PowerFLARM choking on too many targets?

Old July 23rd 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default PowerFLARM choking on too many targets?

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 8:42:18 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement).
It happens all the time actually...
I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.
I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.

Sean, can you also confirm you have never had a problem
with either the SN10 or Oudie WRT received PowerFLARM data?
Thanks!

PS: I've never had the problem with the Butterfly display.
Old July 23rd 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 7:49:39 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 8:42:18 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement).
It happens all the time actually...
I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.
I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.

Sean, can you also confirm you have never had a problem
with either the SN10 or Oudie WRT received PowerFLARM data?
Thanks!

PS: I've never had the problem with the Butterfly display.

Dave, I have the PowerFLARM core + SN10b + Oudie 2 + Butterfly 57mm display and have never had a reboot in any of the devices.
Old July 23rd 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.
Old July 23rd 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 10:49:39 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 8:42:18 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Yes, I have been getting this behavior often (understatement).
It happens all the time actually...
I never had this problem on my flarm portable FWIW.
I am brick-SN10-flarmView-Oudie with the associated Goddard cables.

Sean, can you also confirm you have never had a problem
with either the SN10 or Oudie WRT received PowerFLARM data?
Thanks!

PS: I've never had the problem with the Butterfly display.

Yes, confirmed. It seems that only the FlarmView is resetting/rebooting. The SN10 and the Oudie are not.
Old July 23rd 15, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 11:18:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have had the same problem with FlarmView. Noticeable when many targets are around. e.g. in the start cylinder and then once out on course with fewer targets, it returns to normal behavior. Frustrating as it essentially becomes useless as a display while it is exhibiting this rapid cycling between the splash page and the default start page. My setup is PowerFlarm core- S80 (DB9) and FlarmView (RJ45)- Avier XCSoar (through the S80). No problem with the GPS signal from the core.

Do people with this problem have PCAS alarms on or off? I had a similar problem last year and it seemed to be related to gliders with Flarm and Transponder operating.

BTW, there needs to be a way on Flarmview to tone down the PCAS warnings in thermals. If I'm flying with gliders with operating transponders I have to turn the PCAS off entirely or I spend 100% of my thermalling time turning off the alarms. I've tried different FlarmView settings to no avail so I've been reduced to setting the config on the PowerFLARM to turn PCAS off.

9B
Old July 23rd 15, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 5:58:55 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
[...]

This is a symptom of improper mode setting (aircraft type) in the FLARMs of the gliders which "alarmed" you - if they are not set as glider in flarmcfg.txt, the warning parameters are much wider (and greatly affects warnings in thermals). We saw a few of these at the Pan-American contest and it took a few days to get everyone configured correctly (just a few days after PF 6.0 firmware came out). Some portables seemed to reset themselves, but that might have been finger trouble.

Dan
2D

Check the aircraft type is "1" in flarmcfg.txt.
Old July 24th 15, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:58:55 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
[...]

No such problems with the Butterfly display. Never needed to turn off PCAS or turn the volume down. only an occasional beep. So far it sounds like the butterfly display is a better option than FlarmView.

Ramy
Old July 24th 15, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Walt Rogers, WX, can also confirm that I have never seen this problem with the Butterfly display and PF (lastest version of both) including all flights at the Club Class national this summer.

Old July 24th 15, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 3:16:45 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that's not the case here since I helped set up the other Flarm config myself. It's a bit of a laborious trial and error process of course, so it's hard to be sure.

I remember thinking it ought to be straightforward to suppress Mode-S PCAS warnings for gliders also carrying Flarm, based on ICAO address, but I vaguely remember there is a reason why this can't work...something about Mode-S transponders also replying to other types of interrogations. (Yet another reason why the FAA would probably have done us all a favor if they'd mandated Mode S as part of a transition to ADS-B 1090 ES Out (like Europe) rather than the whole UAT debacle).

9B
Old July 25th 15, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

I tried the Beta 2.21 flarmview software today and it solved the problem! No more splash screen spasms, even with 5-10 active flarm targets, scale at .3miles, and lots of transponders. No other obvious side effects to this beta...

Thanks Richard