How to promote this thing we do (long post)

Old July 31st 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

Default How to promote this thing we do (long post)

I'm a 10 year lurker in this newsgroup and, like most, time gets in the way
of my flying and/or posting here. But after a week at OSH (missed the party
AGAIN, but this time, I didn't wander around not finding it ) and a newly
re-instated medical, I've been invigorated and am ready again to do this
thing we love.

....But I'm concerned. As many have pointed out, the number of pilots in our
country is falling rapidly. My father and I flew into a monthly breakfast
at a nearby airport about a month ago. At 37 years old, I was one of the
youngest 10% of attendees. Most of the people there were 50-65 and the
remainder even older.

As I wandered around OSH, I made an effort to try to average out the ages of
most of the people there. You had your kids and early teenagers that came
with Mom and Dad and occasionally a 20 yr old. But then there seemed to be
a gap and again, the 35-40 yr olds started the pack again and it went up
from there.

Now, being 37, I know exactly why this is the case. I had the same problems.
Family, career, kids, etc all get "in the way" and flying doesn't make it in
the top ten list of things to spend a limited budget on. But I think what
we're starting to see happening is that flying isn't making it BACK into the
budget once money and time become more available. Things like Harley
Davidson motorcycles, RV's, etc all seem more plausible to the masses than
flying....because we all know flying is a rich man's hobby...right? (said in
jest...sorta).

So, why am I rambling on about the obvious? Here's why. I think groups
like EAA and AOPA need to come back to reality. The Poberezny's and Phil
Boyer have been rubbing elbows with the celebrities and the ultra rich (e.g
Warbird owners) so long, they've forgotten that I had to borrow money to buy
a $29k C172 and get bitched at everytime I have to pay for an annual.

I saved up my sweepstakes tickets from Sport Pilot and entered 30 of them
for the pretty new $190,000 Husky that the EAA was giving away. But, had I
won it, I would have had to sell it to pay the $50k+ tax bill. Now, I would
loved to have won and sold it to buy something I could afford, but the point
is, they are trying to get "the average man" back into flying. Call me
crazy, but the "average man" doesn't spend $190k on an airplane.

I have probably 15 friends around my age that have told me that they "have
always wanted to fly, but just haven't because XXXX" XXXX might be money,
time, fear, whatever. But money is usually the culprit. And most of them
have no real idea what it would cost. They just write it off as something
they can't afford.

Again, what is my point? I dunno. I guess, I'm asking how do we do this?
How do we get the 40 year old's who always wanted to fly, but just never had
time, money or gumption? We tend to really push hard on the young. We have
great programs like Young Eagles to encourage kids to get into aviation, but
now 15 years after that program was started, how many PPL's has it
generated? I'm not suggesting we stop YE, but I am trying to figure out if
that is enough. Obviously, it's not. Would it be possible to have EAA/AOPA
to give away "scholarships" to adults to get their license? If you granted
them $10k each, the EAA could have given away 19 PPL Scholarships for the
money the Husky cost. I know that a $5k donation to my license fund would
have made me get in the air 10 years ago. I would think you could get
vendors and aviation suppliers to donate to the cause just like they do to
the giveaway aircraft. More pilots = More business.

I'm just trying to start a conversation here. I'm excited personally about
my re-instated medical and getting back in the air, but at the same time,
I'm concerned that status quo isn't gonna cut it anymore.

Thoughts?

Jeff Franks
Summertown, TN

Old July 31st 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jeff" jfranks1971 minus wrote in message
[...]

The most important thing (IMO) is that flight schools need to use primary
flight instruction as a "loss leader", cut the cost to the bare bones, and
hopefully bring more people into flying. My local FBO doubled its
instructor rates a few years ago at the same time they sold all the C-152's
and replaced all of 'em with C-172's. The cost/hr for primary flight
instruction went from about $60/hr to about $110/hr in their doggiest C-172.
That alone probably added $2,000 to the cost of getting a private ticket.

And the result is that they do very little flight training for people
wanting a private ticket and are creating virtually no new pilots. In a few
years, the FBO will be asking itself "why isn't anyone renting our C-172's
and Arrow anymore?" The answer... Because all the old guys who were renting
'em are gone and there is nobody to take their place.

On the other hand, there is a guy at my field who is busy virtually every
day teaching LSA and Ultralight lessons. I bet he has taught more people to
fly in the last year than the FBO has in the last 3 years.

The bottom line is that FBO's and Flight schools need to work very hard to
create new private pilots to trickle up to Commercial, IFR, Multi, etc.
ratings (and aircraft) or we'll wake up one day and aviation as we know it
will be gone.

KB

Old July 31st 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'm just trying to start a conversation here. I'm excited personally about
my re-instated medical and getting back in the air, but at the same time,
I'm concerned that status quo isn't gonna cut it anymore.

Great post, Jeff. You're on the right track.

Kyle's point about flight training is also critical. We've got the
same situation in Iowa City, saddled with an FBO that sees flight
training as a "loser" and has raised rates accordingly. The result is
precisely what they desired: Less flight training.

This short-term thinking is going to have very bad results in the near
future. When asked about using LSAs for training, to keep costs down,
their answer was blunt and to the point: We don't do that.

My advice? Mentor your friends. I've personally mentored two people
from zero to Private, and am working on the third -- my son. IMHO if
we don't individually take responsibility for this situation -- each
of us, right now -- GA is going to die right before our eyes.

Congrats on being back in the sky -- and hope to see you at NEXT
year's HOPS party!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:51:57 -0400, Kyle Boatright wrote:

The bottom line is that FBO's and Flight schools need to work very hard to
create new private pilots to trickle up to Commercial, IFR, Multi, etc.
ratings (and aircraft) or we'll wake up one day and aviation as we know it
will be gone.

The problem with this reasoning is that the FBO has little control over
its stream of new/upgrading pilots. The case cited of an FBO that
[effectively] ditched flight training, for example, may be more savvy than
you think. If I were an FBO owner, I'd know what percentage of renters
were from my flight school, what percentage of graduates I lost, and what
percentage of renters were trained elsewhere.

If I found that my stream of students wasn't helping my rental business, I
could easily see myself ditching training (or at least not losing money on
it) for the obvious business reason.

For example, I did my PPL at an FBO where I rarely rented afterward. I
shifted to an FBO with better gear (and then joined a member-owned club).
On the other hand, I did my IR with that second FBO (the one with the
nicer gear). Even though I don't rent there now, I still recommend them
for both training and rental.

Another factor is MX. It may be cheaper to rent a long-suffering 152, but
that aircraft may cost more in MX than something newer and more expensive
to rent. Where should the FBO allocate its dollars?

That second FBO I mentioned, for example, ditched its older 172s (in favor
of SPs, a DA-40 or two, etc.). I wondered how this would do for them;
they do seem to be flying their aircraft with some regularity.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of variables, and - from outside
- its hard to judge exactly how factors balance out. But [cheap] flight
training may not be the income generator we'd all hope.

- Andrew

Old July 31st 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

On a typical sunny sunday afternoon, the FBO at my airport may schedule as
many as 4 90-120 minute lessons back to back in a 172. They will bill 4-6
hours of time for the day, plus they get a "vig" on the instructor's bill.

On the other hand, if I rent the plane for a day trip, I may only fly it 2
hours. If I take the plane overnight, I may further reduce their billings.
When I used to rent at that particular FBO, I used to get a hard time about
renting overnight, and in one instance was instructed to request permission
from the leaseback holder. They didn't want my paltry 4 hours when they could
get 12 elsewhere.

I believe the FBOs want students more then renters. The key incentive for
them to "create new private pilots to trickle up to Commercial, IFR, Multi,
etc." is to hire them or train them or both. If they go fly for American or
United it doesn't really do the FBO any good...

I too belong to a flight club. It's been a great experience, and it has kept
my aviation costs in check. My annual aviation costs have gone up, but not
nearly as much as the FBO's. This particular club has Archers, Arrows, and
Bonanzas, so over time I have built up the necessary experience and training
to fly the whole gamut. I pay about the same hourly price for a Bo that
cruises 170kts as I would for a 172 at the FBO. But I can go almost twice as
far in that time, and I can take my whole family in the plane with full
tanks. I can take the plane for multi-day trips even if I only fly an hour
away, and if I want to go somewhere, even at the last minute, there's almost
always a plane available (although not always a Bo). Summer weekends are a
little bit busy, but the club has instituted rules to prevent abuse and help
ensure availability.

For renters, I think it's the perfect scenario. We've had some members buy
their own planes or partner on a plane and leave the club, but to be honest,
I think they're crazy. If their plane goes in for service, they're SOL. If
one of the club planes goes in for service, there are several others to
choose from...

Anyway, I think to answer Jeff's original question - clubs are the way to go
to keep this industry alive. Every club is a little bit different, but there
are many flight clubs out there. And if there isn't one near you, find a
couple of owners and start one! One of the members of our club did that when
he moved to the next state.

Clubs. It's the next plastics.

The only other way to save this industry (and maybe this country) is to kill
all the lawyers and insurance companies.

Andrew Gideon wrote in
news

Old July 31st 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:03:18 +0000, Judah wrote:

[...]

I believe the FBOs want students more then renters.

You raise some excellent points about which I'd forgotten. Every FBO from
which I rented had some type of "daily minimum" for this reason.

On the other hand, at least once I'd a plane rented out from under me by
someone planning a long trip. It was the one 172SP at that FBO at the
time, and it was for my IR checkride. So rather than having a plane with
GPS and without ADF, I'd a plane without GPS and with ADF. Unpleasant!

[Fortunately, I'd a thorough CFII that had made me learn real NDP
approaches anyway. I did pass.]

The big difference, I'd guess, is that the long trip included a lot of
weekdays during which there's less student activity.

The key incentive for
them to "create new private pilots to trickle up to Commercial, IFR,
Multi, etc." is to hire them or train them or both. If they go fly for
American or United it doesn't really do the FBO any good...

Do most graduating student pilots go on to fly professionally like that?
In my "aviation social circle", we're all GA-ers. But that's the result
of the selection process; I've no idea what people pass through training
and then "move on".

I can take the plane for
multi-day trips even if I only fly an hour away, and if I want to go
somewhere, even at the last minute, there's almost always a plane
available (although not always a Bo). Summer weekends are a little bit
busy, but the club has instituted rules to prevent abuse and help ensure
availability.

I'm curious: what rules?

But you're right about multi-day trips. I'd forgotten about FBOs' daily
minimums because clubs (certainly mine, and I presume most if not all)
don't have that.

[Although: I once rented from an FBO and deliberately planned the trip for
"inside" the daily minimum (so I'd not have to pay one). Weather delayed
my return such that I should have paid it, but the FBO said "no". That
was decent of them.]

For renters, I think it's the perfect scenario. We've had some members
buy their own planes or partner on a plane and leave the club,

That's the way most people "graduate" here too.

but to be
honest, I think they're crazy. If their plane goes in for service,
they're SOL. If one of the club planes goes in for service, there are
several others to choose from...

That's my reasoning!

On the other hand, though, there are 45 (or whatever size club you have)
to satisfy when making decisions in a club. If most are VFRers, for
example, will they all want to spend money for backup vacuum and WAAS?
Most of the people that graduate to their own planes do so for "more
plane" (in one way or another) than the club has (ie. one fellow left for
a twin, another left for a brand new SR-22, etc.).

On the other other hand, we get to share the work too in the club which
helps keep the "costs" down in a complete different way.

Anyway, I think to answer Jeff's original question - clubs are the way
to go to keep this industry alive.

That's a very interesting point (and one which naturally appeals to me {8^).

[...]

The only other way to save this industry (and maybe this country) is to
kill all the lawyers and insurance companies.

Don't forget the FAA mouthpieces for the airline industry trying to push
for a tax break for them funded by GA fees.

I read in some magazine a funny aside: from where are all those VLJs going
to come given the shrinking pilot population?

- Andrew

Old July 31st 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
thelaker

On Jul 30, 11:10 pm, "Jeff" jfranks1971 minus
wrote:

Now, being 37, I know exactly why this is the case.

You post is interesting since I am the same age and got me to reflect
on why I'm a student pilot (about 30 hours in for a PPL). It really
was a combination of a bunch of things:
1. My grandfather was a private pilot with his own C-150. It kind of
scared me as a little kid, but I did go for rides and got used to
small planes.
2. My neighbor is an A&P and a pilot. He's taken me up on rides and
we talk flying a lot.
3. My father has become quite ill over the last year and his
prognosis is poor. Since he isn't even at the traditional retirement
age, it's made me think how we don't really know how much time we have
left in our lives.
4. We have no kids and my wife is understanding.

I guess if #4 wasn't true, I wouldn't be flying at all!!

I am reluctant to talk about flying to other people I know (mostly my
co-workers) since I don't want my employer to think I make too much
money, and the brother of one of the senior managers was involved in a
serious small plane crash that killed his wife and children and left
him disabled with burns.

I am part of a flying club now. I am also in a position where I
couldn't keep any plane "given" to me via a contest (AOPA, Sporty's,
etc), since I couldn't even afford the fixed costs of hanger rental,
insurance, maintenance, etc, let alone the taxes. I do think that
flight training "scholarships" would be a far better way to promote GA
than plane giveaways.

Old July 31st 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Several good points have been made about how other lifestyle choices
interfere with and compete for a potential students time and income. A
thought that has been running through my head concerns the "Big Box Store
Generation's" fixation with immediate satisfaction without impediments nor
at the expense of anything else in their lives. Today's potential pilots
who have the money to spend on aviation want things NOW and they don't want
any new hobby to interfere in any way with their existing hobbies or
lifestyles.

If we dare mention to a potential student that he may have to drive a used
car for a couple extra years in order to afford flight lessons and/or that
it may take him as long as 6 months to get his PPL, many of today's
potential pilots counter with "wow, that's too much money and takes too way
long, I think I'll go buy a boat/motorcycle/race-car/ATV/big screen TV, I'll
keep it at home, and I can have it by 4pm today. Our worst competition is
this instant gratification mentality. Aviation takes more than money, it
takes time and dedication before satisfaction can occur. Today's Big Box
Store generation wants to skip the time and dedication part and simply trade
money for satisfaction.

Now.... what to do about it. A couple things come to mind.

First aviation is social and is largely based on sharing opportunities and
experiences with others. If we want to create more pilots, we need to
invite more people into the aviation. EAA and OSH are good examples of where
and how we can show a potential enthusiast what the aviation lifestyle
includes and that it isn't "just" flying. You might know someone who is an
awesome mechanic, author, novelist, painter, artist, teacher, photographer,
carpenter, mason, web designer, computer tech, etc etc AND they have shown
an interest in aviation... GET THEM INVOLVED!!! Show them where and how
they can add their skills and talents to their interest in aviation.
Aviation enthusiasts can breed more pilots than pilots alone! Look at all
the volunteers at OSH or at the EAA Museum. I've never once entered the EAA
Museum without a volunteer, mostly retired individuals, rush forward to ask
me if I've ever been to the Museum or if I know about the Young Eagles
Program. I almost feel bad telling them how often that we visit because it
cuts their speech short.... they live and breathe aviation enthusiasm and so
can YOU!

Next choose your victim, learn their abilities and their goals. Maybe you
know someone that just loves to hang out around airplanes but has no
interest or lacks the financial or physical ability to become a pilot. Next
time you need help with your plane or volunteer for an airport event, ask
this person to tag along. Introduce him to fellow pilots, your CFI, your
A&P, your Pilot's Association etc Nothing brings people to airports more
than people at airports. They all don't have to be pilots! Flying is
largely social. We ALL spend more time talking or typing about it than we
actually spend executing it. The next time you go to the airport, take
someone along.

If your friend has the interest and ability to become a pilot, of course
take him flying! But don't BORE HIM!!! Show him what you enjoy about
flying but leave him with a hunger for more! Make your flight short, don't
load him up on a 5 hour cross country when it's 95 degrees with light
turbulence and insist to him that flying is wonderful. He won't think so.
Leave him excited, happy, and hungry for more. Offer him back and the next
time he brings up the subject of aviation, immediately get him back to the
airport or take him flying with you. Once he's hooked, offer him your
assistance through the maze of ground instruction, testing, fight
instruction and flight tests. Make sure he knows that any person of average
intelligence and ability can become a private pilot. Make sure he knows
that it's a process made up of small but frequent steps leading to major
events. Offer individual and confidential help away from the airport
experts so your friend doesn't feel inadequate, unaccomplished, or stupid.
Offer him encouragement ALWAYS! Give him an audience to expound upon HIS
hanger flying stories. Cultivate both his ego and his yearning for
knowledge. Offer to loan him examples from your aviation library.

Include his/her spouse or significant other. Make sure this person knows
the ups and the downs and that their support and encouragement are CRUCIAL.
Make sure they both know the real world costs and timelines. Don't set
either of them up with unrealistic ideas only to have reality dash their
dreams. The significant other must support and encourage every effort and
accomplishment without a glairing eye of guilt for the financial costs.
Nothing can dash a student that is finally "getting it" faster than the
guilt placed upon him/her by a loved one saying "you've spent $$$ for what?"
With support from his/her friends and loved ones knowledge + hard work +
budget + realistic goals WILL = Success

Borrow Greg Brown's book "The Saavy Flight Instructor". It's not about how
to become or be a flight instructor, it's about how to survive AS a flight
instructor.... and behind most of his methods is an underlying theme.... how
do we bring more people into aviation?

Later, I've got to take someone to the airport.

Jim

Old July 31st 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:51:57 -0400, Kyle Boatright wrote:

The bottom line is that FBO's and Flight schools need to work very hard
create new private pilots to trickle up to Commercial, IFR, Multi, etc.
ratings (and aircraft) or we'll wake up one day and aviation as we know
it
will be gone.

The problem with this reasoning is that the FBO has little control over
its stream of new/upgrading pilots. The case cited of an FBO that
[effectively] ditched flight training, for example, may be more savvy than
you think. If I were an FBO owner, I'd know what percentage of renters
were from my flight school, what percentage of graduates I lost, and what
percentage of renters were trained elsewhere.

good stuff snipped

I guess my point is that there are a lot of variables, and - from outside
- its hard to judge exactly how factors balance out. But [cheap] flight
training may not be the income generator we'd all hope.

- Andrew

As you say, ditching flight training may be savvy, but only for a short
period. If a particular FBO's business horizon is 5 years, then (maybe)
doing away with flight training makes sense. On the other hand, if they plan
on being in business for the long haul, they are gonna have a tough time.
They won't have students, renters, or even owners to deal with once the
supply of pilots ages out.

Again, it is a short vs long term thing. Too many FBO's are taking a short
term approach and effectively killing the industry's future.

KB

Old August 1st 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Road Dog

Jeff wrote:

Thoughts?

What I try to do is give guys my age (still less than 40)
flights just so they can see what its like, how fast you
can get from point A to B, the great view, etc. I'm blatantly
trying to create an addiction (in some of them anyways)
including "the first one is always free."

Another thing one might do to lower cost that I've considered
but not done yet, is take the airplane that you've already
purchased, found a home for, etc. and make a flying club
out of it. Your investment/debt/outlay will go down, and others
who otherwise wouldn't have made that investment will get into
flying.