Garmin GNS 430

Old August 19th 04, 09:08 PM
paul k. sanchez

The club planes I fly all have 430s, and I like them. However, buying anew
I'd at least give some serious thought to the newer unit that Garmin bought
with UPS. The 430 is showing its age, and will require some hardware
swapping - from what I understand - to become WAAS compliant. More, Garmin
appears to be aiming more of their upgrades at the newer unit. Witness
that XM weather is available from Garmin for the new unit, but not for the
430.

- Andrew

Where did you read that?

http://www.aopa.org/members/oshkosh04.html

Garmin offers XM weather, debuts '480'
OSHKOSH, July 26 — Garmin announced several updates regarding its panel-mount
GPS navigators and multifunction displays, including the timeline for its GDL
69 datalink receivers. The GDL 69 delivers XM Radio satellite weather and
entertainment, which features weather products by WxWorx such as radar and
precipitation gradients, winds aloft, echo tops, and lightning imagery, as well
as textual weather and temporary flight restrictions (TFRs). The MX20 MFD will
also display information via the GDL 69. Garmin expects the supplemental type
certificate process to conclude by the end of August. Garmin also has received
an STC on the GDL 90, an automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B)
receiver, which will enable the MX20 with real-time traffic, weather, and "free
flight" capability once those services become available. Garmin also announced
that with the WAAS certification of the Garmin AT CNX80, also expected at the
end of August, they would change the product's name to the GNS 480. The company
will issue software upgrades to existing CNX80 owners free of charge, bringing
the navigator into WAAS compliance. The price on the GNS 480 remains $11,995.
Version 2.0.4 software for the GNS 530 and 430 will also be available soon.

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings
2011 south perimeter road, suite g
fort lauderdale, florida 33309-7135
305-389-1742 wireless
954-776-0527 fax
954-345-4276 home/fax

www.iflyqpa.com/cas
Old August 19th 04, 09:42 PM
Andrew Gideon

paul k. sanchez wrote:

The club planes I fly all have 430s, and I like them. However, buying
anew I'd at least give some serious thought to the newer unit that Garmin
bought
with UPS. The 430 is showing its age, and will require some hardware
swapping - from what I understand - to become WAAS compliant. More,
Garmin
appears to be aiming more of their upgrades at the newer unit. Witness
that XM weather is available from Garmin for the new unit, but not for the
430.

- Andrew

Where did you read that?

Which that, the WAAS or the XM download. I'll assume the latter given what
you've cited below, but please correct me if that's wrong.

I read about the XM download here in messages discussing events at Oshkosh.
However, nothing in the text you've cited disagrees with this. The GDL 69
integrates with the MX20 and CNX 80...but the 430? I don't see that
stated.

(Unless elsewhere it is stated that the 2.0.4 software for the 430/530 adds
that capability).

- Andrew

Old August 19th 04, 11:11 PM
paul k. sanchez

Which that, the WAAS or the XM download. I'll assume the latter given what
you've cited below, but please correct me if that's wrong.

I read about the XM download here in messages discussing events at Oshkosh.
However, nothing in the text you've cited disagrees with this. The GDL 69
integrates with the MX20 and CNX 80...but the 430? I don't see that
stated.

(Unless elsewhere it is stated that the 2.0.4 software for the 430/530 adds
that capability).

- Andrew

Andrew:
I'm not sure where you read that the Garmin GNS480 (or what used to be called
the CNX80) will interface with the GDL-69 for weather downloading. Perhaps you
misread this press release on www.aero-news.net.

It would be great to have the GNS480 as a navigator and MFD. Unfortunately at
the moment it looks like the GNS480 will accept input from the GTX330
transponder for TIS-B. I don't see any reference to FIS-B information. Could
you please quote your source on that?

http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav....af4-9826-4200-
b72f-bee74bc875f2&Dynamic=1

Garmin Announces XM Weather Interface
Tue, 27 Jul '04

WxWorx weather to be available thru XM Weather on G1000, MX20 with new
GDL-69/69A
Garmin today announced at AirVenture 2004 that they will provide a new weather
information service for their G1000 and MX20 units using the company's new
GDL-69/69A XM weather downlink units. TSO certification is expected by the end
of August.

The new service and hardware will provide real time weather, radar, lightning
coverage, TFR's and other information up linked by WxWorx to the XM service,
which will then retransmit the data to its subscriber's receivers. The G1000
and MX20 can then query the information that has been buffered and display a
wide range of information to the pilot.

The XM company currently has 2.1 million subscribers in the US, and have two
geostationary satellites covering CONUS. The "Rock" satellite provides coverage
focused on longitude 85W, and the "Roll" satellite focuses its coverage on
115W. Together, the two satellites cover the country on the S-band, which is
impervious to the type of disruptions commonly seen on services such as
DirecTV. The new XM weather boxes from Garmin are capable of receiving and
combining the signals from both satellites to provide total coverage. It is
expected that the range of the signal will increase some due to altitude
differences, but Rob MacKenzie of XM did not elaborate on the extent of the
additional coverage.

The service is expected to become available in September, and will consist of
two tiers of service, "Aviator Lite" and "Aviator." The former will be priced
at $29.95 per month and will provide basic weather information. The latter will
be priced at $49.95 and will provide the user with what Garmin describes as the
"deluxe" weather information package.

There were a number of other announcements from Garmin; the GDL-49 satellite
weather unit's software version 2.0.4 was released some two weeks ago and is
being provided to customers at no charge. The unit increases performance of the
unit by some 30 to 40 percent.

The CNX-80 product, which Garmin acquired when it purchased the UPS avionics
division, will be renamed to the GNS-480 in August, when it is expected that
enhanced capabilities will be certified. The GNS-480 will support Gamma-3 WAAS,
Traffic Information Service (TIS) data link from the GTX-33 remote transponder
or the GTX-330 panel-mount transponder. Software upgrades to the existing
CNX-80 user base will be provided at no charge.

Finally, ANN asked Garmin's Aviation Marketing Manager, Tim Casey, if there was
any truth to the rumor that Garmin had instituted a Minimum Retail Pricing
policy, and if dealers would be barred from doing business with Garmin if they
did not follow the policy. MRP policies establish that dealers cannot sell
product for less than what the manufacture establishes as the minimum price.
Mr. Casey confirmed that the company has indeed instituted an MRP policy, but
that there are no penalties in the program that would result in termination of
the dealer agreement.

FMI: www.garmin.com

Email This Article to a Friend
Link to this Article
Discuss This Topic

Old August 19th 04, 11:39 PM
Andrew Gideon

paul k. sanchez wrote:

I'm not sure where you read that the Garmin GNS480 (or what used to be
called the CNX80) will interface with the GDL-69 for weather downloading.

[...]

Oh, I see now what you're writing.

Could you please quote your source on that?

As I wrote before, here. I believe it was in the thread "OSH '04 -- Best ever?" which
then spawned "Garmin taking a page from you-know-who?".

It's certainly possible that I misread something, or mistook the UPS GPS for the MFD; I
don't keep all those various part numbers in my head unfortunately (CNX-80, MX-20, ???).

And perhaps the G-1000 too:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....supernews.com

- Andrew
Old August 20th 04, 04:42 PM
paul k. sanchez

It's certainly possible that I misread something, or mistook the UPS GPS for
the MFD; I don't keep all those various part numbers in my head unfortunately
(CNX-80, MX-20, ???).

Andrew:
Perhaps I have too much time on my hands and read pilot guides/installation
guides way too often.

Wish you well.

Old August 20th 04, 04:55 PM
Andrew Gideon

paul k. sanchez wrote:

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands and read pilot
guides/installation guides way too often.

Perhaps so, but you've educated me so *I* appreciate it.

Of course, you've left me even more puzzled than before about Garmin's plans
WRT the UPS GPS and the 430/530 and XM.

- Andrew

Old August 20th 04, 05:50 PM
Mike Rapoport

I expect the XM weather to be introduced at the same time the 430/530 get
upgraded to WAAS.

Mike
MU-2

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Old August 21st 04, 12:36 AM
Morgans

"paul k. sanchez" wrote \

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles' wings
2011 south perimeter road, suite g
fort lauderdale, florida 33309-7135
305-389-1742 wireless
954-776-0527 fax
954-345-4276 home/fax

www.iflyqpa.com/cas

Paul, if you do not have your newsreader program set to plain text, instead
of HTML, how about changing it? In order to read your text, I have to
enlarge it.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 21st 04, 08:04 AM
Tom S.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I expect the XM weather to be introduced at the same time the 430/530 get
upgraded to WAAS.

Or you can get a CNX80 and subscribe to WSI

Amateur Review of the Garmin GPSMAP 296 GPS Rhett Piloting 10 March 23rd 05 01:16 AM
garmin 296 Robert M. Gary Piloting 12 June 17th 04 10:14 PM
garmin 296 Robert M. Gary Piloting 1 June 16th 04 06:59 PM
Garmin DME arc weidnress Dave Touretzky Instrument Flight Rules 5 October 2nd 03 02:04 AM
Garmin 90 Database Updates Discontinued Val Christian Piloting 14 August 20th 03 09:32 PM