Goodbye AOPA and Bank of America

Old January 24th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Default Goodbye AOPA and Bank of America

Although I never really liked the MBNA web page for the AOPA credit card,
I somehow managed to put up with it while convincing myself that it was
worth it for the added discount that I got on certain aviation
purchases... Well, I was attempting to log onto the Bank of America site
last night in order to see if the AOPA charge had been posted and
encountered enough problems with both the site and subsequently their
tech support line that it finally pushed me over the edge... In order to
reset my password, I had answered all the security questions, but I did
not know the exact date of my most charge (since these days, it's only
getting charged the automatic AOPA renewal amount)... After getting fed up
with them, I asked if I had provided enough information in order to be
able to *cancel* my account... Turns out I had... Goodbye Bank of
America... AOPA, well, you get got caught in the fallout...
Old January 24th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
news
[...]

AOPA would probably like to know about this. I hope you drop them a note as
well.

Jay B

Old January 24th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

"Jay Beckman" wrote
AOPA would probably like to know about this. I hope you drop them a note

as
well.

Jay B

You're right, AOPA should hear about it, but they'd probably give you the
BOA customer service number where you'd he

"We at BOA, as well as our card sponsor and your fine association, AOPA,
take your personal financial security very seriously. We sincerely
apologize if our security measures have caused you any inconvenience, but
we're sure that you'll agree that with the added risks of today's
technologically complex society, your financial and identity security are
our number one concerns."

Barf. The problem is that they don't give a rat's ass.

I had the same type of problem with my mutual fund account. I had several
accounts that didn't have my name exactly the same. Some used my middle
initial, some my first initial and middle name, some with a III at the
end... but ALL under the same SS#, joint tenant with the same wife, with the
same SS#, and all at the same address where we receive 1099's and statements
for all accounts.

I couldn't log in because they said I wasn't me. It took me 2 months and
about a dozen phone calls. All I kept getting was a statement similar to
the above.

Jim

Old January 24th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune

Grumman-581 wrote:
[...]

You have made a wise choice to dump AOPA. Anyone that can publish
illiterate statements like this: ""Airspace restrictions do nothing
more then negatively impact the users of the national airspace system
whom are law abiding citizens" deserve to be dumped. Paging Mrs.
Crabapple, 8th grade grammar teacher....

Old January 24th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jan 24, 8:48 am, Grumman-581
wrote:
[...]

I woke up this morning and thought to myself "I wonder if Grumman-581
from usenet is happy with his Bank of America/AOPA credit card?". Lo
and behold, you posted this informative thread, so I don't have to
wonder anymore. Thanks.

Old January 24th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

This reminded me. I just cancelled my AOPA MBNA now BOA card 15
minutes ago. That 5% fuel discount used to be worth it, but now the
earning points thing is totally not worth the trouble.

Old January 24th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:48:24 -0800, Grumman-581 wrote
(in article ):

[...]

USAA is a lot easier to work with.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 24th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

Skylune wrote:

You have made a wise choice to dump AOPA. Anyone that can publish
illiterate statements like this: ""Airspace restrictions do nothing
more then negatively impact the users of the national airspace system
whom are law abiding citizens" deserve to be dumped. Paging Mrs.
Crabapple, 8th grade grammar teacher....

It is pitiful that your most productive characteristic is to
comment negatively on someone elses grammar while offering
nothing else in return for the bandwidth you wasted.
Old January 24th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

M wrote:

This reminded me. I just cancelled my AOPA MBNA now BOA card 15
minutes ago. That 5% fuel discount used to be worth it, but now the
earning points thing is totally not worth the trouble.

Well we're all payy for you. Perhaps Phil Boyer should have
personally flown to your airport pumped the free gas into your
airplane...