Forum for new Glider Pilots

Old August 9th 18, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default Forum for new Glider Pilots

Hi Everyone,

I just started taking Glider lessons this last weekend. I'm a Power Pilot with a PPL. So I'll be working on a glider rating.

I'm wondering if there are any good forums for soaring? I've googled it, and dont see allot. I gather that its such a niche sport, there isnt allot of resources out there.

I'm hoping to read posts to learn about thermaling, navigational aids, understanding weather as it relates to soaring, etc. Even though I'm not new to flying, and am new to soaring.

Thanks in advance.
John Huthmaker
Old August 9th 18, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

This forum is SUPPOSED to be about that, but degenerates into back-biting all to often. I recommend starting by reading some good reference books. For starters, you can get the FAA's handbook for free at:
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...h-8083-13a.pdf
Then, I recommend reading Reichman's books:
https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Sailpl.../dp/B0006E1VSK
https://www.amazon.com/Cross-country.../dp/B0006CU278
These books are out of print, but used copies are available.
I don't know where you are located, but I strongly recommend that you find an experienced glider pilot mentor with whom you can discuss specific topics in detail. Unfortunately, forums are not very good at this, and can actually be counter-productive. Send me a private email with your phone and I am happy to discuss this further off-line.

Tom
Old August 9th 18, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 5:15:44 AM UTC+2, John Huthmaker wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just started taking Glider lessons this last weekend. I'm a Power Pilot with a PPL. So I'll be working on a glider rating.

I'm wondering if there are any good forums for soaring? I've googled it, and dont see allot. I gather that its such a niche sport, there isnt allot of resources out there.

I'm hoping to read posts to learn about thermaling, navigational aids, understanding weather as it relates to soaring, etc. Even though I'm not new to flying, and am new to soaring.

Thanks in advance.
John Huthmaker

Theres a gliding section on reddit. Some helpful guys there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gliding/

Our Condor forum - most users are real glider pilots, many retired, so they have decades of real experience. Try

http://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/

Old August 9th 18, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Please consider our popular flight training manual: "Transition To Gliders"
On our website: WWW.EGLIDER.ORG
$29.95 plus shipping.

Tom Knauff

Old August 9th 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 6:22:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Please consider our popular flight training manual: "Transition To Gliders"
On our website: WWW.EGLIDER.ORG
$29.95 plus shipping.

Tom Knauff

Hi Tom,

I'm quite honored that you replied to my thread. I picked up a copy of your book about a month ago, and read it cover to cover. Before reading it, I figured at least some percentage of the material would be stuff I learned as a power pilot. Not so at all. Everything in it is useful knowledge. Great book sir.

John
Old August 9th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Good advice about a mentor.Â* If you can find an experienced XC pilot
with a ship of similar performance to yours and who is willing to take
you by the hand and lead you around a course, you're golden.Â* I was
fortunate that I found someone with the same ship that I had when I was
new and he lead me out to surf the leading edge of a cold front.Â* What a
revelation it was to get away from the field!

Ask questions as much as you can.Â* I recall asking a woman who, on a
practice day before a small weekend contest, had completed the task
before I was half way down the first leg, "How did you fly so fast?"Â*
She simply said, "Don't spend so much time climbing."Â* Again that was
great advice and, following it, I finished in first place in the Sports
Class for that contest.

Read, observe, and ask questions, and then, starting small at first,
extend your range and, before long, you'll be soaring great distances.Â*
It'll change your life.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 9th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

On 8/8/2018 11:51 PM, 2G wrote:
[...]

All good advice. I should probably provide some clarity to my training situation. I joined Soaring Society of America, and found a flying club about 45 minutes from my house. Through them I connected with one of their lead CFIG's, and have an open line of communication with him. I'm sure I could ask him my same questions; but figured asking the masses would likely lead to more insight. With the responsiveness of this aviation group, this might be my best bet. Coincidentally, when I was working on my PPL over 10 years ago, I used rec.aviation.piloting, and found it to be a good place for insight.
Old August 9th 18, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 8:52:29 AM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 8:19:44 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Good advice about a mentor.Â*

snipped
Ask questions as much as you can.Â*

snipped

Read, observe, and ask questions, and then, snipped

Â*
It'll change your life.

On 8/8/2018 11:51 PM, 2G wrote:
This forum is SUPPOSED to be about that, but degenerates into back-biting all to often.

snipped

I'm sure I could ask him my same questions; but figured asking the masses would likely lead to more insight. With the responsiveness of this aviation group, this might be my best bet. Coincidentally, when I was working on my PPL over 10 years ago, I used rec.aviation.piloting, and found it to be a good place for insight.

I am glad you joined SSA. SSA is a huge resource, often under-utilized.

I checked and found you are near me, and associated with a club with a strong training program. Feel free to read EVERYTHING on r.a.s. but then check it with your CFIG members for validity. As a pilot already, you have been through the drill of finding a CFI who makes good sense to you, and charts you a course for steady progress. There is no one-way fits-all path to a glider pilot certificate.

SSA has been hosting webinars this summer to address some of your topics of curiosity. These programs are archived on their web site. You can play them back for free an unlimited number of times.
http://www.ssa.org/MyHome.asp?mbr=8772546648

Also, the Weather Task Force/Committee has a page with tutorials and links. http://www.ssa.org/SoaringWeather

Those links address the topics about which you inquired. A couple folks have offered mentoring. As a long-time CFIG, and former SSA Director, I am a resource also. Keep learning and enjoy soaring. Welcome !

Cindy B
Mojave, CA

Old August 10th 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]

John,

Glider flight simulation can be very helpful in your pursuit of a glider rating. "Condor" is an excellent simulation. I would be happy to help you get going in that direction if you're interested.

Feel free to contact me via my website "gliderCFI.com".

Welcome to soaring!

Scott Manley - CFIG

Old August 11th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 11:57:57 AM UTC-7, Scott Manley wrote:
John,

Glider flight simulation can be very helpful in your pursuit of a glider rating. "Condor" is an excellent simulation. I would be happy to help you get going in that direction if you're interested.

Feel free to contact me via my website "gliderCFI.com".

Welcome to soaring!

Scott Manley - CFIG

I went ahead and purchased a copy of Condor just now. My flight club is grounded this weekend due to the fires, so now I can at least get some practice in.

Structural Differences in Gray Matter between Glider Pilots and Non-Pilots son_of_flubber Soaring 6 November 6th 16 09:42 PM
Sooo ... Glider pilots DO make good jet pilots! AS Soaring 2 November 30th 15 10:02 AM
Choices continued; Another great moderated pilots forum Dudley Henriques[_2_] Piloting 38 June 22nd 08 03:23 AM
Glider Forum Down? Shawn[_5_] Soaring 2 February 16th 08 06:20 PM
Random data from a Cessna Pilots Ass'n. forum, etc. Dan Luke[_2_] Piloting 5 October 3rd 07 08:19 PM