Avid flyer

Old October 5th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default Avid flyer

I have an opportunity to buy an Avid Flyer at a very atrative price.
There seem some drawbacks, though, and I'll be glad to learn how to
weigh them.

-) It is 17 year old and has not flown for 5 years. Seller claims it
spent those 5 years in a dry hangar, though. But I have my concerns
about corrosion on the frame, plus about having to redo the covering.
-) The engine is a Rotax 912UL, i.e. the basic 4-stroke Rotax, 80 hp.
Somewhere I heard that older Rotaxes have a lower TBO than the recent
ones, if so how to make sure? And what measures ought to have been taken
before storing for 5 years? How to test if the long hibernation was well
survived?
-) It is a taildragger and I am but a beginner pilot, took all my
training on tricycles. Can a taildragger Avid Flyer be converted to
tricycle? If so, how much of an effort does it take?
-) I hear rumours that even if all taildraggers are nasty suckers, the
Kitfox and its relatives are particularly nasty - and they're all
descended from the Avid Flyer. Any comments?

Thanks in advance,
KA
Old October 6th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Pete Christensen

Don't know about Avid specifically but more than a year ago I bought a
Kitfox III that is 17 years old and sat quite a bit over the years and also
has a 912 engine. The original GCS prop was trash and had to be replaced.
Other than that I have put on 150 hours with only normal maintenance. As
for 912 TBO yes it was shorter but I believe if you do all the updates it
will equal or exceed TBO. Now I have never flown an Avid but my Kitfox is
NOT any harder than most Taildraggers. Can't speak for other Kitfoxes but
whoever said "Kitfox and its relatives are particularly nasty" is a girlyman
and should turn in his pilot's license.

Pete

Old October 6th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Much more likely, whoever said it (about most types) happened to fly an
example with the main undercarriage missalligned. Have a mechanic check it
who is familiar with tail wheel aircraft.

Peter

m...

Old October 6th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
Much more likely, whoever said it (about most types) happened to fly an
example with the main undercarriage missalligned. Have a mechanic check it
who is familiar with tail wheel aircraft.

Peter

Or the guy just had two left feet?
Old October 7th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 5, 1:05 pm, jan olieslagers
wrote:
-) It is a taildragger and I am but a beginner pilot, took all my
training on tricycles. Can a taildragger Avid Flyer be converted to
tricycle? If so, how much of an effort does it take?

I bet it would probably cost as much money and time to convert that
airplane to a trike as it would to convert you to a taildragger pilot.
Best thing about becoming a TD pilot is that you will be ably to fly
any subsequent airplane, not just your triked Avid. Isn't that a
better investment?

Dan

Old October 7th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

wrote:
-) It is a taildragger and I am but a beginner pilot, took all my
training on tricycles. Can a taildragger Avid Flyer be converted to
tricycle? If so, how much of an effort does it take?

I bet it would probably cost as much money and time to convert that
airplane to a trike as it would to convert you to a taildragger pilot.

To make that assumption, one must be able to estimate both factors.
Being a slow learner, I think the effort to make me a taildragger pilot
might be considerable; with the added complication of having to find an
adequate instructor, available when I am, &C

Best thing about becoming a TD pilot is that you will be ably to fly
any subsequent airplane, not just your triked Avid. Isn't that a
better investment?

Acquiring the technique is one thing, keeping it up is another. Your
reasoning applies for someone flying often, and in different planes. Bar
major financial progress, this is not my outlook. And in the long run a
tricycle will be intrinsically safer, I believe, but that's another
discussion.

So allow me to repeat the question: what kind and amount of work would
it take to convert a taildragger Avid Flyer to tricycle?
Old October 7th 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Hogwash! I might buy that in a fast glass taildragger, but an Avid?

LEARN
Old October 7th 09, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

cavelamb schreef:

LEARN

Don't want to be rude, Richard, but I am coming here for answers, not
for orders.
Old October 7th 09, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Apologies offered, jan.

But understand, this is the perfect airplane to learn the art.
If it's set up at all right, they don't come any more docile.

Add the ultra low speed for takeoff and landing, a steerable
tailwheel, and differential braking (I'm happy with heels -
some want to toe dance), it's just doesn't get much better!

So, in my humble opinion, go forth and do it.
You are going to love it!

Richard

Old October 7th 09, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

wrote:
[...]

Once your feet get woke up learning to takeoff and land the taildragger
you will not lose the skill. I went for a few years not flying a TD and
had no problem getting back in to one. I think you will find this true
for anyone who has mastered TD's.

--
We have met the enemy and he is us-- Pogo

Anyolmouse

Avid Flyer OtisWinslow Home Built 6 May 9th 05 01:03 PM
Avid OtisWinslow Home Built 0 April 29th 05 05:25 PM
On buying a "used" kit (Avid Flyer) Paul Gifford Home Built 0 February 28th 04 07:07 AM
Whats up with Avid Deckard Home Built 1 November 24th 03 11:08 AM
AVID FLYER question OB1 Kanobe Home Built 0 August 14th 03 02:46 PM