Jim Weir's OSH Chairs

Old August 14th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Jim Weir's OSH Chairs

As some of you know, Jim Weir missed OSH this year, for the first time
in 30+ years.

He did, however, ceremoniously ship his beloved OSH airshow chairs to
Montblack, for use at the rec.aviation gathering.

Here's a photo of me putting Jim's chair to maximum use during the
show:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T3A421E8D

Jim, we did put your chair in the middle of the circle, at the party,
and I personally drank several toasts to you and Gail...I think. ;-)

However, even though I THOUGHT I took pictures of that little ceremony,
I don't seem to have one on my camera. Montblack? Eric? Jim? John?
Did anyone take a picture of Jim's empty chair in the circle?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Chilcoat

If you're looking for an empty chair at OSH, here's one:
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/FlightLine.jpg Of course as soon as I
finished taking the picture I sat down in it again. Dave's high power chair
shown, (which had a setting called "Ludicrous Speed" that would actually
allow wheelies!) is now available, but I doubt that it would fit in Atlas.
We had to haul it out on a trailer (no, I didn't drag it on the back of the
Archer; we drove).

oups.com...

Old October 6th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

("Bob Chilcoat" wrote)
Dave's high power chair shown, (which had a setting called "Ludicrous
Speed" that would actually allow wheelies!) is now available, but I doubt
that it would fit in Atlas. We had to haul it out on a trailer (no, I
didn't drag it on the back of the Archer; we drove).

Is Dave's high powered chair for sale?

Montblack

Old October 7th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Chilcoat

Sorry, no. All of Dave's medical equipment either went back to rental
suppliers, or was donated to the Ohio ALS Association. The chair fell into
the latter category, I believe. Paid for by Medicare.

Last Christmas, we had a big family reunion in Columbus. Almost all the
known Chilcoats made it
(http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/ReunionGroup.jpg). I looked out into the
hallway at the hotel and was amazed to see Dave in his chair with my
grandson Tristan on his lap, doing wheelies up and down the hallway.
Trystan loved it, and I'm sure Dave did, too. He was able to see 162 mph
indicated in his Dodge Stealth a few years ago. Quite a character. Loved
anything fast, even a wheelchair.

("Bob Chilcoat" wrote)

Old October 7th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Chilcoat

Oh, yeah, one other thing while I'm thinking of it. Dave's daughter, Jenny
is a classically trained soprano (MA, Voice, Manhatten School of Music) who
is moving from classical music to Christian pop. She wrote and recorded
this song a few weeks before Dave died:
http://www.jennifershawmusic.com/audio/Godspeed.mp3 and then played it at
his memorial service. Neat song. She had to play it rather than perform
it. There was no way that she was going to get through it live. We were
all crying.

Sorry for the maudlin posts, but I've been thinking about Dave today. I
just found out this afternoon that an old friend I haven't seen in a couple
of years is also going rapidly downhill from ALS. Life can be a real downer
sometimes. Need to go fly.