A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

IOS App for Skylines?

Old May 4th 15, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default IOS App for Skylines?

Well, then, why doesn't someone who's a competent programmer and who
likes Apple products just do it?

On 5/4/2015 3:42 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 8:29:37 AM UTC+3, Surge wrote:
The GPL License is incompatible with many application-distribution-systems, like the Mac App Store, and certain other software distribution platforms (on smartphones as well as PCs). The problem lies in the right "To make a copy for your neighbour", as this right is violated by the integrated DRM-Systems made to prevent copying of paid software.

That may be the FSF's line, but it is not correct.

Nothing restricts you from putting your app in the Mac App Store and also distributing it in other ways (e.g. from your own web site) without DRM. Many apps do this e.g. BBEdit

Nothing restricts you from making the source code of a Mac App Store app available, which also preserves the "free as in speech" demands of the GPL. Anyone is free to get a developer subscription and xCode and compile the source code themselves. (applies also to iOS app store).

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 4th 15, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]
external usenet poster

The problem with the iOS devices is there is not a good daylight readable option.

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:34:51 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

The GPL License is incompatible with many application-distribution-systems, like the Mac App Store, and certain other software distribution platforms (on smartphones as well as PCs). The problem lies in the right "To make a copy for your neighbour", as this right is violated by the integrated DRM-Systems made to prevent copying of paid software.

Nothing restricts you from putting your app in the Mac App Store and also distributing it in other ways (e.g. from your own web site) without DRM. Many apps do this e.g. BBEdit

Nothing restricts you from making the source code of a Mac App Store app available, which also preserves the "free as in speech" demands of the GPL. Anyone is free to get a developer subscription and xCode and compile the source code themselves. (applies also to iOS app store).

--

Dan Marotta

Old May 4th 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 8:38:19 AM UTC-7, Karl Kunz wrote:
The problem with the iOS devices is there is not a good daylight readable option.

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:34:51 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

--

Dan Marotta

Actually I find the iPhone 6+ to be more readable than an Oudie/Avier/V2 in any light at any angle. I own both.
Old May 5th 15, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Same here. iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 4 are far, far (the two smartphones that I use), better than the now ancient Oudie in literally every conceivable form of measure other than raw brightness. Thee difference in total brightness is very small now with the latest smartphones. SeeYou is so outdated that its almost comical. It truly pains me to use an Oudie when the far better devices are in the pocket of my glider (still illegal to use them in the USA although that might be evolving soon...).
Old May 5th 15, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:36:50 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Same here. iPhone 6 and the Galaxy Note 4 are far, far (the two smartphones that I use), better than the now ancient Oudie in literally every conceivable form of measure other than raw brightness. Thee difference in total brightness is very small now with the latest smartphones. SeeYou is so outdated that its almost comical. It truly pains me to use an Oudie when the far better devices are in the pocket of my glider (still illegal to use them in the USA although that might be evolving soon...).

Only illegal to use them with the cell transmitter on, and then only for obsolete reasons. "could result in suspension of service and/or a fine" - does anyone know of a fine that has been paid? If you carry a cell phone in your glider you realize you have to have the regulations posted on or near each cell phone...
Old May 5th 15, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:26:23 AM UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

Only illegal to use them with the cell transmitter on, and then only for obsolete reasons. "could result in suspension of service and/or a fine" - does anyone know of a fine that has been paid? If you carry a cell phone in your glider you realize you have to have the regulations posted on or near each cell phone...

Oh! It's a FCC regulation, not an FAA one?

In NZ it's always been common for pilots to use their mobile phones. Very often you can be shadowed from air traffic control transponders by mountains (or simply distance and lack of radio power) and ATC doesn't even blink when a pilot phones them in-flight with a position report or query.
Old May 5th 15, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:26:23 AM UTC+3, jfitch wrote:

Oh! It's a FCC regulation, not an FAA one?

In NZ it's always been common for pilots to use their mobile phones. Very often you can be shadowed from air traffic control transponders by mountains (or simply distance and lack of radio power) and ATC doesn't even blink when a pilot phones them in-flight with a position report or query.

Yes, FCC, at the request of the network operators, from 20 years ago when there were technical problems with too many towers in range and speeds exceeding the handoff assumptions.
Old May 5th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

As a retired engineer I recall the old wisdom that "better is the enemy
of good enough".

My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the same
information that your systems do though it does not bring me a
cappuccino and massage my shoulders while I fly... Sure the new
products are great, calling what works comical is simply snobbish.

On 5/4/2015 8:36 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:

--
Dan Marotta

Old May 5th 15, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:20:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
As a retired engineer I recall the old wisdom that "better is the
enemy of good enough".

My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the
same information that your systems do though it does not bring me a
cappuccino and massage my shoulders while I fly...* Sure the new

--

Dan Marotta

"My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the same information that your systems do" Well, - in a word - No. There is no doubt that it costs a lot to approach perfect, but I could as easily say that I can get the same information from a pellet variometer and a sectional chart as you get on your Dell Streak. Yet the discerning person notices a difference.
Old May 5th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ok, so how about listing a few bullet points of the things that you can do on your iOS device (running what SW package?) that can't be done on Android running XCsoar? This isn't an attempt to be argumentative - I'd really just like to understand why one is or isn't better than (or equivalent to) the other.

Robert

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 1:11:12 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:20:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
As a retired engineer I recall the old wisdom that "better is the
enemy of good enough".

My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the
same information that your systems do though it does not bring me a
cappuccino and massage my shoulders while I fly...* Sure the new

--

Dan Marotta

"My ancient Dell Streak 5 ($100) running XCSoar (free!) gives me the same information that your systems do" Well, - in a word - No. There is no doubt that it costs a lot to approach perfect, but I could as easily say that I can get the same information from a pellet variometer and a sectional chart as you get on your Dell Streak. Yet the discerning person notices a difference.