Leaving the community

Old November 23rd 04, 02:19 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Murder is not generally considered a religious trait.

That's only because religious people don't regard it as murder if they kill
someone who doesn't belong to their faith. More people have been killed over
religion than anything else.

George Patterson
Old November 23rd 04, 02:19 PM
Matt Whiting

MC wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:32:55 GMT, "Howard Nelson"
wrote:

Athiest is a religion. Reading further into the stats on that
site they say 15% of the world's population have no religion and

that number is falling, which I find surprising.

Probably so. Religion and revolution always rise when existence
becomes too harsh to rationally accept.

I also am curious about your assertion that "atheism is a religion".

As far as I know, there are no atheistic altars, no stone buildings,no
holy books, no wailing walls, no ceremonies, no prayers, no hymns,
indeed, none of the things that are generally associated with
religion..

If one were to define religion as a "belief a theory which cannot

be proven by scientific inquiry (i.e.. a faith) then atheism would
qualify as a religion since you can no more prove the absence of
GOD then one can prove the existence of GOD.

My definition of a real, authentic religion is that it requires at
least a few people who are willing to kill others who don't believe as
they do. Christianity, Islam, Hindu, Sikh, even Buddhism, (I
believe), all qualify.

That is the dumbest definition I've ever heard.

Actually, it is the essence of a true believer..
"True Believers" *know* that they *are* right and
therefore anybody who has any dissenting view is a
non-believer and must to be killed because they are
obviously influenced by spirits/devil(s)/etc and
cannot be allowed to spread their contagion.

AFAIK and history bears it out, atheists, agnostics
and people with non-fanatical religious beliefs don't
go around killing people who hold contrary views.

Neither do people who belong to legitimate and mainstream religions. It
is fun to watch folks like you try to lump fanatic nut cases like Hitler
with religion. I'm sorry you don't have a legitimate issue and have to
fabricate issues like this to try to support your prejudices.

Matt

Old November 23rd 04, 02:21 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:19:02 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Murder is not generally considered a religious trait.

That's only because religious people don't regard it as murder if they kill
someone who doesn't belong to their faith. More people have been killed over
religion than anything else.

George Patterson

Or even those that do belong to their own faith, but not in quite the
"right" way.
Old November 23rd 04, 02:22 PM
Dan Girellini

== cfeyeeye writes:

But hose with their heads buried in the religious sands (or in anatomical
locations where the sun don't shine) just never see it.

Why are you picking on the prostitutes? What do they have to do with it?

--
PGP key at http://www.longhands.org/drg-pgp.txt Key Id:0x507D93DF
Old November 23rd 04, 02:44 PM
jls

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
MC wrote:

wrote:

[...]

During Hitler's ascendancy and power, millions did not view him as a
"fanatic nut case." Matter of fact he visited regularly with his close
friend Pope Pius in Rome.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:05 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:16:34 -0500, Matt Whiting
wrote:

And there is a recent christian culture that gassed and burned 6
million human beings.

I'm not sure what a christian culture is, but a Christian culture didn't
do that. It was a Christian culture that came to the defense of the Jews.

You need to pick up a good history book and spend a little time with
it.
Old November 23rd 04, 03:17 PM
Matt Whiting

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Murder is not generally considered a religious trait.

That's only because religious people don't regard it as murder if they kill
someone who doesn't belong to their faith. More people have been killed over
religion than anything else.

Where is your data? I think far more have been killed over greed than
religion. Unfortunately, my data is about as good as yours. :-)

Matt

Old November 23rd 04, 03:18 PM
Matt Whiting

MC wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I didn't say he was stupid. Most fanatics are pretty good a camoflaging
it until they have sufficient power to accomplish their goals.

Matt