Flying and the New Family

Old December 13th 03, 12:04 AM
Maule Driver

"Nasir"
"Jim" wrote in message
More recently, we spent 4-5 years aggressively using our Maule to

travel
see friends and recreate *every* weekend. Lot's of flying and lots of

fun.

Huh? recreate every weekend??!! now THAT is a short gestation period!!

thought our first one popped out early at only 7 1/2 months!

I think he meant REcreate (as in recreation), not PROcreate..or did I miss
the joke completely?

Thank you - that's what I meant. However now that you mention it,
unsuccessful procreation is recreation. A worthy Maule mission.

re-create requires the hyphen Jim :-)

Old December 13th 03, 01:24 AM
John T

"Jim" wrote in message

lol don't worry... they'll come back... Christmas is coming

Here I was thinking you were going to say "they'll come back...right after
graduation".

I'm thinking of leaving no forwarding address after mine heads off to
college...

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old December 13th 03, 02:58 AM
EDR

Marco,
I went from 150 hours, the year before my first child was born, to 17
the year after he was born. My second child was born a year and a half
later. My log book shows 16, 5, 3, 25, 13, 18, 40, 39, 93, 81, and 77
so far this year. The years with 13 and 18 were spent outside the
continental USA. As the children got older, the time to go flying
became more available. As you can see from the last three years, the
hours have gone up as family travel increased. The last three years
have been almost exclusively high performance rental ($100+), so as the
aircraft speed went up, the travel time went down.

My situation is different. I have been MR MOM since my second child was
born and I have a spouse that travelled as part of her job, so I was on
call 24/7, so to speak. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything,
though!

When my wife's father died out of state, a friend loaned me his
airplane to get my wife to her mother's side. The kids were 4 and 2, it
was the second child's first flight. For the trip home, I gave each of
the kids a grease pencil and they had fun drawing on the rear windows
for and hour and a half. After that trip, every time we drove past the
airport, the 2 year old would gleefully ask, "Daddy, are we going
flying again?" Music to my ears!
Old December 13th 03, 05:14 AM
Gene Seibel

Take the kids and go flying. A day flying to some historic or
interesting spot is worth 2 weeks in school.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message ...
Hi all. I've noticed a considerable decrease in flight hours since my son
was born a little over a year ago. My wife is also 5 months pregnant with
another so flying time may suffer further decline. I'm wondering...what are
some of your experiences during the life-changing event of a new family and
flying? Did you start flying more often after the kids hit a certain age?
What did you do to find more time?

I found that I can get *some* more flying in by waking up at 5:30 Saturday
morning or flying after 10 PM on other nights. Don't get me wrong, I love my
family and thank God for everything but darnit, I love flying too!

Thoughts?

Regards,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com

Old December 13th 03, 03:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John T wrote:

I'm thinking of leaving no forwarding address after mine heads off to
college...

We're moving to Carolina shortly after my stepson heads to college.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old December 13th 03, 09:12 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Maule Driver wrote:

So where are you planning to park the Maule?

Dunno yet. We expect to be in the area near Asheville and hope to have a small
farm. Most of the flat land around there is vertical, however, so having our
own field won't be in it.

I may not have it by that time anyway. The savings account keeps shrinking, and
my current plans are to get the top of the wings painted in a month or two, get
an annual inspection, and sell it. Maybe a job will come through before then,
though.

Old December 13th 03, 09:43 PM
Maule Driver

Beautiful country up there and great people. Good luck.

We'll sweat it out down in the piedmont in the mean time.

Old December 13th 03, 10:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Maule Driver wrote:

We'll sweat it out down in the piedmont in the mean time.

That's also nice territory. My father was from Hickory, and I still have kin
in Catawba county.