Which oil do you use or refuse to use?

Old September 30th 04, 04:25 PM
Javier Henderson

"Paul Sengupta" writes:

Aeroshell 15W50
Lycoming IO-360-A1B6.

I wouldn't refuse to use any oil if someone were to buy it for me.

I prefer the Aeroshell 15W50 as it has the anti-corrosion stuff for
when my plane sits idle for a couple of weeks.

It's not an anticorrosion additive. It's antiscuffing.

-jav
Old September 30th 04, 04:26 PM
Javier Henderson

"Kai Glaesner" writes:

In Summer Aeroshell 100 and a strange (and expensive) additive supplied by
Lyc. in a plastic bottle...

Aeroshell 100W+ (note, "plus") has the additive added at the factory.

-jav
Old September 30th 04, 04:26 PM
Javier Henderson

"Jim Burns" writes:

Wonder which oils the group members are currently useing in what engines and
airplanes.

C182
TCM O-470-R
Aeroshell 100W+

-jav
Old September 30th 04, 05:16 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
"Paul Sengupta" writes:

Aeroshell 15W50
Lycoming IO-360-A1B6.

I wouldn't refuse to use any oil if someone were to buy it for me.

I prefer the Aeroshell 15W50 as it has the anti-corrosion stuff for
when my plane sits idle for a couple of weeks.

It's not an anticorrosion additive. It's antiscuffing.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182909-1.html
(from 1995)
"About a year ago, Shell started adding a new corrosion inhibitor to the
additive package of Aeroshell 15W-50"

http://www.avbuyer.com/Editorial/GAB...am%20Dec03.asp
"The best way to avoid this is to fly frequently - the engine manufacturers
recommend a minimum of once every two weeks. If this is not possible, then
consider using an oil containing a corrosion inhibitor, such as AeroShell
Oil W 15W-50 or AeroShell Oil W 100 Plus."

Paul

Old September 30th 04, 05:18 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Paul Sengupta" writes:

Aeroshell 15W50
Lycoming IO-360-A1B6.

I wouldn't refuse to use any oil if someone were to buy it for me.

I prefer the Aeroshell 15W50 as it has the anti-corrosion stuff for
when my plane sits idle for a couple of weeks.

It's not an anticorrosion additive. It's antiscuffing.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182909-1.html
(from 1995)
"About a year ago, Shell started adding a new corrosion inhibitor to the
additive package of Aeroshell 15W-50"

http://www.avbuyer.com/Editorial/GAB...am%20Dec03.asp
"The best way to avoid this is to fly frequently - the engine

manufacturers
recommend a minimum of once every two weeks. If this is not possible, then
consider using an oil containing a corrosion inhibitor, such as AeroShell
Oil W 15W-50 or AeroShell Oil W 100 Plus."

Of course, the anti-scuffing properties after having not flown for a week or
two also don't hurt!

Paul

Old September 30th 04, 10:41 PM
dave

exxon elite 20-50
dave
68 7ECA

Jim Burns wrote:

Wonder which oils the group members are currently useing in what engines and
airplanes.
Thanks
Jim

---

Old September 30th 04, 11:27 PM
Newps

Jim Burns wrote:

Wonder which oils the group members are currently useing in what
engines and
airplanes.

Whatever's cheapest, currently Phillips XC 20W-50 in my 182.

Old October 1st 04, 12:35 AM
Jay Honeck

What oil do I refuse to use? Umm, how 'bout those 12 quarts off of
Jay's hangar floor.

Hey, my hangar floor is very, very clean!

Slippery, too.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 1st 04, 12:37 AM
Jay Honeck

Aeroshell 15W-50
Lycoming O-540-B4B5
PA28-235
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 1st 04, 01:36 AM

AeroShell 15W50 in a Lyc 0320-E2D in a 172M. Religously preheat below
35 deg F, change at least every 30 hrs including filter, carefully
keep cooling baffles in place and keep clean cyl fins, burn mostly
autofuel.

Now at only 1700 hrs TTSNew, never open except for oil pump AD, and 30
hrs /quart (i. e. I never add any between changes). Oil analysis keep
coming back w no problems.

The dilemma - when should I tear it down on general principle?