When is just clicking PTT an acknowledgement?

Old December 16th 03, 04:11 AM
Ben Jackson

Default When is just clicking PTT an acknowledgement?

Somewhere I read that you should NOT acknowledge transmissions by just
pressing PTT briefly. Now, I had never heard that before, nor done it,
but since then I think I've heard it happen.

Can someone who is familiar with this explain the PTT-ack customs so I
know how to interpret it?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 16th 03, 04:39 AM
John T

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

Somewhere I read that you should NOT acknowledge transmissions by just
pressing PTT briefly. Now, I had never heard that before, nor done
it, but since then I think I've heard it happen.

Can someone who is familiar with this explain the PTT-ack customs so I
know how to interpret it?

You're right, you shouldn't do it. However, it's not very uncommon to hear
both pilots and ATC use this technique. Typically it's two clicks on the
mic to acknowledge the previous transmission (just like saying "copy" or
"roger").

But you shouldn't do it because it's ambiguous in meaning and sender.
Anybody could have clicked the mic - intentionally or accidentally.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old December 16th 03, 08:41 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ben,

When is just clicking PTT an acknowledgement?

Never, ever. Period.

There's a lot of supposedly cool stuff being said and done on the radio
which in the end is just hogwash. This is one example. Others are "with
you", "tally-ho", "no joy" or the ample use of "Roger" where "Wilco"
would be appropriate. If it's not in the AIM or the PC/G, don't use it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 16th 03, 08:54 AM
Rob Perkins

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:39:01 GMT, "John T" wrote:

But you shouldn't do it because it's ambiguous in meaning and sender.
Anybody could have clicked the mic - intentionally or accidentally.

I did it today, to ack ATC's "Cessna 342 Roger". I didn't even think
about it, just hit the xmit button quickly.

I had trouble hearing ATC today anyway. They were quiet, so I had to
listen very carefully! Didn't even occur to me to turn up the volume
until I had landed safely.

Stay ahead of the airplane everyone! Merry 100th-year-of-flying! *MY*
FBO is offering 50% off airplane rental from the 17th through the
20th. Too bad the weather seems destined to be hard IFR for the rest
of the week!

Rob
Old December 16th 03, 12:58 PM
Dave S

The only time I've seen that it is "appropriate" is when the response is
more courtesy, and NOT a matter of operational safety... of course, by
taking that tack... any communication that is appropriate to acknowledge
with just 2 taps of the mike is probaby not "appropriate" in its own right.

Just my 2 cents..
Dave

Old December 16th 03, 04:03 PM
Peter R.

Nathan Young ) wrote:

A lot of pilots use the double-click of the PTT as an acknowledgement
to a transmission that didn't need to be acknowledged. It is
primarily used as a courtesy to the controller to let them know that
you heard their last transmission - even if a reply wasn't required.

I was taught this, too. Two clicks in response to a transmission not
requiring a reply, such as "Have a good flight" offered by Clearance
Delivery after reading back a clearance, or "Winds 250, 25 gusting to 38"
volunteered by tower (without being asked) when on final.

--
Peter

Old December 16th 03, 04:16 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Yeppers on this one!!! Me too....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old December 16th 03, 04:23 PM
Peter R.

Nathan Young ) wrote:

Ie taxi instructions, hold-short, etc.

Really? Every towered airport (mostly in the Northeast US) in which I have
flown states in the ATIS "readback of all hold-short instructions
required." Additionally, I often hear the ground controller repeating a
hold short instruction and requiring the readback be verbatim.

I cannot imagine a ground controller allowing someone to double-click a
response to a hold short instruction.

--
Peter