How to import turnpoints into SeeYou

Old January 10th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default How to import turnpoints into SeeYou

Hi,

Most of my turnpoints are already on the SeeYou program. I'd say
maybe 95%.

But there's alot of turnpoints that are on the worldwide turnpoint
exchange for my club, that are missing from SeeYou. Such as Ashland
and Ashland2 from wolf river, tn turnpoints

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
Old January 10th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Jan 10, 2:30*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
Hi,

Most of my turnpoints are already on the SeeYou program. *I'd say
maybe 95%.

But there's alot of turnpoints that are on the worldwide turnpoint
exchange for my club, that are missing from SeeYou. *Such as Ashland
and Ashland2 from wolf river, tn turnpoints

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

1) Download the waypoint file - preferably in SeeYou format (.cup)
2) Launch SeeYou
3) File - Open - select the downloaded file
4) Click "yes" when the dialog comes up to ask you if you want to
append the file to existing waypoints
5) Decide if you want to add waypoints that may duplicate existing
ones - SeeYou will ask you on a case-by-case basis

9B
Old January 11th 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

wrote:

Hi,

Most of my turnpoints are already on the SeeYou program. *I'd say
maybe 95%.

But there's alot of turnpoints that are on the worldwide turnpoint
exchange for my club, that are missing from SeeYou. *Such as Ashland
and Ashland2 from wolf river, tn turnpoints

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

1) Download the waypoint file - preferably in SeeYou format (.cup)

** This site: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
can convert most waypoint files to .cup if you don't already have it.

Old January 12th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

wrote:

[...]

I did the same thing with a turnpoint file.

Does anyone know how to remove those turnpoints without deleting the
entire SeeYou waypoint file? For instance, I want to delete the old
Cordele turnpoints when the new 2010 version comes out. Otherwise, I
may reference an out of date turn point.

Lane
Old January 12th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:

[...]

Obviously you can delete individual waypoints within SeeYou by hand.
Not fun.

For small waypoint files you can just load the new file and answer the
dedupe questions to use the new waypoints. For large waypoint files
this may not be fun.

You can also "Save As" a .CUP file and then edit/merge the waypoints
in your favorite text editor.

Probably the easiest way normally is to save (or re-download) all the
source files that make up your SeeYou waypoints. Delete all the
waypoints in SeeYou and load the individual files again. Meaning you
have to carefully go though the dedupe questions again.

For the several overlapping areas I fly somebody maintains a
local .CUP file that is a very carefully done manual merge/dedupe of
several soaring turnpoint exchange files. The little SeeYou icons set
correctly etc. And is very handy.

Darryl
Old January 12th 10, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

wrote:

[...]

If you have decent Excel skills you can take any waypoint file that is
readable as text (LX instruments use a format that isn't easily
decoded) and make changes in a more structured fashion. You can edit
waypoint names and numbering (for instance in WinPilot you need
leading zeros for waypoints to sort properly), the zoom level at which
turnpoint names appear, comment fields, waypoint type designation
(airport, waypoint, landing site).

The way this works in general is that you append .txt to the file name
and open the file using a text editor. Then you cut and paste the
contents into Excel and parse the fields to columns (most waypoint
file formats are comma delimited). Now you can sort, edit and
otherwise manipulate the waypoints individually or in groups. Lastly,
you need to concatenate the columns back into a single column,
properly delimited, cut and paste the resulting column back into
the .txt file save and remove the .txt to turn the file type back to
the original (.cup or whatever). It's easier than trying to directly
edit the .txt file for anything but the simplest change.

The other thing I do for contest flying (particularly if I'm using
SeeYou mobile which downloads it's waypoints from SeeYou desktop) is
remove ALL the waypoints from SeeYou then load the official contest
waypoint file first followed by the SeeYou waypoint file and decline
the replace option for duplicates. This way I am sure to be using the
official waypoint designations and LAT/LONs. There's nothing worse
than thinking you made a turnpoint on an AST or a MAT only to find
that your unofficial waypoint is a quarter mile off from the official
one. Once I've made the combined file I'll save it into a .cup file
for future use. Typically you need to create a different file for each
contest site you fly in a region since where there is an independent
numbering scheme for the official waypoints.

9B