First jump!

Old August 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
tony roberts

Silly sod

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE

In article ,
Doug Vetter wrote:

Hi all,

Just wanted to relate another "aviation first" experience I had
recently. I've been flying airplanes for 15 years now, and have been
known to strap on a parachute now and again for some acro, but I
recently decided to do my first tandem freefall parachute jump out of a
perfectly good airplane. All I can say is "WOW!".

I'm no adrenalin junkie or extreme sports fanatic, but this has got to
be one of the most awesome aviation experiences a pilot or non-pilot can
have. It's definitely not for those with a fear of heights, but if you
can actually get yourself to step out onto that small platform over the
right main wheel and let go of everything (both the airplane and your
own natural and justifiable anxiety), you'll be rewarded with a
fantastic, if not life-altering, experience.

Now, as far as justification is concerned, I consider jumping a lot more
frivilous than my piloting persuits (after all, it's possible to make a
decent living out of flying airplanes -- not jumping out of them), but I
justifed the expense by realizing that the next time I strapped on that
chute and did some acro that I'd have the confidence to jump and at
least a fighting chance of landing safely if something went terribly wrong.

After learning firsthand what an 80K relative wind feels like, and how
difficult it is to get out of a small airplane under the best, most
controlled circumstances, I think everyone who does aerobatics on a
regular basis should do a freefall jump at least once and learn how to
"fly" a canopy -- emergency reserve or otherwise. It may just safe your
life.

Based on my experience, I can say that pilots will be particularly adept
at flying a parachute, since it's just a really big, soft wing flown
using Wright-era wing-warping techniques. If nothing else, a jump will
provide an extra use for your skills as a pilot. The only downside? My
perfect landing record is toast -- I've now logged one more takeoff than
I have recorded landings. :-)

If you want to read the full story of my jump, check it out on my site.
Click through:

Aviation-Articles-Miscellaneous-Skydive

As the jumpers say, "blue skies!",

-Doug

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Jump Start? Jeffrey Owning 3 February 7th 05 07:33 PM
Jump plane CG Roger Long Piloting 10 July 16th 04 06:19 AM
A Russian skydiver opens a backup canopy on his first jump HECTOP Piloting 7 June 10th 04 09:52 PM
PING: Gordon (was: The torpedo high jump...) Yeff Military Aviation 0 June 10th 04 08:41 AM
Looking to jump in feet first - but don't want to land on my arse BoscoBob Home Built 11 December 15th 03 12:13 AM