A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Discus B canopy hinge repair

Old June 6th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Discus B canopy hinge repair

Has anyone out there had any experience with a loose aft canopy hinge on a Discus B? I am working with the owner of his Discus and the aft hinge is noticeably loose as it sits in the frame.

Details from Schempp Hirth are a bit vague with respect to the replacement hinge which the owner has purchased.

Specifically, I require details on how to excavate the cavity around the hinge and then what weight of carbon fibre cloth is used to overlay the hinge on the outside of the frame.

cheers
mike
Old June 8th 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Discus B canopy hinge repair

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 10:42:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone out there had any experience with a loose aft canopy hinge on a Discus B? I am working with the owner of his Discus and the aft hinge is noticeably loose as it sits in the frame.

Details from Schempp Hirth are a bit vague with respect to the replacement hinge which the owner has purchased.

Specifically, I require details on how to excavate the cavity around the hinge and then what weight of carbon fibre cloth is used to overlay the hinge on the outside of the frame.

cheers
mike

If the looseness is due to a broken hinge, then you are replacing the hinge..
If it is broken loose from the frame, it may well be a matter of working resin into the joint, with the last mixed with thickener, and then placing back on the fuselage to hold the correct position until it is cured. Make sure the fuselage is well waxed and masked outside the work area.
UH