Discus B canopy hinge repair

Old June 6th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Discus B canopy hinge repair

Has anyone out there had any experience with a loose aft canopy hinge on a Discus B? I am working with the owner of his Discus and the aft hinge is noticeably loose as it sits in the frame.

Details from Schempp Hirth are a bit vague with respect to the replacement hinge which the owner has purchased.

Specifically, I require details on how to excavate the cavity around the hinge and then what weight of carbon fibre cloth is used to overlay the hinge on the outside of the frame.

cheers
mike
Old June 8th 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 10:42:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone out there had any experience with a loose aft canopy hinge on a Discus B? I am working with the owner of his Discus and the aft hinge is noticeably loose as it sits in the frame.

Details from Schempp Hirth are a bit vague with respect to the replacement hinge which the owner has purchased.

Specifically, I require details on how to excavate the cavity around the hinge and then what weight of carbon fibre cloth is used to overlay the hinge on the outside of the frame.

cheers
mike

If the looseness is due to a broken hinge, then you are replacing the hinge..
If it is broken loose from the frame, it may well be a matter of working resin into the joint, with the last mixed with thickener, and then placing back on the fuselage to hold the correct position until it is cured. Make sure the fuselage is well waxed and masked outside the work area.
UH