LX Mini Map

Old October 31st 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default LX Mini Map

On Oct 31, 3:52*pm, "Tim Mara" wrote:
I have the new LX16D Vario here, this is the Vario used with the Mini Map is
much like the LX16 vario..in that it is a complete variometer with pneumatic
input for TE (pressure transducer type TE compensation) it is not a supplied
with any Pitot input so speed calcualtaions woul;d all be based on GPS
position through the LX Mini Map.
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

Tim - But as stated earlier, Richard was using the new USB-D vario/
data box with the MiniMap. And that *does* have pitot input - where
those blank plugs are on the LX16D back panel.

Darryl

Old November 1st 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 31, 3:52*pm, "Tim Mara" wrote:
I have the new LX16D Vario here, this is the Vario used with the Mini Map is
much like the LX16 vario..in that it is a complete variometer with pneumatic
input for TE (pressure transducer type TE compensation) it is not a supplied
with any Pitot input so speed calcualtaions woul;d all be based on GPS
position through the LX Mini Map.
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message

On Oct 31, 9:34 am, Greg Arnold wrote:

On 10/31/2010 9:03 AM, Greg Arnold wrote:

On 10/30/2010 10:33 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

At the same event we walked out side with the MiniMap and in slightly
overcast but pretty bright sunlight I thought the display was very
readable with both background terrain on and off. Clearly much better
outside than the Oudie (as expected). This is the display I now want
given that it is the largest I could see cramming into a tight panel
and runs SeeYou. And I liked the ability to drive the miniMap/Vario
combination with a PowerFLARM and have the air-data added to the NMEA
stream by the vario.

Are you saying that you can hook up the pitot and static lines to the
back of the vario? If so, this product is very promising.

The vario is described he

http://wingsandwheels.com/pdf/USB-D.pdf

but it doesn't say whether this is just a basic vario, or also one that
takes pitot and static and calculates airspeed. However, judging from
the depth of the unit, it must be more than just a basic vario.

Greg

Richard was showing that The USB-D vario connected to the Minimap (you
should have driven up for the PASCO meeting). And I asked that
question (twice I think :-)) and he said the USB-D box passes *TAS
data to SeeYou. The data sheets don't show all the details, I wish
they would show the rear panels more. I've also not understood this
from what I'd read online so far. And again if I understand it right
this really make this look like a nice "air data computer" box --
something LX might want to explain more clearly (they would then
appear a much more serious option to the C302).

The USB-D mechanical needle and LCD display is beautiful and easy to
configure what is shown etc. from SeeYou Mobile (and other vario
settings).

USB-D is not a great name choice lost somewhere between USB and ADS-B.

Darryl

database 5576 (20101029) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5576 (20101029) __________

http://www.eset.com- Hide quoted text -

Tim & Greg

The LX1606 uses the new LX Vario USB-D in addition to a control box,
and connection board. The vario has 3 neumatic inputs TE, Pitot,
Static it will receiver a GPS stream and adds vario data and then to
a Display (I perfer a Craggy Aero Ultimate) running SeeYouMobile)

The LX USB-D vario is also used for the MiniMap with no control box,
the MiniMap controls the vario along with SeeYouMobile PNA Software, a
GPS is also needed for this configuration (Colibri, NANO, PowerFlarm,
Garmin etc)

Richard,
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 1st 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

The LX1606 uses the new LX Vario USB-D in addition to a control box,
and connection board. *The vario has 3 neumatic inputs *TE, Pitot,
Static it will receiver a GPS stream and adds vario data and then *to
a Display (I perfer a Craggy Aero Ultimate) *running SeeYouMobile)

The LX USB-D vario is also used for the MiniMap with no control box,
the MiniMap controls the vario along with SeeYouMobile PNA Software, a
GPS is also needed for this configuration (Colibri, NANO, PowerFlarm,
Garmin etc)

Richard,www.craggyaero.com

I've long been a fan of LX Navigation having flown almost exclusively
with LX products. However, I am a little confused as to their new
product line and the seeming split of the company and plan to get the
MiniMap KB/V for this season. Let me try to outline my understanding,
and please correct me if I am wrong.

First to the companies:

1) Erazem Polutnik of SeeYou works for (is an owner of) LXNav which
manufactures the LX8000, LX9000 and Nano. The LX8000 and LX9000 run
on a custom hardware with a linux operating system underneath - not
SeeYou Mobile
2) LX Navigation has developed the Mini Map that runs a version of
SeeYou Mobile - does the hardware include the software, or this is
separate?
3) The Vario units from both LXNav and LXNavigation appear to be
identical?

Question: Why the split between the two companies?

Secondly, product lines:

1) The new USB-D vario is used in the LX1606, LX8000, and LX9000?
2) The LX Mini Map KB/V comes with a vario. Is this the new USB-D
vario or just a simple vario similar to the LX16? The price point
would appear to be that you are getting a STF variometer.

Question: What would be the advantage of purchasing an LX9000 in the
$5500 range as opposed to an LX Mini Map + LX 1606 (USB-D) at $2500?
(The one I can think of is the LX9000 does have a compass module - but
perhaps LX Nav will come out with this soon?)

Thanks for your input!
Old November 1st 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 31, 7:12*pm, Kevin Christner wrote:
[...]

Kevin,

You are correct on the companies.

LX navigation - Crtomir

LXNAV - Erazem & Uros

They split for there own reason but have great cooperation.

The Products

The USB-D manufactured by LX navigation is used in the LX navigation
LX1606, MiniMap KB/V
The USB-D is also used by LXNAV in the LX8000, LX9000

The USB-D is a speed to fly vario with Pitot, static and TE inputs.

The LXMiniMap uses SeeYouMobile for PNA
The LX8000 and LX9000 program is similar in look to the SeeYouMobile
but is different and is customized for operating systems and the
particular instrument.

The advantage of the LX9000 is the large screen, FAI flight recorder,
etc.

Craggy Aero is a US authorized dealer and service center for both
companies.

Thanks for your interest,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 12th 10, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jax

Anyone knows if there is a way to connect audio to the USB-D vario ?

Thanks
Jax
Old December 12th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 12, 1:45*am, Jax wrote:
Anyone knows if there is a way to connect audio to the USB-D vario ?

Thanks
Jax

Is your question can you connect an external speaker to the vario? The
answer there should be yes. There is a speaker connection on the DB
connector on the vario. You can see pinout details for that connector
in the LX8000 and other product documentation.

Darryl
Old December 12th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Dec 12, 1:45*am, Jax wrote:
Anyone knows if there is a way to connect audio to the USB-D vario ?

Thanks
Jax

Jax,

The USB-D vario that comes with the MiniMap KB-V includes a speaker
and RCA plug as part of the wiring harness.

The LX 1606 USB-D vario also comes with a speaker.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lx_navigation1.htm

Thanks ,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 12th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

there is audio with the MiniMap KB/V
LX Navigation also now offers the system with interal audio speaker
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 5696 (20101212) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5696 (20101212) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 13th 10, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jax

"Jax" wrote in message

Anyone knows if there is a way to connect audio to the USB-D vario ?

Thanks
Jax

signature database 5696 (20101212) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5696 (20101212) __________

http://www.eset.com

Thanks, Excellent, The Minimap KB/V with a Nano seems like a good
solution and slightly more affordable that the competition.
Can't wait till we have reviews of people who used it in flight.
Old December 17th 10, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bastoune

A few additional questions on the LX Mini Map/1606. I understand that
the system can be controlled by the LX Remote Stick.

- Is the LX Remote Stick easy to use with SeeYou mobile?

- Can the vario be switched in and out of the STF mode from the LX
Remote Stick?

- Finally, I am not sure how the LX Remote Stick deals with the PTT
button. My understanding is that the LX remote stick communicates on a
485 data Bus. I am not sure that my Dittel radio takes that as an
input for the PPT button!

Thanks,

Bastoune

Mini-Imp Curt Fennell Home Built 7 November 10th 09 12:43 PM
Mini Lathes Kyle Boatright Home Built 11 August 18th 08 05:56 AM
Mini-500 Sim Jim Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 04 11:32 PM
Mini Imp Randall Robertson Simulators 3 December 17th 03 05:56 AM
Mini Imp Randall Robertson Home Built 0 November 25th 03 12:17 AM