C182 overhaul

Old September 8th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Chris

Default C182 overhaul

I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is
my friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that.
We do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed
with the regular maintenance.

Thanks
Chris, NM
Old September 8th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Chris wrote:
I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966) and we are close to TBO. I know, Google is
my friend but, I would like to ask about some personal
experience/recommendations (preferably with price-tag) on overhaul, new
engines or maybe even an upgrade. Also, I would like to have some
recommendation about mechanic shops in the Southwest who would do that.
We do have two mechanics on the field but they are rather overwhelmed
with the regular maintenance.

Thanks
Chris, NM

It's not a C-182, but in 2001 we changed out the Lyc O-360 in my '65
Skyhawk. I elected to get a factory OH replacement. I received full core
value on my old engine that was at TBO and running fine. We pulled the
engine since 1) it was near TBO, and 2) the condition of the oil pump
gears was unknown. I have been very happy with the engine. At the same
time I sent the wet vacuum pump out for overhaul. During the OH the
complete firewall forward was cleaned up and organized. The old engine
had been installed in ~1977. Only issue I remember was mounting the
engine to the Dynafocal mounts. Just took a lot of time aligning the
engine. It now has about 200 hours on it.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old September 8th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ronnie

The company Texas Skyways has a good reputation for
Cessna 182 work and mods. I've read several good articles
about them. No personal experience, however. They are
located at Bourne Stage Field, just W / NW of San Antonio, TX.

Ronnie

http://www.txskyways.com/

ink.net...

Old September 8th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

No question the best thing to do is the Pponk upgrade. You end up with
275 hp and the cost is pretty close to the same as a factory overhaul.
Avoid Continental cylinders like the plague. Best cylinder is the
ECI's, second best is the Milleniums although the Pponk people really
don't want to sell you those as they do not stand behind their cylinders
for warantee work.

Old September 8th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
DL

I've been very happy with an exchange O470-L that I did with America's
Aircraft engines in Oklahoma 400+ hours ago. If you happen to put in a
Sky-tec starter, be sure its part number ends in a "3", not a "1". e-mail
me if you want further details; remove the capital letters and/or anti-spam
stuff in the e-mail id.

DL

ink.net...

Old September 9th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

there is a very good overhaul shop in Las Vegas NV
he's not on airport, but your mechanics can do the remove, ship, and replace
let me know and I'll forward the information

BT

ink.net...

Old September 9th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer[_1_]

..
Avoid Continental cylinders like the plague. Best cylinder is the ECI's,
second best is the Milleniums although the Pponk people really

Are those the ECI's with the 800 hour throw away AD? And if you used the ECI
cylinders, would you specify the ECI throw away connecting rods also?

Old September 9th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_2_]

Chris wrote:

I co-own a Cessna 182J (1966)

If you're not already a member, join CPA. There's a wealth of information on their forums. The subject of
182 overhaul options is discussed frequently. Lots of fans of the Pponk, Texas Skyways, and other
options.

Mike

Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172) Andrew Gideon Owning 21 January 15th 06 06:11 PM
Instrument overhaul - Are all overhauls created equal? RonLee Home Built 1 February 7th 05 06:35 PM
Major Overhaul Jim Weir Owning 10 June 8th 04 05:12 PM
Engine... Overhaul? / Replace? advice please text news Owning 11 February 17th 04 04:44 PM
O-200 overhaul & Vari EZ value Steve Ruse Home Built 13 October 21st 03 09:52 PM