Central Florida airfield ....

Old September 23rd 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default Central Florida airfield ....

Sheets Airfield (FA42) in Groveland Florida has been the home of Quest Air hang gliding for the last 20+ years but was privately owned. The owner has been actively trying to sell the property with no success until this week.

A trio of individuals whom want to ensure soaring continue at Sheets have purchased the airport and surrounding land, some details here http://ozreport.com/1506090090

Sheets airport is 10 miles north of Seminole Lake gliderport and is a good bailout for gliders if unable to get back to Seminole.

With Quest Air to the north and Wallaby Ranch to the SE of Seminole, glider pilots are frequently sharing thermals with hang glider pilots. Many of us started flying hang gliders before moving to gliders.

Great to see central Florida with so much soaring activity. There will be two HG competitions at Quest and three glider contests at Seminole this spring. Not bad for a state with it's highest point at 345 feet above sea level.
Old September 24th 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 5:26:05 PM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
some details here http://ozreport.com/1506090090

Avast Antivirus flags that link as virus infected.
Old September 24th 17, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 17:33:10 UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 5:26:05 PM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
some details here http://ozreport.com/1506090090

Avast Antivirus flags that link as virus infected.

I understand that it is a false indicator. Bottom line, some details on the folks that bought the airport.
Old September 24th 17, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

I thought that Sheets was a separate airfield from Quest as I landed out at Sheets on a late-day return to Seminole many years ago. Google Earth may have wrongly combined them. I visited Quest (and Seminole) in August. Quest is a gem with real character worth a stop if you are in the area and want to try a tandem hang-gliding flight with very professional instructor pilots.. Check out the clubhouse upstairs at Quest to appreciate the history of the place.

The Oz Report Virus warning prevents me from checking out the Blog but I am glad to hear that Quest will survive. Here is a video I did of my Tandem flight at Quest with the chief instructor at Quest trying to teach an old glider pilot (me) how to fly hang gliders: https://youtu.be/wwoSqAXfqCM

Old September 24th 17, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 7:37:22 AM UTC-4, rec.aviation.soaring wrote:
I thought that Sheets was a separate airfield from Quest as I landed out at Sheets on a late-day return to Seminole many years ago. Google Earth may have wrongly combined them. I visited Quest (and Seminole) in August. Quest is a gem with real character worth a stop if you are in the area and want to try a tandem hang-gliding flight with very professional instructor pilots. Check out the clubhouse upstairs at Quest to appreciate the history of the place.

The Oz Report Virus warning prevents me from checking out the Blog but I am glad to hear that Quest will survive. Here is a video I did of my Tandem flight at Quest with the chief instructor at Quest trying to teach an old glider pilot (me) how to fly hang gliders: https://youtu.be/wwoSqAXfqCM

Quest is on Sheets Airport .
Old September 24th 17, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 8:13:19 AM UTC-4, Ken wrote:

Quest is on Sheets Airport .

The place I landed shows as "Osborn" 1-3/4-miles west of Sheets. Back then (2003) it had an aircraft salvage yard on the east side. I was using the (old) Seminole Turnpoints in my glide computer that must have been wrong. When I called Seminole for a retrieve from Sheets the towplane somehow found me. My memory may be faulty. Sorry for the confusion.
Old September 24th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 06:42:46 UTC-6, rec.aviation.soaring wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 8:13:19 AM UTC-4, Ken wrote:

Quest is on Sheets Airport .

The place I landed shows as "Osborn" 1-3/4-miles west of Sheets. Back then (2003) it had an aircraft salvage yard on the east side. I was using the (old) Seminole Turnpoints in my glide computer that must have been wrong. When I called Seminole for a retrieve from Sheets the towplane somehow found me. My memory may be faulty. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes Osborn is/was west of Sheets. I do not know the current state of Osborn. The Sheets airport is right on highway 33
Old September 24th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 9:30:01 AM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 06:42:46 UTC-6, rec.aviation.soaring wrote:
The place I landed shows as "Osborn" 1-3/4-miles west of Sheets.

Yes Osborn is/was west of Sheets. I do not know the current state of Osborn.

Osborn looked great when I had an unspeakably close look at it during Seniors...
Fortunately a turkey-vulture showed me the way home.
See ya, Dave