OSH Disappointments

Old August 19th 04, 05:48 PM

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:49:53 -0400, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

Ron--were you coordinating volunteers in the Vintage area this
year?

Me coordinate? Now way...I just park airplanes.

I had my first three hours on a scooter in Vintage this year--just
following and trying to learn the ropes.

But my buddies were working Flightline Security, so I moved
over with them for the next two days. Got a lot more scooter
time on the more deluxe Hondas, but didn't get to do any
parking. I helped push a plane once or twice, but that was
it.

Marty

AirVenture is like any other airport in that there are plenty of
selfish and/or unthinking pilots around. Witness the potentially
deadly aircraft collision in the Vintage area this year. I'm sure
that Marty can confirm that the areas are just too large and the
numbers of people/airplanes too high for the relatively small number
of volunteers, be they flight line safety, security, aircraft parkers,
or anybody else, to completely prevent these types of incidents.
Shoot, I'd need many hands just to count the number of takeoffs and
landings that occurred off-runways during this year's fly-in, each one
putting volunteers at serious risk.

As in every other aspect of aviation, the final responsibility for
safe and courteous operation rests with the pilot in command.

As another example of widespread selfish behavior, look at the number
of pilots who ignore directions and park themselves so that they can
erect huge campsites before the next airplane comes along, even before
tying the airplane down (and don't get me started on how many try to
refuse to tie down). Aircraft camping has not closed in the past
several years at Oshkosh, but with the new hangar and ramp being built
on 20th St. next to the Weeks facility it's a solid bet that the
smaller North 40 will be filled at some point next year. In that
case, every oversized campsite means a camping family who gets turned
away completely. In almost every case, the attitude expressed is one
of "I got here early to have a big campsite, they should have been
here early too." I've never seen anybody who was convinced to pull
their tents closer. I also don't recall anyone who gave in on their
tiedown refusals without the threat of involving the sheriff's deputy
who patrols the area.

At an event the size of AirVenture, it takes only a small percentage
of "bad apples" to cause a great deal of grief.
Old August 19th 04, 09:06 PM
Jay Honeck

At an event the size of AirVenture, it takes only a small percentage
of "bad apples" to cause a great deal of grief.

I'm glad that, in 22 years, I've never seen the dark side of Airventure.

It's sad to hear about it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 21st 04, 04:25 PM

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:NK7Vc.1361$9d6.960@attbi_s54...
At an event the size of AirVenture, it takes only a small percentage
of "bad apples" to cause a great deal of grief.

I'm glad that, in 22 years, I've never seen the dark side of Airventure.

It's sad to hear about it.

I'm going to guess that you've never volunteered.

Fly-ins would be a lot more fun for all if attendees didn't consider
it so much a show put on for their entertainment, but rather
considered themselves active participants who share in the
responsibility for success of the event. I've worked at events from
AirVenture to tiny little fly-ins held at people's homes, and across
the board it's surprising how many people are quick to complain but
slow to lift a finger correct the problem (real or perceived). On the
other hand, it's pleasantly surprising how many people will do
anything asked of them, if only they're asked.

I recommend to anyone to drop by the Volunteer Center at AirVenture,
and just try working a couple of hours in any job that sounds
interesting; they have a list of areas needing help descriptions of
the types of things you'll do. Even try something that doesn't sound
interesting - stick it out for a few hours and see how it goes. I'm
willing to bet a fresh-fried donut from the Classic Cafe that you'll
meet some interesting new friends, have fun, and have a deeper
appreciation for everything around you.

Cheers,
Garrett
Old August 23rd 04, 08:05 AM
Roger Halstead

On 19 Aug 2004 09:48:58 -0700, wrote:
snip

As another example of widespread selfish behavior, look at the number
of pilots who ignore directions and park themselves so that they can
erect huge campsites before the next airplane comes along, even before

They must have changed things. Every time I've been there I've parked
the old Deb in the Antique/classic/contemporary camping area (to the
south of the out door theatre) and was always guided in. If you put
your tent too far out It would get moved as the wing tips were only a
few feet apart.

I was the computer chairman over in the Homebuilders area.

The last time I was there I had to borrow a steel bar from Cye to
crank my anchors in. I do have the screw in kind, but they are big
and really screw in. I had to borrow the bar again to unscrew them.
Course that was better than the one year it was so wet. I arrived a
week early in the rain, tied the plane down just to the West of the
Quanset hut, and two weeks later it took 4 guys the size of those big
weight lifters to move the Deb which had slowly sunk nearly to the
axels.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com