Some more positive GA News

Old February 2nd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

Default Some more positive GA News

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Sadly, light twins have nearly become economically unfeasible for anything
but multi-engine training. Between acquisition, fuel, and maintenance
expenses, they've been driven to near extinction.

If you stay current there is the arguable added advantage of the extra
engine, and the duplicate vacuum and electrical systems, and the big plus of
easy loading of heavy items. I brought a snowblower home from across the
country in the back of ours a few years ago - try fitting one of those in
the back of any single - and have transported lots of equipment over the
years. We went to a trade show a few years back and had so much gear in the
back it would barely all fit into the rental car.

The extra engine and duplicate systems have also come in handy. Over the
years we have owned this particular aircraft I have had one complete engine
failure (sheared oil pump shaft) and two vacuum pump failures. When your
engine takes a hike over the mountains of WV it's nice to have another
completely good one still making noise.

However, it definitely is getting too expensive to keep and operate since
the hauling type trips are getting more and more rare. We need to find a
fast single that is easy to put a 100-lb piece of ungainly demo equipment
into, and easy to get it back out.

BDS

Old February 2nd 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

BDS wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote

Sadly, light twins have nearly become economically unfeasible for anything
but multi-engine training. Between acquisition, fuel, and maintenance
expenses, they've been driven to near extinction.

If you stay current there is the arguable added advantage of the extra
engine, and the duplicate vacuum and electrical systems, and the big plus of
easy loading of heavy items. I brought a snowblower home from across the
country in the back of ours a few years ago - try fitting one of those in
the back of any single - and have transported lots of equipment over the
years. We went to a trade show a few years back and had so much gear in the
back it would barely all fit into the rental car.

The added safety truly is arguable. I've seen comparisons over the
years that don't show any real advantage for twins. The added safety
provided for an engine failure in cruise is offset by the added risk of
an engine failure during takeoff and initial climb.

And the fuselage of most light twins is based on a single so the cargo
space isn't much different other than having baggage storage in the
nose, but you won't fit a snow blower in the nose on most light twins.

The extra engine and duplicate systems have also come in handy. Over the
years we have owned this particular aircraft I have had one complete engine
failure (sheared oil pump shaft) and two vacuum pump failures. When your
engine takes a hike over the mountains of WV it's nice to have another
completely good one still making noise.

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar redundancy
(other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

However, it definitely is getting too expensive to keep and operate since
the hauling type trips are getting more and more rare. We need to find a
fast single that is easy to put a 100-lb piece of ungainly demo equipment
into, and easy to get it back out.

Yes, it is probably almost as cheap to operate a single turbine engine
as it is two piston engines.

Matt
Old February 2nd 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Matt Whiting wrote in
news
BDS wrote:
[...]

Depends on proficiency, mostly.

And the fuselage of most light twins is based on a single so the cargo
space isn't much different other than having baggage storage in the
nose, but you won't fit a snow blower in the nose on most light twins.

The extra engine and duplicate systems have also come in handy. Over
the years we have owned this particular aircraft I have had one
complete engine failure (sheared oil pump shaft) and two vacuum pump
failures. When your engine takes a hike over the mountains of WV
it's nice to have another completely good one still making noise.

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar redundancy
(other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

mmm, not really. Where you gonna put a second generator?

However, it definitely is getting too expensive to keep and operate
since the hauling type trips are getting more and more rare. We need
to find a fast single that is easy to put a 100-lb piece of ungainly
demo equipment into, and easy to get it back out.

Yes, it is probably almost as cheap to operate a single turbine engine
as it is two piston engines.

Depends on the pistons 1

Bertie
Old February 2nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

"Matt Whiting" wrote

The added safety truly is arguable. I've seen comparisons over the
years that don't show any real advantage for twins. The added safety
provided for an engine failure in cruise is offset by the added risk of
an engine failure during takeoff and initial climb.

Taken as a whole I realize the statistics say this is true. Whether those
statistics will apply to a given pilot may depend somewhat on proficiency
and recent experience, recurrency training, and how that individual
approaches his/her flying. Lack of proficiency in any aircraft can get you
killed just as easily as having a lackadaisical attitude towards flying can
when the chips are down.

And the fuselage of most light twins is based on a single so the cargo
space isn't much different other than having baggage storage in the
nose, but you won't fit a snow blower in the nose on most light twins.

The rear seating area of a Seneca has its own door as does the luggage area.
Those rear seats can be taken out in less than a minute, which leaves you
with a massive space that is very easy to access. I realize the Saratoga
has the same fuselage, but the Saratoga isn't exactly fast.

OTOH, neither is a Seneca which reminds me of a radio exchange I had one
evening going through Patuxent airspace. The female controller asked for my
airspeed and then told me not to exceed 170 knots. I told her that
unfortunately that wasn't going to be a problem. :)

BDS

Old February 2nd 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:29:33 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar redundancy
(other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

mmm, not really. Where you gonna put a second generator?

The Malibu has two alternators.
Old February 2nd 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Peter Clark wrote in
:

wrote:

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar redundancy
(other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

mmm, not really. Where you gonna put a second generator?

The Malibu has two alternators.

OK, did not know that..

Still, if I was doing serious work in weather and at night, it'd have to be
a twin.

Bertie

Old February 2nd 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:43:00 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Peter Clark wrote in
:

wrote:

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar redundancy
(other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

mmm, not really. Where you gonna put a second generator?

The Malibu has two alternators.

OK, did not know that..

Still, if I was doing serious work in weather and at night, it'd have to be
a twin.

Or at least a turboprop?
Old February 2nd 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Peter Clark wrote in
:

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:43:00 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Peter Clark wrote in
m:

wrote:

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar
redundancy (other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

mmm, not really. Where you gonna put a second generator?

The Malibu has two alternators.

OK, did not know that..

Still, if I was doing serious work in weather and at night, it'd have
to be a twin.

Or at least a turboprop?

For that kind of stuff I'd rather have two pistons. I've had two engine
failures in pistons and six in turbines. You can become proficient enough
to handle an engine failure on takeoff but nothing is going to help you if
your only donkey quits and you're over mountains.. i'm not averse to the
odd fight in IMC in a single, even at night, I'm just saying if I was
working in an airplane every night in all weather, I'd rather have a Navajo
than a Caravan.

Bertie
Old February 2nd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

BDS wrote:

OTOH, neither is a Seneca which reminds me of a radio exchange I had one
evening going through Patuxent airspace. The female controller asked for my
airspeed and then told me not to exceed 170 knots. I told her that
unfortunately that wasn't going to be a problem. :)

Well, you can always dive! :-)

The one twin that looks very appealing to me is the Tecnam P2006. It
has similar fuel economy to the singles with similar performance, yet
the advantage of the second engine for the reasons you mentioned
earlier. The only problem is that it is a new airplane and you can't
get one for less than probably $400K, which is about $300K out of my league.

It also has the advantage of being one of the very few light twins with
the wing on top where it belongs!!

Matt
Old February 2nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Yes, redundant systems are nice, but you can get similar redundancy
(other than the engine itself obviously) on a single.

mmm, not really. Where you gonna put a second generator?

The Malibu has two alternators.

Peter, you had to go and respond to the Buttnip after my filter had no
nicely automatically deleted his ignorant response. Now why did you go
and do that? :-)

Matt