Fiber optic guide for nav lights

Old December 10th 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fiber optic guide for nav lights

snip Flattening the drill bit
or getting one specifically for plastic definitly will make the job alot
easier.Good Luck

The easiest way is to fist drill a 1/2 inch deep hole into concrete to dull
the edge of the bit. Local plastic place does this with cheap shop Chinese
drill bits instead of buying flash expensive drill bits!

Hope this helps,
Pete

Old December 10th 05, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote

Chuck (I have 3 Dermal tools)

So, you must have a lot of derma missing, with all of those tools, huh?

Nah, never mind, I've seen pictures of you! g
--
Jim in NC

Old December 10th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Bushy Pete wrote:
snip Flattening the drill bit
or getting one specifically for plastic definitly will make the job alot
easier.Good Luck

The easiest way is to fist drill a 1/2 inch deep hole into concrete to dull
the edge of the bit. Local plastic place does this with cheap shop Chinese
drill bits instead of buying flash expensive drill bits!

Hope this helps,
Pete

The easiest way is to just use the bits you already have in your toolbox
and modify your technique to suit the material.

I've seen those expensive bits. Never bought one. And I've never
cracked plexiglass drilling a hole since I've learned to do it right. I
just crank the drill as fast as it will go and let it burn it's way
through, clean the cruft, let it cool and burn through it again. The
sides come out rubbed smooth, and the edges just need a little chamfering.

You're locally heating the plastic with this method, so the hole won't
be the exact size of the bit, but is there such a thing as a precision
hole in plexiglass? No! All the holes should be oversized to leave room
for thermal expansion (as everyone knows) and for the superbright LEDs
you want it slightly undersized so that the LED is a push fit.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old December 11th 05, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Ernest Christley" wrote

The easiest way is to just use the bits you already have in your toolbox
and modify your technique to suit the material.

I disagree. The right way to drill _any_ material, is to us the correct
bit for the job.

You wouldn't use a concrete bit for drilling steel. You wouldn't use a wood
bit for drilling concrete.

What you are proposing does work, most of the time. It is _not_ the correct
way, though, no matter what you say.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 11th 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:
"Ernest Christley" wrote

The easiest way is to just use the bits you already have in your toolbox
and modify your technique to suit the material.

I disagree. The right way to drill _any_ material, is to us the correct
bit for the job.

You wouldn't use a concrete bit for drilling steel. You wouldn't use a wood
bit for drilling concrete.

What you are proposing does work, most of the time. It is _not_ the correct
way, though, no matter what you say.

He didn't say it was the best way; he said it was the easiest way.

Matt
Old December 11th 05, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message

I disagree. The right way to drill _any_ material, is to us the correct
bit for the job.

I find the Unibit does a great job on acrylic.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...058807-6775065

Rich S.

Old December 11th 05, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Rich S." wrote

I find the Unibit does a great job on acrylic.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...058807-6775065

Hmm, I have never thought of, or tried that. I would think it would, since
it has a small positive rake, and does not self feed, and would take off
only a small amount per step. I'll definitely have to try that out.

I can rarely find my modified bits when I need them, and have to create a
new one. I paint them red, so they stand out in the "bit box" but that does
not always guarantee that I will find one...

Thanks!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 11th 05, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message

Hmm, I have never thought of, or tried that. I would think it would,
since
it has a small positive rake, and does not self feed, and would take off
only a small amount per step. I'll definitely have to try that out.

The other plus is that it can chamfer the edge when the desired diameter is
attained.

Rich S.

Old December 12th 05, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Aircraft Spruce has the fiberoptic dash lights, by fiberlite.... you may not
like the price, but they got em. and a lot more.
david
www.aircraftspruce.com

"Rich S." wrote in message
. ..

Old December 12th 05, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"David Koehler" wrote in message
Aircraft Spruce has the fiberoptic dash lights, by fiberlite.... you may

not
like the price, but they got em. and a lot more.
david
www.aircraftspruce.com

Yes, and while they are neat, we are talking nav. lights. The light levels
needed to be displayed are many times greater.
--
Jim in NC