SDF Approach?

Old April 17th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default SDF Approach?

Old April 17th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote in
t:

In wanting to find out more about it, I pull it up on
Airnav, and see that Runway 23 has an SDF approach. It looks like
a LOC approach, no OM, MM, IM, or glideslope. So my question is,
what exactly is this type of approach, and how does it differ from
a LOC approach?

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

Old April 17th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

On Apr 17, 12:04 am, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote:

/the course is not as accurate (wider), otherwise probably close to
the same

Old April 17th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 17th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

John Godwin wrote:
In wanting to find out more about it, I pull it up on
Airnav, and see that Runway 23 has an SDF approach. It looks like
a LOC approach, no OM, MM, IM, or glideslope. So my question is,
what exactly is this type of approach, and how does it differ from
a LOC approach?

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

The important thing to know is that you fly it just like you fly a localizer...
just don't be surprised if the runway is angled away from you a little bit when
you break out. I used to have to fly an SDF approach into Greenville, NC all
the time. Washington Center would give radar vectors until I picked up the NDB
that was the IAF for the approach, then it was all on me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 17th 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:45:40 -0000, John Godwin
wrote in
:

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

How does an SDF approach differ from an Localizer-type Directional Aid
(LDA) approach?
Old April 17th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:45:40 -0000, John Godwin
wrote in
:

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

How does an SDF approach differ from an Localizer-type Directional Aid
(LDA) approach?

A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
is 6 or 12.
Old April 17th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 07:08:08 -0400, Ron Natalie
wrote in :

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:45:40 -0000, John Godwin
wrote in
:

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

How does an SDF approach differ from an Localizer-type Directional Aid
(LDA) approach?

A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
is 6 or 12.

Thanks. My instrument training didn't cover SDF approaches. Are they
new or just few in number?

Old April 17th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
is 6 or 12.

Thanks. My instrument training didn't cover SDF approaches. Are they
new or just few in number?

Old; few in number. Very few in number.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old April 18th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
A LOC (whether aligned with the runway or LDA) will have a tighter
width. While it varies in angular dimension because from approach
to approach, the loc angular width is about 3 degrees. The SDF
is 6 or 12.

Thanks. My instrument training didn't cover SDF approaches. Are they
new or just few in number?

Old; few in number. Very few in number.

Something like 26 in the entire country.