Eurofighter technical problems.

Old May 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Eric Moore

Default Eurofighter technical problems.

It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?
Old May 25th 04, 11:00 AM
Prowlus

(Eric Moore) wrote in message m...
It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

given time i'd say about 12 months. Its only a software fault right?
being that it will only screw up the jet if it flew into cloud .
Man all these prolems remind me of the time the RAF first put the
hunter into service
Old May 25th 04, 11:00 AM
John Cook

On 24 May 2004 21:38:20 -0700, (Eric Moore)
wrote:

It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

Years!!!.

Old May 25th 04, 05:42 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
(Prowlus) wrote:

(Eric Moore) wrote in message
m...
It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething
problems. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

given time i'd say about 12 months. Its only a software fault right?
being that it will only screw up the jet if it flew into cloud .

....or if flown "aggressively."

Yeah - I mean, how often would a modern fighter jet be flown through
clouds or "aggressively"?

As long as they keep it in slow turns on cloudless days, it's going to
be just fine.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old May 25th 04, 05:44 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
(Prowlus) writes:
(Eric Moore) wrote in message m...
It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems. See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

given time i'd say about 12 months.

Huh? That's like saying "If I were an Elk, I could wear it on my
watch-chain. If I had a watch-chain."

Its only a software fault right?

You're joking. How many lines of code? How many processes? How many
processors? What sort of integration tools?
If it were easy, they wouldn't have written the problem in in the
first place.

being that it will only screw up the jet if it flew into cloud .
Man all these prolems remind me of the time the RAF first put the
hunter into service

You mean fielding a fighter with such short range that if coulsn't
complete its designed point defence mission, or fire its weapons, and
with a powerplant that needed a complete redesign before it was
acceptable in service? (We won't get into the Great Airbrake Scandal.)
--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old May 25th 04, 10:11 PM
Simon Robbins

"John Cook" wrote in message
Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

Years!!!.

As does any modern military aircraft. Software updates are an incremental
process on today's platforms. And just when one box is finally stable and
meets requirements, it's obsolete and unsupportable so they rip it out and
insert a new one, with it's own set of deficiencies and bugs.

Si

Old May 25th 04, 10:22 PM
Ian

"Eric Moore" wrote in message
It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems.

See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

Can't get the URL to work properly on my machine, but if its the report I
think it is, a lot of the issues have either gone away (were just arguing
over the phrases some release documents used) or are only as a result of the
so called independent assessors (who were funded by the MoD!!!) not really
liking the UK prime company. Funny how all four partner countries have the
same flight control software, yet only the UK are "unhappy" If they're that
unhappy with it, how come a pair of the RAF jets have just flown over my
house??

Old May 25th 04, 10:38 PM
Paul F Austin

"Ian" wrote in message

"Eric Moore" wrote in message
It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems.

See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

Can't get the URL to work properly on my machine, but if its the report I
think it is, a lot of the issues have either gone away (were just arguing
over the phrases some release documents used) or are only as a result of

the
so called independent assessors (who were funded by the MoD!!!) not really
liking the UK prime company. Funny how all four partner countries have the
same flight control software, yet only the UK are "unhappy" If they're

that
unhappy with it, how come a pair of the RAF jets have just flown over my
house??

That may be the case for most of the bugs cited by QinetiQ but some are
serious:

"Corruption" of the flight control computer system means that it could
suddenly switch from "in-flight" mode to "ground" mode in mid-air, leading
to "immediately catastrophic" results.

and

The cockpit flight information displays "frequently fail in flight", and
therefore, whenever a Eurofighter is taken into cloud or bad weather, it
should again be with two pilots.

sound quite serious, although I don't know how a second pilot will help in
the second case.

Old May 25th 04, 11:58 PM
Alisha's Addict

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:22:43 +0100, "Ian"
wrote:

"Eric Moore" wrote in message
m...
It looks like the F-22 isn't the only aircraft with teething problems.

See:

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040524222142.i5vufze7.html

Anyone care to speculate on how long it will take de-bug this aircraft?

Can't get the URL to work properly on my machine, but if its the report I
think it is, a lot of the issues have either gone away (were just arguing
over the phrases some release documents used) or are only as a result of the
so called independent assessors (who were funded by the MoD!!!) not really
liking the UK prime company. Funny how all four partner countries have the
same flight control software, yet only the UK are "unhappy" If they're that
unhappy with it, how come a pair of the RAF jets have just flown over my
house??

More news from The Register :
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/25/mod_leak/

Pete Lilleyman

(please get rid of ".getrid" to reply direct)
(don't get rid of the dontspam though ;-)