Bad cylinder

Old September 9th 05, 04:52 AM
Mike Noel

You guys are braver than I am. No way I would stand just behind that
spinning prop spraying anything at the intake manifold.

"David Lesher" wrote in message
"Denny" writes:

Once that is accomplished we will pull the bottom cowl (major job
involving disassembly of the air intake system, which is why it waits
on the flight test) then ground run it using a can of carb cleaner as a
probe to see if we can find a leak...

On cars, a propane torch tank and head, sometimes with an added
hose, are used to find vacuum leaks... and it makes no mess.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old September 9th 05, 01:16 PM
Denny

Good advice Orville, and the group should take notice...
In this case the cigarettes are clean, plug wires are the same age as
the plugs, just over 400 hours... I did say 500 hours in a previous
post but a look at the logs revised that (memory must be going - umm
what were we talking about?)...
After Steve the mechanic and I went over the engine I ran it at 75%
power and full rich on the way home... It ran like a little bear...
Dunno, it's got me puzzled...
I'm a bit of a fanatic on maintenance, which has me really PO'd at
this problem, *^&%#@$! mutter, mumble.... And the jury is still out
on the oil burn... I may yet be overhauling an engine (ugh)
Anyway, 16 Autolite Annie's are on the Brown Truck as I write this... I
did consider going to Platinum at twice the price, but decided that
changing out the plugs twice as often was the better choice... The
existing plugs will be shipped for reconditioning and stashed on the
shelf...
As long as I am pontificating on maintenance, a new battery is also on
the Brown truck... The one in the plane has two Michigan winters on
it.. It goes up on the bench on a trickle charger as a back up... I
do not have starting problems, even at zero degrees F...
And y'all are using AVBLEND every other oil change, right? Gotta keep
them Lycoming valves from sticking...
And, this next annual, the mags go out for rebuild (over 500 hours on
them this go around)... I do not have starting problems...

denny

Old September 9th 05, 02:43 PM
Montblack

"Denny"
And y'all are using AVBLEND every other oil change, right? Gotta keep
them Lycoming valves from sticking...

Would half as much AVBLEND every oil change be akin to changing plugs twice
as often?

Old September 9th 05, 04:34 PM
Denny

I suspect it would...
The annoying part was I quit using AVBLEND because I was using 15W50
which is spoz to have good stuff in it... Stuck a valve and went back
to AVBLEND...

On the other comment on propane, propane works but I can't see the
propane being sucked in, I can with carb cleaner...

On the prop - ya gotta chock the bird and be careful...

Old September 9th 05, 05:04 PM
Jay Masino

Denny wrote:
I suspect it would...
The annoying part was I quit using AVBLEND because I was using 15W50
which is spoz to have good stuff in it... Stuck a valve and went back
to AVBLEND...

Aeroshell 15w50 has the Lycoming anti-scuffing agent in it, not Avblend.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old September 9th 05, 06:38 PM
Montblack

("Jay Masino" wrote)
Aeroshell 15w50 has the Lycoming anti-scuffing agent in it, not Avblend.

http://www.avblend.com/faq/faq.html

How does the Lycoming anti-scuffing agent work vs. Avblend?

What is a "National Aviation Parts Association" store equivilant for both?

Montblack
Old September 10th 05, 02:13 AM
David Lesher

"Denny" writes:

On the other comment on propane, propane works but I can't see the
propane being sucked in, I can with carb cleaner...

Ahh, it's not seeing....it's listening at idle. When you find a
vacuum leak with the propane probe, the engine suddenly runs
smoothly...

On the prop - ya gotta chock the bird and be careful...

I do admit that blasted cooling fan out front make life a lot harder..

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 12th 05, 06:04 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
shelf...
As long as I am pontificating on maintenance, a new battery is also on
the Brown truck... The one in the plane has two Michigan winters on
it.. It goes up on the bench on a trickle charger as a back up...
denny

The brown truck brought my new battery on Wednesday to replace the three
year old one. One can buy a lot of $130 batteries for the cost of having a
singel one flown into the Idaho backcountry!

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier