An Unexpected Finding Among Commercial Pilots

Old December 1st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default An Unexpected Finding Among Commercial Pilots

nobody writes:

I disagree. I know hundreds of pilots, but not a single one who will fly
after drinking.

How many of them have been cited for driving while intoxicated?

I know plenty if people who will drive after drinking. I
mistrust your sample.

How many pilots do you know who will drive after drinking but won't fly?

In general, if a drinker manages to rationalize driving under the influence,
it's not really any different to rationalize flying under the influence. Even
airline pilots are caught at this.
Old December 1st 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nobody[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
nobody writes:

I disagree. I know hundreds of pilots, but not a single one who will fly
after drinking.

How many of them have been cited for driving while intoxicated?

None.

How many pilots do you know who will drive after drinking but won't fly?

I can think of at least ten

In general, if a drinker manages to rationalize driving under the
influence,
it's not really any different to rationalize flying under the influence.

As I said, I mistrust your sample. I socialize with pilots and non-pilots.
How many pilots do you socialize with?

Old December 1st 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Mazor[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
nobody writes:

I disagree. I know hundreds of pilots, but not a single
one who will fly
after drinking.

How many of them have been cited for driving while
intoxicated?

I know plenty if people who will drive after drinking. I
mistrust your sample.

How many pilots do you know who will drive after drinking
but won't fly?

Quite a few.

In general, if a drinker manages to rationalize driving
under the influence,
it's not really any different to rationalize flying under
the influence.

Wrong. Loss of judgment due to addiction is incremental,
not a binary state.

Even airline pilots are caught at this.

Almost always only after they have reached an advanced stage
in their addiction.

Old December 1st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

nobody writes:

None.

Then your pilot friends are not representative of the pilots under discussion.
The pilots being discussed are those who drink and drive. Obviously, if
someone is careful not to drink and drive, he'll probably be at least as
careful not to drink and fly.

I can think of at least ten

How many of them are still alive?

As I said, I mistrust your sample. I socialize with pilots and non-pilots.
How many pilots do you socialize with?

I don't socialize at all. I rely on studies with sound methodologies rather
than anecdotal personal experience.
Old December 1st 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Mazor writes:

Almost always only after they have reached an advanced stage
in their addiction.

Drinking and driving alone doesn't count as an advanced stage of addiction?
Old December 1st 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:

I don't socialize at all.

Is there anyone surprised by this?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old December 2nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

nobody writes:

None.

Then your pilot friends are not representative of the pilots under
discussion. The pilots being discussed are those who drink and drive.
Obviously, if someone is careful not to drink and drive, he'll
probably be at least as careful not to drink and fly.

I can think of at least ten

How many of them are still alive?

As I said, I mistrust your sample. I socialize with pilots and
non-pilots. How many pilots do you socialize with?

I don't socialize at all.

Surprise surprise.

Bertie

Old December 2nd 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 20:18:55 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Big John writes:

You must have some experience with a drinking problem?

I don't use recreational or illicit drugs at all.

I can rinse my mouth out with a mouth wash that contains alcohol and I
then cannot pass the 'breathalizer' test.

So? You won't fail a blood test.

If I don't fly (legally) drunk (test does not evaluate your ability to
make correct decisions and act accordingly) what is it of interest
what I do on my time off if I meet the 12 hours from bottle to stick.

Twelve hours should be sufficient for most purposes. It would be better not
to drink at all, but I realize how addicted some people are to the drug.

You need personal experience (with the use of alcohol which I have) to
comment on the stupid original posting.

Drinkers often try to rationalize their reckless use of the drug, a behavior
that is common to substance abusers in general.

Again nothing but idiot remarks. Please get with it. Since you
apparently don't fly yiu don't know the rules thuddddddddddddddddddd.

You keep talking about drugs. What drugs are you talking about?

Big John