Duo Discus Tech note

Old August 6th 03, 12:48 PM
ventus2ct (Ruud Holswilder)

On 5 Aug 2003 19:52:19 GMT, Al Eddie
wrote:

At 15:12 05 August 2003, Bob Mowry wrote:
Anyone see a first person account of the accident?
It sounds like it
might be some good reading. I wonder exactly how the
pilots were able
to regain control after the failure?

They didn't. They jumped...!

Wrong!
They were able to regain some control and fly the glider over
inhabited terrain.
Than they made the choice to jump.

Old August 6th 03, 04:06 PM
Bob Mowry

Al Eddie wrote in message ...
They didn't. They jumped...!

;-)

"Due to quick-wittedness of the pilots, the glider stayed maneuverable
for another couple of minutes, which enabled them to evacuate the
airplane over an unpopulated area."

This is the part of the notice I was referring to. Perhaps they were
able to use their full underwear as outboard ballast on the shortened
wing

-bob
Old August 7th 03, 12:32 AM
John Giddy

"Bob Mowry" wrote in message
om...
| Al Eddie wrote in
message ...
| They didn't. They jumped...!
|
| ;-)
|
| "Due to quick-wittedness of the pilots, the glider stayed
maneuverable
| for another couple of minutes, which enabled them to
evacuate the
| airplane over an unpopulated area."
|
| This is the part of the notice I was referring to.
Perhaps they were
| able to use their full underwear as outboard ballast on
the shortened
| wing

No, Bob,
On the longer wing ! Think about it...
Cheers, John G.

Old August 7th 03, 12:28 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

I understand that the Duo Discus owned by The Soaring Centre, Husbands
Bosworth has been inspected by Southern Sailplanes (the U.K. Schempp-Hirth
agent) and is back at the club, ready to be flown.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Thomas Knauff" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Schempp-Hirth has issued a tech note 396-8 for Duo Discus serial numbers
165 through 389, and Duo Discus T serial numbers 1 through 78.

These Duo Discus must not be flown until the inspection and repair (if
necessary) is accomplished.

Further details of these tech notes can be found on their web site.

http://www.schempp-hirth.com

or, we can email you copies of the tech note.

Essentially, the bond between the spar and skin of the glider must be
inspected for voids.

The inspection will take 3 to 5 hours.

We are contacting USA repair shops to find out if they have the necessary
tools for the inspection and repair. Please call or email us with your
questions.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies
(814) 355 2483
fax (814) 355 2633

Old August 8th 03, 02:40 AM
Mark Zivley

Today I visited a local Everest VIT office and looked at their video
scope for potential use in examining our wings. It's available in a 25'
length, the scope has a 8.4mm diameter and the tip can articulate if
needed. A 90 degree side viewing tip attachment is available.

http://www.everestvit.com/v_borescopes/xlpro.html

I plan on renting one of these next week to do our plane and put this
out on the NG in case there are people still looking for viable options
with minimal drilling.

The scope can output to a VCR and can also do .JPG still captures.

Fingers crossed for good bonding....

Mark

FWIW both Southwest Airlines and Continental Airlines maintenance groups
were very pleasantly willing to offer suggestions which led to this contact.

Old August 9th 03, 10:10 PM
Thomas Knauff

I have posted the easy inspection procedures using an inexpensive video
camera on my newsletter. No holes need drilled. It is easy.

If you are not subscribed, you can sign up free at www.eglider.org.

If you need instructions emailed, or faxed to you, Please send me an email.