question i was thinking and should ask my cfi

Old July 10th 03, 08:04 AM
Peter Duniho

Default question i was thinking and should ask my cfi

"Matthew Chidester" wrote in message
but everytime I take a lesson here from salt lake international and listen
to atis.. why doesn't atis just GIVE you the density alt. at the surface

on
hot days instead of the "check density alt." we get here..

I don't know the answer. You're right, it would be useful. Most
high-altitude airports I've been to carry a similar warning.

However, I will mention that at some airports, I have heard the density
altitude reported on the *automated* weather system (ASOS or AWOS). I don't
know what it takes to include that, though I assume it does involve extra
equipment (after all, if it didn't you'd think they'd all report it).

Pete

Old July 10th 03, 12:50 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:16:47 GMT, "Matthew Chidester"
wrote:

I know this is a stupid question..

but everytime I take a lesson here from salt lake international and listen
to atis.. why doesn't atis just GIVE you the density alt. at the surface on
hot days instead of the "check density alt." we get here..

do other busy airports (class B) do the same? seems like you could just word
is like a metar and code it right after the altimeter setting or something
"flt lvl 90 density"

I know i sound lazy but for quick stops I have to whip out the old
calculator and work it out (seems dumb)

any other airports just say "check density alt?"

Matthew

Heck, it's reported around here where it's rarely a significant issue. I
would think it could easily be reported, and should be, in your area.

Old July 10th 03, 01:30 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Matthew Chidester wrote:
I know this is a stupid question..

but everytime I take a lesson here from salt lake international and listen
to atis.. why doesn't atis just GIVE you the density alt. at the surface on
hot days instead of the "check density alt." we get here..

Matthew, I don't know the answer. Many airports I've been to
w/ ASOS or AWOS give density altitude. It does seem that "density
altitude niner thousand" vs. "check density altitude" is only one
additional word. I assume that some airports have some sort of
automated DA calculation and others don't, and don't ask the
person taping the ATIS to do the calculation.

As far as whipping out the calculater, I just laminated a DA chart
onto my kneeboard. Before I set the altimeter, I read off the
pressure altitude and OAT and look at the chart.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 10th 03, 02:08 PM
Dennis O'Connor

My cheesy, two bit, uncontrolled airport located at a massive 600 MSL, has
an awos that gives density altitude when the temperature (or whatever) goes
above some magic number... So it ain't hard and it ain't expensive, or we
wouldn't have it... I suspect the fine hand of a scum bag attorney in those
high altitude airports that don't report it...

Denny

"Peter Duniho" but everytime I take a lesson here from salt lake

Old July 11th 03, 02:03 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Matthew Chidester" wrote in message news:PM5Pa.23360$N7.2983@sccrnsc03...
I know this is a stupid question..

but everytime I take a lesson here from salt lake international and listen
to atis.. why doesn't atis just GIVE you the density alt. at the surface on
hot days instead of the "check density alt." we get here..

Some airports do. Some airports also have giant digital signs at the
runup to give you density altitude (I live in California near the
Sierras). I guess its just lazy. I can understand the benefit to
keeping the ATIS short though.
Old July 11th 03, 04:20 AM
Matthew Chidester

yeah thanks for the reply guys - when you hear salt lake cities atis
broadcast it just goes on and on and on.. "salt lake eight departure is a
radar vectored departure.. expect departure control freq on dep.."

just seems crazy like today it was near a 100F and all it says is "check
density alt"

anyway i had to vent that off but laminating that DA chart is a good idea
but safety to me if winds are forcasted shouldn't extreme hi DA be? i dunno
*shrug* oh well i'm sure it's gotta be in a reg somewhere

Matthew