Which oil do you use or refuse to use?

Old October 2nd 04, 02:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Mike Rapoport wrote:

wrote in message
e.com...

AeroShell 15W50 in a Lyc 0320-E2D in a 172M. Religously preheat below
35 deg F, change at least every 30 hrs including filter, carefully
keep cooling baffles in place and keep clean cyl fins, burn mostly
autofuel.

Now at only 1700 hrs TTSNew, never open except for oil pump AD, and 30
hrs /quart (i. e. I never add any between changes). Oil analysis keep
coming back w no problems.

The dilemma - when should I tear it down on general principle?

If it is not making metal then it is not wearing out. Engines can last a
long time under the right circumstances. I remember hearing of a Chevy
V8 powering a natural gas compressor in Texas that ran without stopping
for over 30 years at high power without an oil change.

Well, I'll bet it had a continual oil change (make-up oil HAD to be added)
and probably had a very high efficiency oil filter.

Matt

Yes, oil was added but it have a regular 1960's oil filter.

Mike
MU-2

I don't know what a typical oil consumption is for a Chevy V-8 of that
vintage, but I'll guess it got a complete oil change every 100-200 hours
then.

Did they ever change the oil filter? I don't see how they could if it
had the standard auto spin-on. If they didn't, then this filter was in
bypass mode after probably 500-1000 hours. Most ground power units like
this have an external filter with a manual bypass so the filter can be
changed while the engine is running.

Matt

Old October 2nd 04, 03:28 PM
DBlumel

What's the price like?

I'm paying $32/case for 100W+ at a local oil jobber (Golden Gate Petroleum).

I paid $21.00/case for W100 Aeroshell and $37.00/case for 15W-50. These prices
do not include state sales tax.
Old October 3rd 04, 05:21 AM
David Johnson

If it is not making metal then it is not wearing out. Engines can last a
long time under the right circumstances. I remember hearing of a Chevy
V8 powering a natural gas compressor in Texas that ran without stopping
for over 30 years at high power without an oil change.

Well, I'll bet it had a continual oil change (make-up oil HAD to be added)
and probably had a very high efficiency oil filter.

Matt

Yes, oil was added but it have a regular 1960's oil filter.

Mike
MU-2

The fuel the engine is burning has a lot to do with it. Natural gas
and propane burn clean. I'm hardly an expert on such matters, but
have had some experience with emergency generators that run on
propane. The oil in the crankcase continues to look just like it
did when poured out of the can.

David Johnson
Old October 3rd 04, 02:25 PM
dave

Mike,
I hope you're joking. Non-stop? 8760 hours / year * 30 years = 262,800
hours at high output. Why aren't we all flying behind chevy v8's? If
the engine lasted that long, which it wouldn't without being rebuilt
several times, how did they change the points, plugs, condensor, coil,
etc. with the engine running?
Dave
68 7ECA

Old October 3rd 04, 02:37 PM
Maik

Lyc. IO-360
Exxon Elite 20W50

Jim Burns wrote:
Wonder which oils the group members are currently useing in what engines and
airplanes.
Thanks
Jim

---

Old October 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
Dan Luke

Aeroshell W100+ in Lycoming O-360.

Old October 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Matt Whiting

dave wrote:

Mike,
I hope you're joking. Non-stop? 8760 hours / year * 30 years = 262,800
hours at high output. Why aren't we all flying behind chevy v8's? If
the engine lasted that long, which it wouldn't without being rebuilt
several times, how did they change the points, plugs, condensor, coil,
etc. with the engine running?

Yes, I think this falls in the urban legend category, as do many tall
takes from TX.

Matt

Old October 3rd 04, 08:21 PM
G.R. Patterson III

dave wrote:

I hope you're joking. Non-stop? 8760 hours / year * 30 years = 262,800
hours at high output. Why aren't we all flying behind chevy v8's?

'Cause a natural gas fuel tank weighs too much.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 4th 04, 05:06 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Javier Henderson wrote:
(DBlumel) writes:

What's the price like?

I'm paying $32/case for 100W+ at a local oil jobber (Golden Gate Petroleum).

I paid $21.00/case for W100 Aeroshell and $37.00/case for 15W-50. These prices
do not include state sales tax.

How much is 100W+ (note, Plus)? And where is this?

Around here, where I buy from a local Shell distributor, the price for
W100+ falls right between W100 and 15W-50, and the prices are similar
to those.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/