=230

The stated reasons are BS. All kinds of GPL stuff distributed by Apple, including the OS.

If I was Apple, I would not approve XCSoar due to its antiquated UI. On an iPhone this would be kind of like buying a F1 chassis and fitting Model T controls to it - hand throttle and spark advance, foot pedal to shift gears. I realize XCSoar is written to also be fit to Model T chassis so that is a compromise they think they have to make.
Old May 3rd 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

the GPL issue is not

the IOS backgorund task issue is easily handled, and I just posted a link to how to handle it.

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 3:21:34 AM UTC-4, Surge wrote:
Maybe because this iOS issue remains unresolved?
https://www.facebook.com/skylines.pr...52378401447918

There will also not be a version of XCSoar for iOS due to Apple's restrictive distribution policy which violates the GPL license.

Q:
"Now the question that thousand of pilots who have an IPhone/Ipad must be asking including myself, is the next release of the XCsoar 6.3 version available for Mac IOS Iphone and Ipad etc? I hope so"

A:

Old May 3rd 15, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 12:03:15 PM UTC-7, Bob Pasker wrote:
the GPL issue is not

the IOS backgorund task issue is easily handled, and I just posted a link to how to handle it.

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 3:21:34 AM UTC-4, Surge wrote:
Maybe because this iOS issue remains unresolved?
https://www.facebook.com/skylines.pr...52378401447918

There will also not be a version of XCSoar for iOS due to Apple's restrictive distribution policy which violates the GPL license.

Q:
"Now the question that thousand of pilots who have an IPhone/Ipad must be asking including myself, is the next release of the XCsoar 6.3 version available for Mac IOS Iphone and Ipad etc? I hope so"

A:
"No, it won't. This question has been asked many times already, but due to licensing problems we are simply not allowed by Apple to release a version that would run on iPhone/iPad. The Apple AppStore demands that all applications are ONLY distributed over the AppStore and that conflicts with our open source license which demands that no-one should limit anyone in distributing our piece of software in any way you like. We certainly would like to see it running on iOS devices too, but unless Apples lifts this restriction there is not much that we can do about it... Sorry!"
Source: http://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?t=230

There are dozens of apps for the iOS which do this in the background - so clearly is possible.
Old May 4th 15, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Sunday, 3 May 2015 16:02:53 UTC+2, Karl Kunz wrote:
Since the XCsoar site sends Android users to Google Play to get the software, why do they have a problem with the AppStore. This is just the way that programs are installed on these devices(iOS) and it seems that XCsoar is being MORE restrictive by not allowing one operating system access to an "open source" app.

The GPL License is incompatible with many application-distribution-systems, like the Mac App Store, and certain other software distribution platforms (on smartphones as well as PCs). The problem lies in the right "To make a copy for your neighbour", as this right is violated by the integrated DRM-Systems made to prevent copying of paid software.

The reason that the Mac App Store (and similar projects) is incompatible with GPL-licensed apps is not inherent in the concept of an app store, but is rather specifically due to Apple's terms-of-use requirement[105] that all apps in the store utilize Apple DRM-restrictions.

More details at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Gen...o_app_st ores

I fail to see how XCSoar is being "more" restrictive when Apple is the one throwing the spanner in the works due to their draconian licensing regime.
You're free to download XCSoar source code and port/cross compile it for iOS if you want to.
Old May 4th 15, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 8:29:37 AM UTC+3, Surge wrote:
The GPL License is incompatible with many application-distribution-systems, like the Mac App Store, and certain other software distribution platforms (on smartphones as well as PCs). The problem lies in the right "To make a copy for your neighbour", as this right is violated by the integrated DRM-Systems made to prevent copying of paid software.

That may be the FSF's line, but it is not correct.

Nothing restricts you from putting your app in the Mac App Store and also distributing it in other ways (e.g. from your own web site) without DRM. Many apps do this e.g. BBEdit

Nothing restricts you from making the source code of a Mac App Store app available, which also preserves the "free as in speech" demands of the GPL. Anyone is free to get a developer subscription and xCode and compile the source code themselves. (applies also to iOS app store).
Old May 4th 15, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Indeed.

skylines down? Brad[_2_] Soaring 0 April 28th 15 05:01 AM
How are flights in SkyLines scored? kirk.stant Soaring 2 April 12th 14 08:43 AM
SkyLines Updates Tobias Bieniek Soaring 3 April 24th 13 07:33 AM