Update on pilot's condition?

Old April 8th 04, 03:30 PM
Stewart Kissel

Default Update on pilot's condition?

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...06X00422&key=1

Old April 8th 04, 03:45 PM
JJ Sinclair

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...06X00422&key=1

Just how does one perform a *Go-Around* in a glider?
JJ Sinclair
Old April 8th 04, 04:15 PM
Andrew Warbrick

At 14:54 08 April 2004, Jj Sinclair wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...06X00422&key=1

Just how does one perform a *Go-Around* in a glider?
JJ Sinclair

Depends on the surroundings of the airfied and the
wind conditions. At Sutton Bank or the Long Mynd, you
put your airbrakes away on approach and pop over the
end of the airfield into the ridge lift. You had to
ask.

It's interesting that the NTSB seem to consider that
this was an accident during an off field landing rather
than a classic stall/spin during a low slow turn.

Old April 9th 04, 02:37 AM
Bob Whelan

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
snip
Just how does one perform a *Go-Around* in a glider?
JJ Sinclair

BTDT!!!

Be on final in an HP-14 w. 90-degrees of flaps going for a short runway,
realize you're going up & will overshoot into Tiger Country, suck up the
hydraulically-operated flaps at ~500' agl & rack it around for another
(successful) try.

As for how one gets into such a situation...

It took some time to recognize 'Serious Cloud Suck' due to: a) climbing w.
full flaps in an HP-14 is 'bloody unlikely,' b) viz ahead was nil due to
heavy rain from the cell over the field, & c) doing the Charles Lindbergh
sideways-/downward-viz thing over featureless prairie doesn't lend itself to
precise vertical calibration. No, I don't want to have to do it again,
contest finish or no contest finish.

Regards,
Bob - got away w. it - Whelan

---

Old April 9th 04, 02:53 AM
Vaughn

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...06X00422&key=1

Just how does one perform a *Go-Around* in a glider?

Did it on one of my early student solos. Damn 2-33 insisted on
climbing in the pattern even with the spoilers fully out. Reached the
runway threshold at a silly height, did the math, and rejoined the downwind
with excellent results. My instructor wasted no time impressing on me
certain alternative ways of handling that situation.

Vaughn

Old April 9th 04, 02:51 PM
JJ Sinclair

I even did it in the Genesis, last week. We were racing home and the Genesis
was staying right with the ASW-27 at 90 knots. I was sooooo pleased that I took
it right down to 100 feet, not remembering that we had a *Federallie* on the
field, pulled up over the end of the runway and entered down wind. Now that
wasn't a low pass, it was an over-exuberance at the performance of my Genesis
with the new wing-fuselage fairing. Climbed with the local hot-shot Libelle in
a 1 knot thermal, also.
:) :) :)
JJ Sinclair
Old April 9th 04, 06:29 PM
Mark James Boyd

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
snip
Just how does one perform a *Go-Around* in a glider?

To perform at the Watsonville airshow, Drew Pierce had to demonstrate
to one of the organizers that the Duo Discus could do
a go-around from 200 feet if necessary (if someone or something
wandered onto the airfield).

I suppose that still air and a long runway means that
carrying the extra speed on the first pass for the possible go-around
wasn't a big deal. I've done a go around in the PW-5
(360) using extra speed and a low pass, and boy I JUST made it back
around, and I kicked myself later (nobody else was
around to kick me). I'd prefer something with more
inertia and less drag...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old April 10th 04, 03:09 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
I even did it in the Genesis, last week. We were racing home and the

Genesis
was staying right with the ASW-27 at 90 knots. I was sooooo pleased that I

took
it right down to 100 feet, not remembering that we had a *Federallie* on

the
field, pulled up over the end of the runway and entered down wind. Now

that
wasn't a low pass, it was an over-exuberance at the performance of my

Genesis
with the new wing-fuselage fairing. Climbed with the local hot-shot

Libelle in
a 1 knot thermal, also.
:) :) :)
JJ Sinclair

Gee, tactlessly buried in another thread.

So JJ, your design?

Frank Whiteley

Old April 10th 04, 03:43 AM
JJ Sinclair

So JJ, your design?

No, I just copied the work that Bob Salvo and Don Kroesch have been doing for
years now. They both did well with modified Genesis's at the Seniors this year
and Bob took 6th, beating all other standard class ships. Old JJ was on the mod
in a heard-beat. It works by eliminating the reflex in the airfoil for the
first 13 inches and then carries a straight line on up the fuselage so that the
air sees only a straight line from high camber point on back to the trailing
edge. The Genesis has been troubled by separation in this area. We were able to
control it with angled vortex generators (12 of them) but they produced quite a
bit of drag, especially at higher speed. My ship will now thermal at 45 knots,
feels sloppy at 42 and stalls (mild) at 40.

So, now she climbs well and has always run well.
JJ Sinclair
Old April 10th 04, 03:50 AM
Robertmudd1u

So JJ, your design?

Frank Whiteley

Frank,

The wing root mod is the work of Bob Salvo and Don Kroesch. Don worked with Bob
and made his own version of the mod. It seems that they are dead even in
performance now. Bob has really led the way in improvments to the Genesis. JJ
is the third one to mod his Genesis and sooner or later all of us will do the
same. There is life in the old bird yet. I mean the glider not JJ. Well JJ
still has lots of life in him, but ... well forget it.

Robert
G2 2009