Cancelling IFR in Bravo airspace

Old August 7th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Cancelling IFR in Bravo airspace

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 08/07/08 06:21, Sam Spade wrote:

Terence Wilson wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:15:04 -0700, Sam Spade
wrote:

You have no idea of what ATC needs to do with you if you cancel on an
IFR climnb to on-top. So, keep it simple, and stay with the IFR
clearance until either above or otherwise clear of the Class B airspace.

On the last two occasions ATC has queried whether I was on top yet and
then asked what my intention was, I cancelled, and continued on my
merry way inside Bravo.

So obviously they were ok with it, but my original question stands, am
I cleared into the class B after I canel in class B?

If my clearance limit for the IFR climb was inside Class B I would
reply, "I request a clearance to outside Class B before I cancel."

It's your butt that's on the line, not their's.

Or, just say "negative" when they ask if you're on top, thus forcing a
clearance out of the quagmire.

I'm confused about why you believe you have to lie about being on top.
When asked for your intentions, why not just say "Remain IFR until
clear of Class Bravo"?

That would work, too.

In any case, my interptretation of when I am legally on top may differ
from your's. The typical kee-jerk response is to "please the
controller" and report on top when just breaking out in the clear.
Old August 7th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Sam Spade wrote:

In any case, my interptretation of when I am legally on top may differ
from your's. The typical kee-jerk response is to "please the
controller" and report on top when just breaking out in the clear.

You're on top when you're in conditions suitable for VFR flight. You're not
on top when you break out into the sunshine, you have to be at least 1000
feet above that cloud.

Old August 7th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 08/07/08 09:29, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

In any case, my interptretation of when I am legally on top may differ
from your's. The typical kee-jerk response is to "please the
controller" and report on top when just breaking out in the clear.

You're on top when you're in conditions suitable for VFR flight. You're not
on top when you break out into the sunshine, you have to be at least 1000
feet above that cloud.

1000' above the cloud? As I understand the cloud clearance requirements,
in Class B airspace you just need to be clear of clouds (yes, this topic
is about flight within Class B airspace).

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old August 7th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

1000' above the cloud? As I understand the cloud clearance
requirements, in Class B airspace you just need to be clear of clouds
(yes, this topic is about flight within Class B airspace).

Perhaps I lost track. Did he not say his clearance limit was outside Class
B airspace?

Old August 7th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 08/07/08 11:03, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

1000' above the cloud? As I understand the cloud clearance
requirements, in Class B airspace you just need to be clear of clouds
(yes, this topic is about flight within Class B airspace).

Perhaps I lost track. Did he not say his clearance limit was outside Class
B airspace?

How is that relevant? His question was about canceling IFR while still
inside the Class B airspace, once he reaches VFR On Top conditions.

Old August 7th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

How is that relevant? His question was about canceling IFR while still
inside the Class B airspace, once he reaches VFR On Top conditions.

The relevance is if he maintains the IFR clearance until he's outside the
Class B airspace he doesn't cancel inside Class B airspace.

Old August 7th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 08/07/08 12:18, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

How is that relevant? His question was about canceling IFR while still
inside the Class B airspace, once he reaches VFR On Top conditions.

The relevance is if he maintains the IFR clearance until he's outside the
Class B airspace he doesn't cancel inside Class B airspace.

The OP was asking specifically about the ramification of canceling his
IFR clearance while still inside the Class B.

Old August 7th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

The OP was asking specifically about the ramification of canceling his
IFR clearance while still inside the Class B.

Yes, and I asked him if his clearance limit was inside or outside of Class B
airspace and he said it was outside.

Old August 7th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 08/07/08 13:23, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

The OP was asking specifically about the ramification of canceling his
IFR clearance while still inside the Class B.

Yes, and I asked him if his clearance limit was inside or outside of Class B
airspace and he said it was outside.

My gosh, Steven. The OP said he was canceling while inside Class B and
you said he needed to be 1000' above the clouds. Now because you have
been caught making a mistake, you must try to twist the discussion around
to obfuscate the fact.

I'm out of this one. Good luck.

Old August 7th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

My gosh, Steven. The OP said he was canceling while inside Class B and
you said he needed to be 1000' above the clouds. Now because you have
been caught making a mistake, you must try to twist the discussion
around to obfuscate the fact.

I believe I said I might have lost track of the thread. Obviously you did
too.

I'm out of this one.

No kidding.

Any Recommendations for Noise Cancelling Headsets? Google Madness Piloting 10 April 1st 07 06:39 AM
Any Recommendations for Noise Cancelling Headsets? Google Madness Piloting 5 March 30th 07 01:51 PM
Bravo Mal[_3_] Aviation Photos 0 March 15th 07 02:47 AM
Wichita Airspace Question and overlapping airspace Owen[_4_] Piloting 1 February 14th 07 09:35 PM
Lightspeed Headset mic noise cancelling performance CharlieBuda Piloting 2 December 22nd 06 07:54 PM