Prelim NTSB report on the Piper Navajo crash landing

Old July 16th 05, 12:13 PM
gregg

Default Prelim NTSB report on the Piper Navajo crash landing

Below is the preliminary NTSB report. What I find interesting is that
there's no mention of the tower informing the Navajo pilot he has a
problem. I was doing a T&G right behind the Navajo as he climbed out - I
saw smoke from the RIGHT engine and that's what the tower told him as well.

Question: are tower communications recorded?

Also, I have a photo showing the Navajo on the ground where it ended up (I
was circling the airport during the event). Where can I display that so
that anyone here, who wants to view it, may do so? Given the final resting
spot, on wonders what trees were hit.

Also the report referrs to that final spot as "a nearby field"...interesting
phrasing since it's within the bounds of the airport. Not inaccurate..just
interesting.

thanks

NTSB Identification: NYC05LA103
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, June 20, 2005 in Beverly, MA
Aircraft: Piper PA-31-350, registration: N615SN
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors.
Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been
completed.

On June 20, 2005, about 1205 eastern daylight time, a Piper PA-31-350,
N615SN, was substantially damaged during a forced landing after
experiencing a partial loss of engine power to one engine during initial
climbout from the Beverly Municipal Airport (BVY), Beverly, Massachusetts.
The certificated private pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological
conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local
maintenance test flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration inspector, the pilot was test
flying the airplane after recent maintenance was performed on the engines.
During initial climbout from the airport, the left engine began to surge,
and the pilot elected to return to the airport. As the airplane neared the
runway, the pilot observed that he did not have enough airspeed and
altitude to make the runway, and performed a forced landing to a nearby
field. During the forced landing the airplane struck trees, substantially
damaging the airplane wings.

The engine was retained for further examination.
--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old July 16th 05, 01:18 PM
Dan Luke

"gregg" wrote:
Also, I have a photo showing the Navajo on the ground where it ended
up (I
was circling the airport during the event). Where can I display that
so
that anyone here, who wants to view it, may do so?

alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Old July 16th 05, 01:55 PM
gregg

Posted a photo on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

The active runway was 16 - off the left edge of the photo and roughly
parallel to the edge. 16 has you taking off from the lower left of the
photo towards the upper right.

The Navajo lifted off, turned left and passed me by as I did my T&G. I
don't think it was lined up with 16/34 as I had just lifted off when he
passed to my left.

When he passed I noticed he was between me and lower than the trees
bordering the airport. Not sure how he ended up where he did. I've tried to
figure out from flattened grass where he slid but I can't make anything
out.

Old July 16th 05, 04:39 PM
George Patterson

gregg wrote:

[...]

Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old July 16th 05, 04:40 PM
George Patterson

gregg wrote:

Question: are tower communications recorded?

They are at most (perhaps all) controlled fields.