Leaving the community

Old November 23rd 04, 03:34 PM
Jay Honeck

Murder is not generally considered a religious trait.

That's only because religious people don't regard it as murder if they
kill
someone who doesn't belong to their faith. More people have been killed
over
religion than anything else.

You know I agree with you, but my point is that murder is not restricted to
religions or religious people.

There have been plenty of people killed by atheists and agnostics.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 23rd 04, 03:42 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:17:16 -0500, Matt Whiting
wrote:

That's only because religious people don't regard it as murder if they kill
someone who doesn't belong to their faith. More people have been killed over
religion than anything else.

Where is your data? I think far more have been killed over greed than
religion. Unfortunately, my data is about as good as yours. :-)

Matt

Religion is a form of greed.

As an example, when the rapture comes, only the born again will enjoy
the blessings of heaven, while the rest of us burn in a sea of fire.

Not really a good example of sharing the wealth, is it?
Old November 23rd 04, 03:49 PM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:18:38 -0500, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Neither do people who belong to legitimate and mainstream religions. It
is fun to watch folks like you try to lump fanatic nut cases like Hitler
with religion. I'm sorry you don't have a legitimate issue and have to
fabricate issues like this to try to support your prejudices.

During Hitler's ascendancy and power, millions did not view him as a
"fanatic nut case." Matter of fact he visited regularly with his close
friend Pope Pius in Rome.

I didn't say he was stupid. Most fanatics are pretty good a camoflaging
it until they have sufficient power to accomplish their goals.

Matt

I think the point is that Pius was quite willing to play footsies with
Hitler, not how smart Hitler was.

There was no question about Hitler's character when he was meeting
with his pals in the Vatican. Furthermore, the relationship was as
much about the power of the church as it was Hitler's.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
jls

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Murder is not generally considered a religious trait.

That's only because religious people don't regard it as murder if they

kill
someone who doesn't belong to their faith. More people have been killed

over
religion than anything else.

Where is your data? I think far more have been killed over greed than
religion. Unfortunately, my data is about as good as yours. :-)

Matt

I think you have a point there, Matt. Religion, to quote Stendhal, is
founded on the fears of the many and the cleverness of the few. The greedy
few have slyly used religion to mobilize the masses to do their bidding over
the centuries. Kings, prelates, despots, corporate executives, charismatic
ministers, governors, even elected presidents have found religion useful in
their hunger for wealth and power.

The Bible's justification of slavery -- e. g., the story of Ham in the Old
Testament and Paul's and Timothy's letters in the New --- was quite helpful
for the Conquistadors, the Pilgrims, Tidewater Aristocrats, and the Southern
Planters when they settled the New World.

Old November 23rd 04, 05:12 PM
Dan Luke

Hilarious.

Old November 23rd 04, 05:14 PM
Dan Luke

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

What's funny about it?

I just find really stupid statements humorous.

You must really crack yourself up.